Dynasty and Keepers Offseason Talk

EaglesPeteC

Just made this trade in a PPR Dynasty. I was in the championship game last year without a true #1 RB. What do you think?

I trade: Derrick Henry, Kareem Hunt, Brandin Cooks and 2020 Rookie 1st Round pick, 2020 Rookie 2nd Round pick

I get: Christian McCaffrey, Larry Fitzgerald, Benny Snell and a 2020 4th Round pick 

I overpaid. But McCaffrey in PPR in my #1 fantasy player by a hair over Saquon. I think the deal puts me a serious title contender if things go right.

My team

QB- Winston/Big Ben

RB- McCaffrey/Marlon Mack/L. Murray/ M. Sanders/Guice/Justice Hill/Justin Jackson/ B.Snell

WR- Hopkins/Lockett/Alshon/Larry Fitz/Sammy Watkins/James Washington

TE- OJ Howard/Doyle/Goedart

K- Jake Elliott

It is an IDP with a bunch of defenders you won't care about. 

On 8/16/2019 at 11:43 AM, VIKINGS101011 said:

Dynasty rookie draft, your picking 8th, and the top 7 goes 

1. Jacobs
2. Montgomery
3. Harry
4. Sanders
5. DK
6. Campbell
7. Deebo
8. ?

Who are you picking at 8? Standard scoring league

If it is 1QB (not superflex or 2QB) then I think you look at the mix of RB like Henderson, Singletary, Hill, Mattison.  AJ Brown is still a good option as well.  

Ii feel that is about the tipping point of where things start to get interesting.....based on league scoring set up, team needs, ect.  

If you have a TE premium league with added PPR for TE over RB and WR, then Hockenson and Fant would be in the mix as well.

Question on your thoughts regarding keepers.  In my league you lose the round the player was drafted the first year you keep them, then it bumps two rounds the second year.  Players can only be kept two years and you can't keep two players at the same position.  Who would you select out of these in a 16 team league?

Sony Michel (6th round pick, could keep next year for a 4th)

Marlon Mack (14th round pick, could keep next year for a 12th)

Julian Edelman (9th round pick, can't keep next year)

Curtis Samuel (14th round pick, could keep for a 12th next year)

14 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Question on your thoughts regarding keepers.  In my league you lose the round the player was drafted the first year you keep them, then it bumps two rounds the second year.  Players can only be kept two years and you can't keep two players at the same position.  Who would you select out of these in a 16 team league?

How many keepers?  

Mack for sure.   Michel vs Samuel would depend on starters needed and other settings if you can keep 2.   GIven it is a 16 team league, my guess is having 2 solid RB would be the desire

24 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Without knowing settings I’d eliminate Samuel. Edelman is a 3rd round pick so thats great value but short sighted. Michel is also great value this year and next and is a RB

Id probably go Michel and Mack 

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Without knowing settings I’d eliminate Samuel. Edelman is a 3rd round pick so thats great value but short sighted. Michel is also great value this year and next and is a RB

Id probably go Michel and Mack 

I can't keep two RB's, so would have to pick the top RB and WR.  I have had Mack and Edelman in my mind for a while but Samuel is intriguing and having a second year to keep him is nice but also risky in case he isn't much.  Edelman's age, new targets in town, and Samuel's upside has me questioning it.

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I can't keep two RB's, so would have to pick the top RB and WR.  I have had Mack and Edelman in my mind for a while but Samuel is intriguing and having a second year to keep him is nice but also risky in case he isn't much.  Edelman's age, new targets in town, and Samuel's upside has me questioning it.

I'd probably go Edelman still even though it's short sighted it'll give you two good keepers for this year.  I feel like guys like Samuel pop up every year and can be had late in drafts.  Samuel is probably 3rd or 4th on the target list depending on what Olsen does this year in a meh offense.  I'm not high on Samuel at all at least this year.

Seeing as it's a 16 team league though I get why you are considering Samuel.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:54 PM, EaglesPeteC said:

Just made this trade in a PPR Dynasty. I was in the championship game last year without a true #1 RB. What do you think?

I trade: Derrick Henry, Kareem Hunt, Brandin Cooks and 2020 Rookie 1st Round pick, 2020 Rookie 2nd Round pick

I get: Christian McCaffrey, Larry Fitzgerald, Benny Snell and a 2020 4th Round pick 

I overpaid. But McCaffrey in PPR in my #1 fantasy player by a hair over Saquon. I think the deal puts me a serious title contender if things go right.

My team

QB- Winston/Big Ben

RB- McCaffrey/Marlon Mack/L. Murray/ M. Sanders/Guice/Justice Hill/Justin Jackson/ B.Snell

WR- Hopkins/Lockett/Alshon/Larry Fitz/Sammy Watkins/James Washington

TE- OJ Howard/Doyle/Goedart

K- Jake Elliott

It is an IDP with a bunch of defenders you won't care about. 

I think that is a championship roster. Like you mentioned, you overpaid but getting McCaffrey could be a complete game changer and I am expecting a big year from Jeffrey if Wentz plays even 10 games.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:27 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

You format favors you being able to snag would-be POS1's a year before they actually are that (or in their breakout year).  For that reason, I'd likely discount Samuel down some because while I do love him in PPR formats he's not going to be a guy that consistently wins you weeks by himself (which is what you should be targeting with sleepers).  I'd lean Mack (he's like the only Colts offensive player I don't think loses a significant amount of value with Luck's retirement because that OL is solid and he's got some Fred Jackson to him, IMO) and Edelman (particularly if your format is any PPR format, he just gives you better upside than Samuel does and you'll go into the 10's+ round of your draft knowing you're after a long-term WR with strong keeper potential that you could justify taking slightly ahead of ADP because you have aims of keeping him if he blows up.  You want to be fluid in your drafting, but having some base strategy in place (as long as you have pivot-plans too) is always best.

You could be looking at someone the like of a Calvin Ridley, Michael Gallup, D.K. Metcalf (if you buy the hype), maybe/hopefully Christian Kirk (if his stock hasn't shot up so much or he isn't being kept) in that range.  Or wait until the 14th-ish round and take a flier on Hollywood Brown (who is largely going undrafted).  Or do both.  Edelman gives you the security of a weekly starter such that you can play the prospectus game on guys who may not give you a ton until late season.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So my league does 4 keepers my current crop:

NO BRAINER:

Devin Singletary - 10th Round Pick

OTHERS CONSIDERING:

DJ Chalk - 15+

Deebo Samuel 15+

Michael Gallup 8th

Darius Slayton 15+

Raheem Mostert 15+

Damien Williams 12th

Allen Robinson 4th

Kerryon Johnson 2nd

My current feelings are leaning towards Singletary, Deebo, Chalk and Gallup (if Amari leaves via FA). Slayton over Gallup is another idea. AJ Brown is the one that got away. I held onto him all year, then dropped him two weeks before he busted out. 

Edited by animaltested

2 hours ago, animaltested said:

So my league does 4 keepers my current crop:

NO BRAINER:

Devin Singletary - 10th Round Pick

OTHERS CONSIDERING:

DJ Chalk - 15+

Deebo Samuel 15+

Michael Gallup 8th

Darius Slayton 15+

Raheem Mostert 15+

Damien Williams 12th

Allen Robinson 4th

Kerryon Johnson 2nd

My current feelings are leaning towards Singletary, Deebo, Chalk and Gallup (if Amari leaves via FA). Slayton over Gallup is another idea. AJ Brown is the one that got away. I held onto him all year, then dropped him two weeks before he busted out. 

When do you need to make a decision by? Might be worth waiting it out to see what happens. If you have to pick at the end of the season then I'd go Singletary Chalk Samuel and Slayton. 

14 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

When do you need to make a decision by? Might be worth waiting it out to see what happens. If you have to pick at the end of the season then I'd go Singletary Chalk Samuel and Slayton. 

Keepers are submitted during the Pre-season, I have 8 or so months to sit on it.