Big Show Coaches

Brit Pack

All depends on how you view his motivations.

I disagree the absolute dream job for him is NE. I suspect he loves that there is no owner here, only football guys.

Good chance he might be motivated to leave his stamp somewhere else too. The lure of being a HC is strong so he almost left for a comparitvely bad situation in Indy.

GB is a much better fit. Doubt BB or Kraft would be able to keep him away from GB.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The more I think about it, the more I actually like Josh McDaniels here.

*He's the best pure candidate available

*He's been holding out for a dream position, GB is that. 

*His failures before were personnel related. He will only be a coach here.

*He will have his pick of assistants. He will (probably by far) be able to assemble the best staff of anyone.

I remember several months ago - well before Mac was released - throwing McDaniels out there as someone GB might be interested in looking at.  I was practically laughed out of this forum by @CWood21 for even mentioning him as a candidate.  It’d be ironic if he were hired, but even if he wasn’t, I get a scosh of satisfaction that he’s a top candidate, considering all of the sh!t I received for even mentioning the guy’s name several months ago.

^

It’s not just around here. I have heard some blistering criticism of McDaniels from national media for his renegging on his deal with Indy and its impact in people that had begun preparing to be part of his staff there.

Nonetheless, his track record as coordinator is intriguing. Until you get him on the other side of the table you probably won’t know if he’s a good match for the team or not. 

But I do remember a time not many weeks ago when people got spanked with the ridicule sticks for mentioning him as a possibility. He had supporters as well though—the accomplishments as coordinator are right there to see. His hire would bring about a shipstorm of controversy and he will be questioned relentlessly about the Indy situation. See... I can’t write a few sentences about the guy without arguing with myself. 

McDaniels mishandled the Indy proposition entirely.

If the guy wanted to squeeze more coin (or power) out of NE - sure, shop your wares - but dont be enterering into any verbal agreements and securing guarantees from potential assistant coaches (some of whom I'd wager were drawing checks from somebody else at the time) - then ditch it all.

If he truly considered the Indy job - but got cold feet over Luck's uncertainty (or whatever) - then he showed an impetuous nature thats concerning - again, because he involved others - more than himself - who he hung out to dry.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

McDaniels mishandled the Indy proposition entirely.

If the guy wanted to squeeze more coin (or power) out of NE - sure, shop your wares - but dont be enterering into any verbal agreements and securing guarantees from potential assistant coaches (some of whom I'd wager were drawing checks from somebody else at the time) - then ditch it all.

If he truly considered the Indy job - but got cold feet over Luck's uncertainty (or whatever) - then he showed an impetuous nature thats concerning - again, because he involved others - more than himself - who he hung out to dry.

And I think that this is the starting point for informed fans and ship-stirring media. If he interviews with us and wows Murph and Gute with his coherent, confident and clear vision for the team how much will this weigh against him?

Could you get past it, Leader, if Gute makes the case that this guy knows how to run an NFL team?

5 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

And I think that this is the starting point for informed fans and ship-stirring media. If he interviews with us and wows Murph and Gute with his coherent, confident and clear vision for the team how much will this weigh against him?

Could you get past it, Leader, if Gute makes the case that this guy knows how to run an NFL team?

LOL  Ease off with the drama. All my post dealt with was his past handling of the Indy job and I dont need to "get over anything" as its an opinion of past actions.

If he interviews with GB and gets the job - fine. Wont change my opinion one bit about his past actions.

Hope I've clarified it well enough so that you can get over whatever is troubling you so.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

LOL  Ease off with the drama. All my post dealt with was his past handling of the Indy job and I dont need to "get over anything" as its an opinion of past actions.

If he interviews with GB and gets the job - fine. Wont change my opinion one bit about his past actions.

Hope I've clarified it well enough so that you can get over whatever is troubling you so.

LOL Try reading the post without screaming in your head. I was being conversational and respectful. 

As fans of Green Bay I think we would have concerns about the Indy situation. I am asking if WE could look past it if we are told he’s the right coach and he’s been hired. 

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

"Could you get past it?"

First - I'm not "on anything" but that was conversational and respectful?

Fine. I returned the favor.

Not to belabor the point but I think of you as an informed fan—not media with a responsibility to get clicks. I really was seeking to find out if you, as someone who is rightfully troubled by the Indy situation, could look past it if he were hired here. 

Just now, blueswedeshoes said:

Not to belabor the point but I think of you as an informed fan—not media with a responsibility to get clicks. I really was seeking to find out if you, as someone who is rightfully troubled by the Indy situation, could look past it if he were hired here. 

You were seeking too hard apparently as you completely overlooked this comment: If he interviews with GB and gets the job - fine.

That should settle the matter.

Several risks/problems with McDaniels:

He may want too much control over the players/roster - a non-starter in GB.

He will get the NE Pats HC job when Bellicek leaves (which may be when Brady retires in + - 3 years).  Then GB's back to the drawing board.

Assuming GB talks with McDaniels during the bye-week, they would have to wait until the Pats season ends.  With Black Monday starting tomorrow, many teams will go full tilt into HC hiring mode and GB would lose many good candidates waiting on the off-chance McDaniels would be interested and commit to GB.

Archived