Eric Berry's Future

KC_Guy

With the regular season coming to an end and mock drafts coming up pretty soon I think it's about time to talk about Eric Berry' future.
I recognize he is considered a key piece of the Chiefs' defence, however, he can't contribute much when he's sitting on the bench for health issues.

First up some facts:

His contract: The Chiefs signed Eric Berry to a six year, $78 million contract on February 28, 2017. Berry received $40 million in guarantees including a $20 million signing bonus and the base salary of the first two years of his contract. The cap numbers over the next three years are 16.5M$, 13.5 M$ and 16 M$. If released after the season the Chiefs would clear 1.5 M$ in cap and 10 M$ in cash in 2019. More details here. The guarantees mentioned above do not fit the guarantees found in the table, so there is some discrepancy. Furthermore it's not clear whether there is more money guaranteed for injury. However, he's making a lot of money.

His injury history:

2011: Torn ACL week one. Did not return for the season.
2014: Hodgkin's lymphoma. Did not return for the season.
2017: Torn Achilles week one. Did not return for the season.
2018: Unidentified heel issues. Returns week 15. There's speculation he suffers from Haglund's deformity. Issues came up again prior to week 17.

The thing which concerns me most is the 2018 issue. From September he's be declared "day-to-day", "virtually day-to-day", or something similar. However, he did not even practice until week 12 or so.
This tells me the medical staff took a conservative approach, being sure they could handle the issue without surgery. However, obviously they couldn't. The re-emergence of the concern prior to week 17 tells me it's not over yet and could become a lasting problem, limiting Berry's availability for years to come if not solved surgically. Surgery however would take him out at minimum until the begiinning of the next season, if not longer, if the Achilles is affected.

His ageBerry turned 30 today. Happy birthday, Eric!

The Chiefs will have to make a decision here. They should know best about Berry's projected availability moving forward. However, from what I've read, I think, unless the issue with his heel is not properly fixed, there's a high risk of chronic bursitis or Achilles issues.I have a hard time to believe the Chiefs will accept the risk of another 12 M$ paycheck without any returns in 2019.

Thus I believe we will see negotiations on a contract adjustments, placing emphasis on Berry's avaiilability on game day. I'm not sure though Berry will accept such an adjustment, which could lead to his demise from Kansas City prior to any new guarantees kcking in (if there are any in the current contract).

It was a mistake to resign him and I love Eric Berry.  It is his time to go unless the contract is very very team friendly.  If your not available your hurting the team and there is no ifs and or buts about it.  I would maybe ask him to get into coaching and offer him a different job when he is ready.

I definitely think his contact needs to be restructured but that will, like you pointed out, rely on Berry's willingness to restructure. Considering how lenient the front office has been with his availability, I'd be surprised if he's unwilling to renegotiate. If he won't, though, it's time to part ways.

Regardless of whether he stays or goes, his age is a factor as well and I've fallen in love with Deionte Thompson out of Alabama. Even if we have to move up to get him, it'd go a looking way to fixing our porous defense.

On 30.12.2018 at 1:16 AM, valkrei said:

It was a mistake to resign him and I love Eric Berry.  It is his time to go unless the contract is very very team friendly.  If your not available your hurting the team and there is no ifs and or buts about it.  I would maybe ask him to get into coaching and offer him a different job when he is ready.

I don't think it was a mistake at that time. He was ploaying lights out the season before.

Then he ruptured his tendon the first regular season game after signing the contract - and never came back. I'm still looking for info whether his current issues are on the same foot the Achilles happened - haven't found anything so far.

That said - I doubt he'll return to anything similar to the player we knew - be it in terms of availability or performance.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Apparently he got 3 different opinions on it. He just better be ready to go day one of OTAs.

Chiefs will have to make a decision prior to day 3 of the new League year ... it's his health status THEN that matters ... for now

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

Chiefs will have to make a decision prior to day 3 of the new League year ... it's his health status THEN that matters ... for now

He played in the AFCCG so I assume he would've played in the Super Bowl.

When he played, he play well. I want to give him this year as a prove it year. But if his health is an issue again we should look at cutting ties next year. I hope that isn't the case though.

Archived