Bears @ Vikings GDT Dec 30 3:05pm

WindyCity

I understand the desire to fight to the end for a playoff bye, but if it were up to me, I'd follow the axiom suggesting the superiority of a bird in hand being greater and rest as many starters as possible in this game. Why risk injury for a pie-in-the-sky chance of a bye? 

I'm guessing the players who aren't practising so far this week won't be risked - Jackson, Robinson - and from the way Nagy circled around the question earlier in the week, I can totally see us playing the starters in the first half then potentially pulling them at half time depending on how the Rams game is going.

Interesting to see if we try to give Long some game time here before the Playoffs start.

I hope I am wrong, but this way I see it:

Bears aren't so good they can go to MN half hearted, resting banged up players, with a vanilla game plan and win. 

MN is 7 pt favorite. Game could turn into a route. 

I'd rather both teams secretly just agree to make it an exhibition game so there are no injuries.  That isn't going to happen though.  I think plan is to go all out for at least a half, but I think that is a bad mindset for players.  Not sure I would do it different if I was coach. Hard to throw away an outside chance at the bye and homefield (like they inadvertently did with Giants game).  But it's either all or nothing.  You can't dip your toe and beat desperate talented NFL teams in their stadium.

Few teams play Bears and have a great game next week.  49ers are going to get crushed in LA.  LA will be going all out securing their rest.  49ers are probably ready to go on vacation. 

I just hope no one gets hurt. 

Alternatively, and way I hope, but don't think it is:

Rams are cocky and overlook 9ers. 9ers look at this game as their SB or bowl game and give herculean effort.

Bears take Vikings game seriously and go all out. 

Bears beat Vikings and get bye. 

The game is at 3:25, I believe, not 3:05.

I don't believe the Bears will win this game. I believe the Rams will be beating the 49ers with relative ease at halftime, and Nagy will sit guys like Trubisky, Cohen, Howard, Mack, and Hicks. Cousins won't play particularly well either but they'll win, something like 24-13.

20 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The game is at 3:25, I believe, not 3:05.

I don't believe the Bears will win this game. I believe the Rams will be beating the 49ers with relative ease at halftime, and Nagy will sit guys like Trubisky, Cohen, Howard, Mack, and Hicks. Cousins won't play particularly well either but they'll win, something like 24-13.

we'll take it!

So what do we gain from not resting starters here? The saints and rams had to lose their last two games for us to get the first round bye and they both won last week so I don’t understand what we get out of playing this one. Kicking vikes out of the playoffs? 

11 minutes ago, Tyty said:

So what do we gain from not resting starters here? The saints and rams had to lose their last two games for us to get the first round bye and they both won last week so I don’t understand what we get out of playing this one. Kicking vikes out of the playoffs? 

Yes, why would we want to face the Vikings the following week after letting them beat us...Makes zero sense...

16 minutes ago, Tyty said:

This would be incorrect. If the Rams lose on Sunday and the Bears win, the Bears are the #2 because the records would be identical and the Bears have the head-to-head tiebreaker.

6 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Yes, why would we want to face the Vikings the following week after letting them beat us...Makes zero sense...

Wilson is dangerous in December and January, the Eagles are trending upwards sharply, and the Vikings are a solid team. There is no ideal opponent in round 1. I don't really care who they play because it's a tough match-up either way, and I don't think the Vikings beating the Bears 6-7 days prior has any bearing. In fact, it's tougher to beat a team 3 times, so if the Bears lose, that might be a better scenario.

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

This would be incorrect. If the Rams lose on Sunday and the Bears win, the Bears are the #2 because the records would be identical and the Bears have the head-to-head tiebreaker.

Wilson is dangerous in December and January, the Eagles are trending upwards sharply, and the Vikings are a solid team. There is no ideal opponent in round 1. I don't really care who they play because it's a tough match-up either way, and I don't think the Vikings beating the Bears 6-7 days prior has any bearing. In fact, it's tougher to beat a team 3 times, so if the Bears lose, that might be a better scenario.

Ill take the Eagles all day. I don't want to face a division opponent two weeks in a row and the Vikings are more dangerous offensively and defensively.

Bears can still get home field and bye.

That's why.

I don't know that they care who the opponent is.  They are all about equally dangerous. 

Actually think Dallas on a neutral field is worse than Vikings, Seattle and Philly right now.

13 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Ah okay sorry I’m uneducated 

Archived