Disc golf thread

Warhorse

59 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I tend to layup a lot overhand.

That’s something I have not seen, unless completely necessary, and I’ve been playing since the late 90’s. What distances do you go overhand? I’ll only go overhand if I’m stuck behind something I have to go over, or off the tee. I only get one per day before my arm falls off too

2 hours ago, MrDrew said:

That’s something I have not seen, unless completely necessary, and I’ve been playing since the late 90’s. What distances do you go overhand? I’ll only go overhand if I’m stuck behind something I have to go over, or off the tee. I only get one per day before my arm falls off too

Probably about 40'-100' range.

Have you ever seen someone drive an Epic? If you can get it to turn over right (I can't) you can get it over 500 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB_-1CYgAns&t=1s

34 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Probably about 40'-100' range.

Have you ever seen someone drive an Epic? If you can get it to turn over right (I can't) you can get it over 500 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB_-1CYgAns&t=1s

That's crazy. I would never think to throw overhand at that range. I'm putting out to about 50', jump putting from there to around 100', and I'm throwing a putter out to about 250'. I think I can get a thumber out to around 250', but I really only use it to get over things. I'll throw forehand rollers before going overhand. It's pretty cool to hear them used for shorter stuff.

Epic is the craziest looking flight. I've seen some people crush them. They're probably the easiest way to get overhand distance, but the record is held by the Latitude 64 XXX. Get a light, and flat one, and they can get you Epic distance.

14 hours ago, MrDrew said:

That's crazy. I would never think to throw overhand at that range. I'm putting out to about 50', jump putting from there to around 100', and I'm throwing a putter out to about 250'. I think I can get a thumber out to around 250', but I really only use it to get over things. I'll throw forehand rollers before going overhand. It's pretty cool to hear them used for shorter stuff.

Epic is the craziest looking flight. I've seen some people crush them. They're probably the easiest way to get overhand distance, but the record is held by the Latitude 64 XXX. Get a light, and flat one, and they can get you Epic distance.

Yeah I'm terrible at putting. It's legitimately disgraceful.

17 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Yeah I'm terrible at putting. It's legitimately disgraceful.

If you're looking to improve, search for putting clinics from Jay "YetI" Reading, Dave Feldberg, and look at the Physics of Flight series on Dynamic Discs channel. I used to not be able to hit anything over 10ft, and then I went to a Dave Feldberg clinic. He's all about the bio-mechanics of the sport, and he's a really good teacher.

Yeti is a 6x world putting champion, and he's also a great teacher.  He runs an NPO that focuses on getting disc golf into schools, so it's harder to find videos where he isn't teaching kids. The info is still great though.

The Physics of Flight stuff is great for any part of your game, but it is a little focused towards beginners. They get really into the basics, but then have really good instructional stuff with it.

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Thank you for sharing that, Thats a hell of a story as someone who struggles with mental health.

Everybody has some struggles with mental health, so I love to see positive things like this. Finding something as simple as that message could be just enough to make a difference.

13 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

I really need to get back onto the course, Havent played in years.

Now is a great time, if you still have your discs. It was a great social distancing activity, and a lot of new people started playing. There's more manufacturers than ever, and none of them can keep up with production demands. The good thing is that there's also more courses, more shops, more professional coverage, and more learning tools. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Now is a great time, if you still have your discs. It was a great social distancing activity, and a lot of new people started playing. There's more manufacturers than ever, and none of them can keep up with production demands. The good thing is that there's also more courses, more shops, more professional coverage, and more learning tools. 

I dont have any discs left havent played in probably 5 years or so so i would need to get some new ones, All the different kinds of drivers make me nervous because I think some of them bend in certain ways based on how you throw and what not. Great excuse to get out in nature and find a little peace.

• 4 weeks later...

If you didn't watch Worlds yet, go do it. Jomez has the post produced MPO lead card, Central Coast has FPO lead. Make sure to watch the last 2-3 holes for both on the live feed, which is on the Disc Golf Network Channel. Some of the most exciting/intense moments I've seen in any sport. Even if you've already seen the highlights of what happened, seeing the buildup and the moment is incredible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 1:13 AM, MrDrew said:

If you didn't watch Worlds yet, go do it. Jomez has the post produced MPO lead card, Central Coast has FPO lead. Make sure to watch the last 2-3 holes for both on the live feed, which is on the Disc Golf Network Channel. Some of the most exciting/intense moments I've seen in any sport. Even if you've already seen the highlights of what happened, seeing the buildup and the moment is incredible.

I saw something on reddit about a 200 foot shot that forced a playoff. Was an insane shot. I want to get back into DG but there aren't any here in Beijing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing alot recently, i have a consient forehand but still a pretty crappy backhand as of right now.

My bag consists of 2x Destroyer, Scorch, Xcaliber, Starfire, Thunderbird, Firebird, Teebird, Teebird3, F5, CD2, Mako3 Zone, Roc3, Buzz ,Firefly, and Dart.

14 hours ago, djw4bucs said:

Been playing alot recently, i have a consient forehand but still a pretty crappy backhand as of right now.

My bag consists of 2x Destroyer, Scorch, Xcaliber, Starfire, Thunderbird, Firebird, Teebird, Teebird3, F5, CD2, Mako3 Zone, Roc3, Buzz ,Firefly, and Dart.

Where are you having issues with the backhand? It's pretty common to have a better forehand when you start because most people grew up throwing a ball. Backhand is more of a natural motion for the body, but it's a lot harder to learn.

That's definitely a forehand bag. The Mako, Buzzz, Firefly, and Dart are all great to learn a backhand with. Get those going straight, and you'll be fine.