Packerraymond's 1st 2019 Mock Offseason

Packerraymond

Coaching staff:
HC: Pat Fitzgerald: Fitzgerald gets lured away from Northwestern and is brought in as a program builder. The culture in the locker room became too lax under Mac in the final years and it is time to get that back on track. Murphy struck gold once with Fitzgerald, can he do it again?
OC: Jim Caldwell: Fitzgerald is told of Caldwell's HC interview and Murphy sells him on the idea of bringing in an experienced mind who has handled star QBs to be his play caller. 
DC: Mike Pettine: Fitzgerald appreciates the attitude and love of coaching defense Pettine brought to GB as well as another guy on his staff with HC experience.
Position Coaches: Fitzgerald interviews the whole staff for retention. Retained are James Campen, Joe Whitt and Ben Sirmans, the rest are fired and Fitzgerald brings in his guys.

Re-signed players:
Bashaud Breeland (2/12)
Ibraheim Campbell (1/1)
All important ERFA/RFAs

Cut/Not Brought Back:
Clay Matthews
Randall Cobb
Jake Ryan
Nick Perry (June 1)
Lance Kendricks
Muhammad Wilkerson
Marcedes Lewis
Byron Bell
Mason Crosby

FA Class: (45m to spend)
Trey Flowers EDGE NE Patriots (4/56; 9m year 1 hit) : When I look at what Pettine wants in an EDGE I think he'd drool over the possibility of Flowers. Guy sets the edge, he gets pressure, he makes plays. He is productive in both run and pass downs and has the size to do what Pettine requires to stay on the field at all times. Flowers would be a star in Pettine's system and they pay him to be just that.

Shaquil Barrett EDGE Denver (4/30; 6m year 1 hit) : Shaq I think is a candidate to be a free agent steal, as you aren't going to be paying him for the massive numbers he put up in Denver, but you're getting a guy who's flashed every time they took Miller, Ware or Chubb off the field. He moves into a starting role here in GB.

John Brown WR Baltimore (2/8; 4m year 1 hit) Brown comes in to replace Cobb, he gives us way more speed and the ability to hit the home run. At this point I imagine he's sick to death of not having a good QB, so he comes to pair with Aaron and get back to the player he was under Carson Palmer.

Tre Boston S Arizona (3/15 ; 4m year 1 hit): The Packers dabble in the big name S market but instead decide to spend on pass rushers, Boston wants out after what I imagine to be a brutal year suffering in Arizona and comes in to play SS in Pettine's scheme.

Jeff Allen OL Kansas City (1/2): Fills the Byron Bell depth role from this year. Allen has started everywhere other than center in the NFL.

Giorgio Tavecchio K (2/2): Tavecchio comes back to where it all started to beat out Crosby and save the Packers some cap space.

THE DRAFT:
Round 1: Rashan Gary 6'5 280 DL
School: Michigan

Gary is another one I think Pettine will be all over as a guy who could potentially even stand up in base and kick inside on pressure downs. The guy oozes talent and is a rare find as a big. There is explosion, bend and power in his game. Attitude and effort will probably be the red flag on every scouts report on him. Why didn't he blow up in his junior year like a player of his caliber should? The Packers pull the trigger anyway as he's got more raw talent than Bosa, Oliver or Williams when you look at his size. He'll pencil in as the 3rd DL and the eventual replacement to Mike Daniels if he hits.

Round 1: Dalton Risner 6'5 308 OL
School: Kansas State

The heir apparent to Bulaga's spot, Risner plugs and plays immediately as the starting RG in 2019 and will kick to RT in 2020. Risner is a tech sound, experienced plug and play guy. As Rodgers ages it becomes time to spend a bit more on the OL. 

Round 2 Charles Omenihu 6'5 270 EDGE
School: Texas

Omenihu is my candidate for a Davenport like rise in the 2019 draft, he could easily be a top 20 guy come April, but for now while he's a relative unknown, I'll take him here. Long, powerful, explosive with adequate bend, Omenihu improved every single year at Texas. He's got a very high ceiling in the NFL if he can show he can bend, all the other tools are there.

Round 3: Mike Edwards 6' 205 S
School: Kentucky

While the complete and total makeover in the EDGE room was a gift Gute inherited, the makeover in the safety room is one of his choosing. He didn't offer a reasonable deal to Morgan Burnett, traded HHCD and cut Jermaine Whitehead. In this mock Josh Jackson moves to S, we sign Tre Boston and draft Edwards. Edwards has a ton of experience and production and is NFL ready. He'll get a chance to make his impact early.

Round 4: Caleb Wilson 6'5 245 TE
School UCLA

This could be a really good TE class if Hock, Irv Smith and the Mizzou kid all come out. Hard to predict who will fall to day 3 but I'll go with Wilson here as his blocking is far off right now. This is one of those move TEs that succeed under Rodgers however. Graham has 1 year left and then that room will need a makeover. The 2019 draft has a chance to be a start of that.

Round 4 Tommy Sweeney 6'5 255 TE
School: BC

The Packers double up on TEs in a good class. Sweeney is a jack of all trades master of none type. He's smart, savvy and tough, good hands and a technician. The kind of guy if he tests unexpectedly could be a stud like Kittle. Wilson, Sweeney and Tonyan will develop behind Graham in 2019.

Round 5: Mitch Hyatt 6'5 305 OL
School: Clemson

More depth for the OL, a 4 year starter with good feet, but needs a lot of weight room work, might not have the balance to be an OT or the strength to be an OG. In the 5th a guy with his experience is worth a look.

Round 6: Stanley Morgan Jr 6' 200 WR
School: Nebraska

Morgan is a productive, 4 year receiver with some good traits, nothing jumps out but he's certainly a guy who could ride with a big Combine.

Round 6: Montre Hartage 6'0 195 CB
School: Northwestern

The move to become Northwestern North continues.

Round 7: Darwin Thompson 5'8 200 RB
Utah State

Adding another back to tote the rock in camp with Bibbs and Coleman to keep Jones and Williams fresh.

2019 Depth Chart:

QB: Rodgers/Kizer

RB: Jones/Williams/Bibbs

WR: Adams/Allison/J. Brown/MVS/St.Brown/Moore

TE: Graham/Tonyan/Wilson/Sweeney

OL: Bahk/Taylor/Linsley/Risner/Bulaga/Spriggs/Hyatt/Patrick/Allen

DL: Clark/Daniels/Gary/Lancaster/Adams

ILB: Martinez/Jones/Burks/Morrison

EDGE: Flowers/Barrett/Omenihu/Sackrell/Gilbert

CB: King/Breeland/Alexander/Brown/Williams/Hartage

S: Boston/Jackson/Edwards/Campbell/Brice (Jones and Williams capable of playing here too)

K: Tavecchio

P: Scott

LS: Bradley

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Love it, but Trey Flowers is gonna get way more than that... 56m is probably less than the gtd 

Will all depend on if Clowney, Lawrence, Ansah, Clark, Golden, Barr and Ford hit the market. Either way I spent about 27m of 45 in FA so there's plenty of room to get in a bidding war there if he goes into the 15-17m per range. Pass rush market could be flush this year depending on who sees a tag.

22 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

I like the general direction here, dunno that much about prospects right now, but I approve of the aggressive attacking of needs through FA and draft. Only real issue for me is drafting a RT that high, but it's kind of a nitpick in the big scheme of things.

RT is becoming as important as LT. I love it

Most realistic and best effort I have seen on here. 

Like some already said not sold on Fitz. As I have stated in another thread I don't like the idea of college coaches, not many have had success in the NFL. My preference is a coach that has Super Bowl pedigree and/or Green Bay links. 

Keep looking at the big boards.  Man a lot of talent at DE/DT.   Would Gute go for a D-line rebuild?  Take 2 bigs in the first round.  No one has suggested it but if there was ever a time this is the draft to do it.  Some good DT's are going to fall.  What do we have there?  Clark and Daniels.  Daniels will be a FA after next season.  Perfect opportunity to solidify this spot for the long term.  Go OL in the 2nd.  Have to see how the draft falls hopefully Gute will go BPA and not reach for need.  If DT's fall I say snag them.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Re-signed players:
Bashaud Breeland (2/12)
Ibraheim Campbell (1/1)
All important ERFA/RFAs

Cut/Not Brought Back:
Clay Matthews
Randall Cobb
Jake Ryan
Nick Perry (June 1)
Lance Kendricks
Muhammad Wilkerson
Marcedes Lewis
Byron Bell
Mason Crosby

Crosby at a reduced salary and Wilkerson for not too much returning in 2019 would be OK, otherwise this is spot on.

Archived