Disc golf thread

Warhorse

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

@Warhorse @Shanedorf

Have you guys been playing? If so, are you playing leagues, tournaments, or just by yourself, and what extra precautions have you been taking?

I've been trying to play on the weekends, but weather has killed that a few times recently. I usually play by myself, and avoid others, but will throw with a friend that I know has been quarantining this whole time. Leagues have started back up here, but I don't trust most of the people that are out there, so I've just avoided it all. Starting to go crazy now that it's been over a year since my last tournament, and I played terrible.

4 hours ago, MrDrew said:

@Warhorse @Shanedorf

Have you guys been playing? If so, are you playing leagues, tournaments, or just by yourself, and what extra precautions have you been taking?

I've been trying to play on the weekends, but weather has killed that a few times recently. I usually play by myself, and avoid others, but will throw with a friend that I know has been quarantining this whole time. Leagues have started back up here, but I don't trust most of the people that are out there, so I've just avoided it all. Starting to go crazy now that it's been over a year since my last tournament, and I played terrible.

I play 3-4 times a week. Played the pro course Blue Lake in Fairview Oregon this morning. It was built for the World Nationals 6 years ago. It is a tough 69. My best on the course is 10 over. This link shows it 6 years ago. Harder now...

https://www.oregonmetro.gov/news/blue-lake-disc-golf-course-has-its-moment-world-stage

I play a travelling league on Sundays. 

Edited by Warhorse

2 hours ago, Warhorse said:

I play a travelling league on Sundays. 

Wish I could get away with something like that, but my wife is immunocompromised, so away from people I will stay.

I have a goal to get to OR to play Milo, Pier Park, and Blue Lake. Makes me jealous that there's so many great courses so close to each other. All of the courses around here are pretty average, until you get into the mountain courses. Those are pretty great, but all far, and rough terrain.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I haven't been on a course in 4 months; same story for me - medical concerns with my charming bride so I've been a hermit

It took a long time for me to go back. I would hit the park by my house, and just do some field work. Now I go to the course early, and pick the one opposite of the course that has a league going that day. Get there by 9, and there's nobody there if there isn't a league

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 2:10 PM, MrDrew said:

I have a goal to get to OR to play Milo, Pier Park, and Blue Lake. Makes me jealous that there's so many great courses so close to each other. All of the courses around here are pretty average, until you get into the mountain courses. Those are pretty great, but all far, and rough terrain.

All great courses. If you get the chance, include Timber in Estacada, and Dabney in Troutdale. Dabney is a park installed on a old farm, and you are literally playing in in old orchard. Timber is just a sweet layout. I do have to warn you though, it is next to the reclamation facility for Estacada.....if the wind is going the wrong direction.....

If you head east on I-84, consider North Bonneville. It is on the Washington side of the river, ($2 toll to cross the Columbia). Really unique layout. Try to pick a day when it's not too windy, the Gorge can whip up some serious winds. 

1 hour ago, MrDrew said:

@Shanedorf @Warhorse

If you guys didn’t know, and you’re interested, CBS Sports is about to air the Dynamic Discs Open. It will be a round per night until Friday, and a skins match on Saturday. All the info will be in the link

http://blog.dynamicdiscs.com/2020/08/dynamic-discs-open-coverage-set-to-air.html?m=1

Thanks for the heads up!

• 8 months later...
15 hours ago, MrDrew said:

@Shanedorf @Warhorse Either if you happen to be out at the DDO?

I wish. Just played a round at TImber Park in Estacada Oregon this morning. 

Playing a new disc that I like a lot. It's a Crave, by Axiom. Stable....but you can turn it over a bit with a high outer edge release. Release it flat and it gives a nice slow, smooth hyzer. 

21 hours ago, MrDrew said:

@Shanedorf @Warhorse Either if you happen to be out at the DDO?

nope - and worse than that - I haven't been on a course since March. I did have disc golf dreams the other night...so I guess its time to dust off the bag.
Morley Field is still on the reservation system for tee times (covid), but plenty of openings available

On 4/28/2021 at 6:29 PM, Shanedorf said:

nope - and worse than that - I haven't been on a course since March. I did have disc golf dreams the other night...so I guess its time to dust off the bag.
Morley Field is still on the reservation system for tee times (covid), but plenty of openings available

I was having a struggle to get out to the course, or even a field because of the crazy weather here. Then I went and played a big A-Tier, and it showed that I hadn't been throwing enough. I'm fully vaccinated, so it's just the weather from here. It's snowing today, so I won't be able to get out for a few more days again. Got anything besides Morley close enough to get out there?

On 4/28/2021 at 12:07 PM, Warhorse said:

I wish. Just played a round at TImber Park in Estacada Oregon this morning. 

How is that course doing? I know they had to cancel the Beaver State Fling because Riverbend was in such bad shape after the fires/rain.

I know a lot of people really like the Crave. Haven't thrown one myself yet. My bag is in complete chaos right now. I changed it around to deal with elevation differences, and now I'm changing stuff around after playing so bad at DDO. Westside Sword, and DD Bounty are two that weren't in my bag before leaving that I'm going to put some real effort behind in the mixup.

Favorite disc - Innova Tern 160g. Slight understable. Fast. Sometimes I miss right hard. Aerobie Epic, just because it's fun.

Champion DX XT (plastic type)or? - No preference.

Overstable or understable - Understable.

Backhand of forehand - Backhand at range, Tomahawk/Thumber approach. I've never learned to throw a decent forehand.

Number of aces - 0. Many a changoot.

Longest drive - Unknown. The moon!

Par 3's or long courses - Isn't everything a par 3?

I'm a hard thrower with a violent motion. I get good distance on my drives. I do not putt well, especially at distance. I tend to layup a lot overhand. I wish I could drive an Epic properly, but I currently use it to dagger approaches.

I like Pier. Trees! Dabney's better but further out for me. I used to live off of Lunchtime and have a bit of a soft spot, though I haven't been in forever. Been to Masters a few times.