If you didn't want Butler fired before.... You will now.

steelcurtain29

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/12/keith-butler-says-tyler-eifert-will-be-a-problem-for-us-to-cover-eifert-is-on-injured-reserve/

Butler states Eifert will be hard to cover on Sunday, but there's one problem with that. Eifert hasn't played in 3 months and won't be playing Sunday.

“I think he’s very good,” Butler said on Eifert. “He’s up there. He can get deep on you. He does a good job of catching the ball downfield. So he’s going to be a problem for us to cover.”

*sigh* 

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

what DC out there do you guys like to see the steelers bring in? Kris Richard in Dallas? rex? believe a good amount of head coaches getting fired have backgrounds in defense..tod bowles, Vance Joseph, wilks etc..

Vance Joseph already has something lined up with Cincy by all reports.  Wilks isn't a terrible choice.  Bowles is another DC that gets pressure via the blitz.  I'm not sure who I would want.

I was a Butler supporter after last year. People called for his head after the playoff loss to Jax. I still supported him and blamed Haley(he rightfully deserved it). But I can no longer support him. I think he is the odd man out this offseason. Hopefully he takes Danny Smith and Joey Porter with him. We need new blood.

5 hours ago, August4th said:

what DC out there do you guys like to see the steelers bring in? Kris Richard in Dallas? rex? believe a good amount of head coaches getting fired have backgrounds in defense..tod bowles, Vance Joseph, wilks etc..

If Cleveland doesn’t keep Gregg Williams around he might not be a bad choice. Something tells me he’s gonna wind up with a HC job though.

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

Tomlin didn't tell him, so really this isn't Butlers fault....it's Tomlin.

Let's review, once again:

1. Butler in year 2 as a coordinator has much of his responsibilities taken over by his head coach.

2. Defense falls apart down the stretch anyway

3. Butler is retained

4. Defense once again starts the season terribly.

5. According to you, Tomlin once again took on a more active role on the defensive side of the ball usurping power from Butler.

You seem like the sort of guy who likes to have authority in your real life, but then balks at the expectations and responsibilities that come with it. This isn't even criticizing Tomlin's judgement for hiring the wrong guy. We're in a situation where Tomlin made a further decision to retain someone after they failed last season, and then the exact same scenario played out again. That is, whether you like it or not, a reflection on him. All that can be said without absolving Butler of anything.

EDIT: And for the record, it's funny that people who give Tomlin a pass for every idiotic thing he says are jumping on Butler for what is almost certainly a gaffe/Butler being polite to an interviewer who works for the team and asked about Eiffert. And if isn't a gaffe, it once again does not speak highly of the staff as a whole or the guy in charge of it.

58 minutes ago, warfelg said:

This is fun that it’s a 100% sarcastic post, you quote it, and go on to do exactly what I was sarcastic about. 

Your post was a sarcastic defense of Tomlin. I think this Butler moment is a non-story and that he's perfectly aware Eifert isn't playing. But I'll continue to call out the hypocrisy of attacking Butler as some sort of exoneration of Tomlin.

Archived