POST-CHRISTMAS DRAFT

Karnage84

I took a look at 2018 vs 2017 to get a feel for what the differences were and what we need to do in order to improve. This is an attempt at fixing some of the issues and getting back over .500 next year.

Coaching Staff

Lions hire Shane Waldron as OC (Rams passing game co-ordinator/TE coach)

Coming from a potent Rams attack, Waldron has NE connections. He is in the discussions for a HC job but I doubt he'll have a real chance without putting some time in as a coordinator. This should help improve our passing game which took a huge hit in 2018.

Free Agency

Desean Jackson, WR

Tyrone Crawford, DE

John Cyprien, S

Trey Flowers, DE

Malcolm Brown, DT

Jackson, Crawford and Cyprien appear to be on the roster bubble. Jackson seems to want out of Tampa and he has a local connection from his time at UM. Crawford is from the area and would fill an immediate need. Flowers and Brown also fill some holes and have the MP connection.

DRAFT

1) Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

2) Zach Allen, Edge, Boston College

3) Collin Johnson, WR, Texas

4) TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa

5) Devin Bush, LB, Michigan

6) Khalil Hodge, ILB, Buffalo

6) Edwin Alexander, NT, LSU

7) Trey Adams, OT, Washington

7) Luaks Denis, S, Boston College

SUMMARY

My principal focus was addressing a couple items. Offense - Add some weapons to the passing attack (Jackson, Johnson, Hockenson) and add pieces to the OL (Adams) to help better protect Stafford and open up rushing lanes for KJ.

Defense - Our defense has improved in some areas and decreased in others. This emphasis on the defense should help bring both of these into line and create a much more dominant defense. Our defense has allowed 11 rushing TD's vs 18 last year. The yards per game are essentially the same but we have stopped teams from scoring on us on the ground. The opposite has occurred in the air. Opposing offenses scored 29 TD's vs 21 last year and we have 6 INT's vs 19. Fumbles have also gone down from 8 to 5. The turnover difference is significant and has to play some role in the L's on the season.

Ansah has a hefty price tag without the production to match. Crawford, Flowers and Allen are brought in to turn a weakness into a strength. Brown and Alexander will help to beef up the middle of the DL. Williams is a lock down corner that will be paired with Slay which should open things up for sacks and turnovers from the improved DL. Denis is a ballhawk safety who needs some development and improved tackling.

I would not want Desean Jackson in our locker room.  He seems to always be surrounded by drama.  Flowers would be a good addition.  The draft is deep in quality interior lineman so if we did bring in Malcom Brown it would have to be at a decent price.  Tyrone Crawford is a good player but seems like overkill.  I would prefer to sign a solid veteran G or DB.  

Zack Allen is projected to be a first round pick.  Devin Bush and Khalil Hodge are good LBs will probably be second round picks at worst.  

Overall, I think you picked some good players but some of the positioning is unrealistic.

13 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I would not want Desean Jackson in our locker room.  He seems to always be surrounded by drama.  Flowers would be a good addition.  The draft is deep in quality interior lineman so if we did bring in Malcom Brown it would have to be at a decent price.  Tyrone Crawford is a good player but seems like overkill.  I would prefer to sign a solid veteran G or DB.  

Zack Allen is projected to be a first round pick.  Devin Bush and Khalil Hodge are good LBs will probably be second round picks at worst.  

Overall, I think you picked some good players but some of the positioning is unrealistic.

I just went with the FanSpeak big board. You could be totally right but there are guys that do fall or don't go where we expected them to. There's a ton of time between now and then. Kerryon Johnson was a 6th round RB this time last year.

I like the addition of Waldron as OC.  Hopefully he can give us a more dynamic offense.   I wouldn't rule out Jackson, but I think he's angling for a new and bigger contract.  In that case I'd pass.  Flowers is a decent pickup, but has injury problems too.  The draft is deep in D- lineman, so I wouldn't spend a lot of money there.  I'd be looking for an OG and maybe a S and LB depth.   I like Greedy William (he'll have to add some bulk).  I'd add an O- lineman early 2nd or 3rd (lower if they sign a FA to start in place of Lang).  Load up on LB's and secondary.  Maybe even a late round QB.

16 minutes ago, lioneye22 said:

I like the addition of Waldron as OC.  Hopefully he can give us a more dynamic offense.   I wouldn't rule out Jackson, but I think he's angling for a new and bigger contract.  In that case I'd pass.  Flowers is a decent pickup, but has injury problems too.  The draft is deep in D- lineman, so I wouldn't spend a lot of money there.  I'd be looking for an OG and maybe a S and LB depth.   I like Greedy William (he'll have to add some bulk).  I'd add an O- lineman early 2nd or 3rd (lower if they sign a FA to start in place of Lang).  Load up on LB's and secondary.  Maybe even a late round QB.

We're going to lose Ansah, although with all of his injuries I'm not sure it's a significant loss in terms of production. We have had a challenge in putting someone opposite of him over the years. Which is one reason why I'm looking at doubling up at the DE spot in FA while still adding guys in the draft. Build up the depth and get back to having a decent DL. Maybe Brown is overkill but I feel like we could get him at a reasonable contract. Snacks is a huge difference maker in stopping the run but we've been getting killed in the passing game. Williams would be an instant impact player who could develop into one of the best in the league. Locking down the two sides would help our DL with some extra time.

Jackson would have to come at a reasonable contract and could be a solid #2/#3. I'd like to build back up some talent and depth on the offensive side, especially in the passing game. A foursome of Golladay/M.Jones/D. Jackson/C.Johnson would be one of the better combinations of WR's that Stafford has had to work with over the years.

This mock isn't a complete one - I would look at addressing the RG spot and safety as well.

What is your plan for the right side of the offensive line?

I think MJ and KG are already excellent deep threats, I think adding Jackson doesn't add a lot and we should be bringing in players who excel in the short/intermediate area.

I am not familiar enough with this draft class to comment on the players you drafted.

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

What is your plan for the right side of the offensive line?

I think MJ and KG are already excellent deep threats, I think adding Jackson doesn't add a lot and we should be bringing in players who excel in the short/intermediate area.

I am not familiar enough with this draft class to comment on the players you drafted.

There's a few OG's that will be available in FA. I'd be looking to bring in a guy who is 25-27. I'd probably look at a vet RT and then let Wagner, Crosby, Adams (R) and the vet compete for the starting spot.

Johnson is a HWS (Height, weight, speed) guy but isn't known for playing big. He does remind me of KG in a way. Waldron is a former TE and is the current Ram's TE coach. They've been getting production out of their guys. I think getting the big bodied guys more involved would help in moving the chains.

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

There's a few OG's that will be available in FA. I'd be looking to bring in a guy who is 25-27. I'd probably look at a vet RT and then let Wagner, Crosby, Adams (R) and the vet compete for the starting spot.

Johnson is a HWS (Height, weight, speed) guy but isn't known for playing big. He does remind me of KG in a way. Waldron is a former TE and is the current Ram's TE coach. They've been getting production out of their guys. I think getting the big bodied guys more involved would help in moving the chains.

What 25-27 year old guard would you bring in? What RT vet would you want to compete with the others? Which "big bodied guys" will be more involved? How involved will they be?

Bro hard to comment.a lot of these picks are wishful thinking..

Love the thought of Greedy. It's between him a couple others for me. Having a tough time making up my mind 

Feels like if you go greedy in rd one you may miss out on your dl... feels like you have no choice but to choose one in rd2 if you don't address it in fa I guess..

Archived