Edge
Safety
OL
TE
DL
DB
LB

Head Coach - Pat Fitzgerald
Not the favorable choice here (because he comes from the Collegiate ranks) but with talent on defense attained in FA & the draft this off season he has assets needed to allow Pettine to succeed and drive his culture. I look at Fitzgerald as a rich mans Bill O’Brien who’s had success in Houston with the proper support, we do the same in Packerland. Culture driver, accountable, respected and constant energy to ignite the entirety of this team including 12. Brings in LaFluer to be the OC/Asst Head Coach and have full control of offense to drive innovation as needed with 12.

Cut
Perry (June 1) 
Time to move on, not really a fit any longer to make plays as expected.

Restructure 
Bulaga 2yr 12 mil (add a yr, give him $4mil more to stay on, saves $2.5m)
Had this conversation last year, with his declining availability he know this is a smart move to retain his place on the team.

Cap
$48mil est

FA 
Earl Thomas 3yr 10mil ($10mil guaranteed)
New leader of our defense, some will cringe at the spend here but it’s needed and Thomas is no where near being finished. He has more All-Pro motivation left after how things ended in Seattle and is looking to prove it.
Trey Flowers 4yr 15mil per ($30mil guaranteed)
Cost here might go up a bit depending on how this market plays out, we all know the talent he brings and with our dline being stout, we find our Perry replacement to set the edge, play smart, lead this young group of guys and get to the QB
Henry Anderson 3yr 7mil per (no guaranteed)
Youth, length and a little better version of Lowry that will team to make this line tough to block and get to the QB just like our edge additions. Play the position well and will help our run defense.

Resign 
CM3 2yr 6mil
Comes back to new role as part edge part inside backer to boost our defensive options
Breelund 2yr 5mil 
Knows the Packers saved his career and comes back loving the fit he’s had with our defense and Pettine as a play maker.

**cap space $5mil est**

Draft Day Trades
Trade 2(14) + Future 3rd to Texans for 2(25) + 2(26)
Trade 7(14) + 4(16) to Arizona for 4(1)

Draft
1(14) Jachai Polite Edge Florida (6’2” 250lbs)
Has a flash of a brilliance with burst off the edge that is in the top of this class. Can move laterally which allows him to get around the field athletically and slip blocks when being overpowered at times. Has to develop hand techniques further but so does every rusher. Teams w/ Jaire & Clark for the Future look of our defense which is bright w/ Pettine.
1(32) Dalton Risner G/T Kansas St (6’5” 310lbs)
Nasty, strong, bull that is what our OL needs and lost when Lang & Sitton left. Not the greatest footwork but that’s why we slide him inside to G. Great hands and punch that stop defenders in their rush, mental edge needed to be a smart player.
2(25) Nasir Adderley S Deleware (5’11” 200lbs)
Excellent range and ball skills as a former corner that’s needed in our back end, will take over during season for Jones and allow him to be more of a Jack of All trades for Pettine. Will learn ropes from Thomas and be our next in line S we’ve been waiting for. Who doesn’t want the Adderley name on the back of a Packer jersey again?
2(26) TJ Hockenson TE Iowa (6’5” 250lbs)
A pickup from TE U that has all the skills we need for our next TE1. Has blocking down and has the speed and skill to snag passes all over the field. His lower half is under developed but once he fills that out he will become a wrecking crew. What we’ve needed at TE and finally get.
3(13) Kristian Fulton DB LSU (6’0” 180lbs)
Has played opposite of Greedy Williams all season so hasn’t gotten the attention needed. But after getting his eligibility resolved he’s come back to make the LSU secondary great again. He’s fluid and great in man coverage with the ball skills we want in our DBs. 
4(1) Terrell Hanks LB New Mexico St (6’2” 245lbs)
Might end up lighting up the SR bowl and not be available here, but for now he is and brings a football players mentality and athleticism to our LB corp that is needed. Has play speed, range and sideline to sideline ability. Competition between him and Burks will drive the best man for the job.
4(14) Sutton Smith Edge NIU (6’1” 245lbs)
Gadget guy for Pettine with speed, bend and motor to cause tremendous pain to the offense on selected downs. Won’t start but will build rotation as needed and always be fresh, similar to Eagles concept. Guy can play MLB in our scheme as well once he picks it up more, which will lead to more field time. Will bolster our special teams as well. This rounds out the rebuild of our LB corps.
5(14) Anthony Ratliff-WIlliams - WR - UNC
Former QB who transitioned to WR at UNC and is just scratching the surface of what he’s capable of. Great in the return game as well which aids his YAC ability. Joins our WR group last year giving us 3 in the fold with 3 initials MVS ESB & ARW…. I can dig it!
6(14) Cody Conway OL Syracuse (6’6” 305lbs)
Has a makings of a potential LT with great feet and nice kick step. A year of weights and 2 NFL off seasons he will stack on the strength needed to replace Bulaga at RT with Risner at RG our right side of the line is developing nicely with competition between him & Spriggs.
6(24) Lexington Thomas RB UNLV (5’9” 180lbs)
Poor mans version of Tarik Cohen, quick acceleration and has the long speed / quickness needed to be a serviceable 3rd back. Has some concerns around durability and fit so he slots nicely here for the Packers to fill their backfield. Typical 3rd down back, but has the speed most don’t, has produce a lot of TDs on poor UNLV teams.

Roster
ARog, Kizer
Jones, Williams, Thomas
Graham, Hockenson, Tonyon
Tae, MVS, Allison, ESB, ARW, Kumerow, Moore
Bahk, Bulaga, Linsley, Taylor, Risner, Spriggs, Patrick, Pankey, Conway (24)

Clark, Daniels, Anderson, Lowry, Adams, Lancaster
Flowers, Polite, Fackrell, Sutton, Gilbert
Blake, CM3, Burks, Hanks
Jaire, King, Fulton, Jackson, Breelund, Brown
Thomas, Adderly, Jones, Greene, Tramon (26)

Crosby
Bradley
Scott

Let me know your thoughts, altered a few items from the previous Mock that feel push this team in an even better direction.

13 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You lost me when you extended Bulaga, then I read further and you re-signed Clay. I also am not fond of paying top dollar for an aging safety coming off an Achilles injury. I appreciate your effort, but this one is not my cup of tea.  

Earl Thomas is not coming off an achilles injury .. he broke his leg.

Like the re sign of Bulaga and CM III.  Love to have them back at those figures.  Not big on E Thomas though, just doesn't seem like a good value.  Pretty risky at his age. Like the first two picks a lot.  Like the second two, but feel it's a round too early for both.  Kind of nit picky on my part. Nice overall effort.

30 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Did he rupture the ACHILLES earlier in career or am I imagining that happened to him?

I don't think he's ever had that serious of an injury.  Richard Sherman tore his achilles last year .. maybe that's what you are thinking of?  As for Earl's latest injury .. it was a clean break .. tibia .. should be 100 percent by free agency.  

31 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Did he rupture the ACHILLES earlier in career or am I imagining that happened to him?

Broke his leg in 2016 and 2018.  Had a separated shoulder at the end of 2014 season.  And a few hamstrings, but honestly, who doesn't? I do remember someone hurting their achilles, and I don't think it was Richard Sherman, but I could be wrong about that.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Broke his leg in 2016 and 2018.  Had a separated shoulder at the end of 2014 season.  And a few hamstrings, but honestly, who doesn't? I do remember someone hurting their achilles, and I don't think it was Richard Sherman, but I could be wrong about that.

With that medical history,  he would be on IR in about 2 hours after signing a contract with the GB PackIRs

Another thing about that leg break .. it happened a second time because Thomas didn't have surgery the first time.  It was aligned properly and he just opted to let it heal naturally.  This time he had surgery and had a rod inserted.   He should heal up nice .. I hope the Packers make a huge play for him.  He's still got some good years ahead and is a leader .. despite flipping off the Seattle bench after the latest injury. 

I like the extension of Bulaga.  I think it is a mistake to cut him, and why would he take a simple pay cut? IMO it takes a pretty high investment and a hit to replace him.  

Nassir Adderley is a Packer, just as Chase Coffman was.  Just the way it is.

I think that you may have invested in the DL a bit too much.  We return Daniels and Clark, Lowry, Lancaster and Adams have another year of experience.  We can also probably get Wilkerson back for cheaper than Anderson gets in the mock.  I'm not sure we need 2 FA DL. 

1 hour ago, chillparsi1 said:

Quality work, appreciate it. Don't know the picks well enough to comment right now, but from a position standpoint I'm on board. Can Risner play RT as well? 

Yes he can play RT too, which is why he gets drafted in the first due to his ability to play multiple positions on the line.

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Another thing about that leg break .. it happened a second time because Thomas didn't have surgery the first time.  It was aligned properly and he just opted to let it heal naturally.  This time he had surgery and had a rod inserted.   He should heal up nice .. I hope the Packers make a huge play for him.  He's still got some good years ahead and is a leader .. despite flipping off the Seattle bench after the latest injury. 

This is correct, I have zero issues with is injury history, similar to others that have played as long. Sherman was the one who blew out his achilles, so ppl need to stop losing their minds about Thomas for that.

We are signing him because he still has it and has leadership which this defense specifically lacks. Which is also why we bring Clay back, if those that disliked it had read further you'd see he's not starting anymore and plays multiple backer positions adding to his value with us. Bulaga can't just be let go & for those reading it was only a year extension for a minimal 4mil extra. Pocket change for the depth that we need.

Appreciate the feedback, I do find it laughable that my previous mock I let Clay & Bulaga walk, ppl lost their minds. This one I sign them and ppl continue to lose them. They have value as long as the money matches. This mock it does, GPG

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like the extension of Bulaga.  I think it is a mistake to cut him, and why would he take a simple pay cut? IMO it takes a pretty high investment and a hit to replace him.  

Nassir Adderley is a Packer, just as Chase Coffman was.  Just the way it is.

I think that you may have invested in the DL a bit too much.  We return Daniels and Clark, Lowry, Lancaster and Adams have another year of experience.  We can also probably get Wilkerson back for cheaper than Anderson gets in the mock.  I'm not sure we need 2 FA DL. 

Flowers will be playing Edge strictly for us, he will replace Perry. I like our group on DL but out of Lowry, Lancaster and Adams there isn't a starter. With that said if other FA's cost go up I'm not opposed to bringing back Wilkerson.

Archived