Todd Bowles

Tizzy

Manusky is not leaving.  Everyone knows the seat is hot for Gruden, and even though he may have gained a year, no above average to great coordinator is coming to join his staff at this point.  Bowles is known as one of the best defensive minds, so he will have his pick of jobs and most will be better than Washington's. 

They definitely should look to hire Bowles as the Deffensive Coordinator. We've seen Bruce Allen and Snyder blame other's for their mistake, so if Manusky has to be let go as a good PR move I don't see them not doing that while allowing Jay to stay. They did try to get Wade Phillips, so maybe they go after Bowles. 

26 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

They definitely should look to hire Bowles as the Deffensive Coordinator. We've seen Bruce Allen and Snyder blame other's for their mistake, so if Manusky has to be let go as a good PR move I don't see them not doing that while allowing Jay to stay. They did try to get Wade Phillips, so maybe they go after Bowles. 

Except Jay Gruden took Phillips into a film room and essentially tried to embarrass him. 

No legit NFL defensive coordinator is going to come here while Jay Gruden is in charge.  It will just be another crony hire from his or his brother's coaching tree. 

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Except Jay Gruden took Phillips into a film room and essentially tried to embarrass him. 

No legit NFL defensive coordinator is going to come here while Jay Gruden is in charge.  It will just be another crony hire from his or his brother's coaching tree. 

Damn, I didn't know that. 

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Damn, I didn't know that. 

Neither did I, until someone here shared it with me.  I always wondered why we didn't hire Phillips then, especially with his son on our staff.  

Finally, I got a call to interview with the Washington Redskins. Jay Gruden, their head coach, had fired his defensive coordinator, Jim Haslett, and wanted to talk with me about the job. By this point my son Wes was the Redskins’ tight ends coach, so I was looking forward to the possibility of us working together again. But my interview with Jay was strange, to say the least. I’d had unusual interviews before—like the one with Marty Schottenheimer that took forever because he asked a million questions about the 3–4 defense—but I had never gone through something quite like this.

When Jay was the offensive coordinator in Cincinnati and I was with the Texans, I faced the Bengals twice in the playoffs, after the 2011 and 2012 seasons, and beat them both times—31–10 and 19–13. I felt he knew my credentials and might have been impressed with the things we were able to do in the previous three games in which we had beaten the Bengals, including one game during the regular season.

We watched a lot of tape of the Texans’ games versus his offense. It seemed to me a lot of the plays were of when Cincinnati did well. Most of the interview was about that. I thought we should have talked more about philosophy, technique, concepts, and my record, but he was the one interviewing me.

After the interview I told Wes of my disappointment. I felt Jay didn’t have as much regard for my coaching as I’d hoped he would. He ended up hiring Joe Barry, a friend of his, to be defensive coordinator. Joe had been with the Chargers, whose defensive coordinator was John Pagano. John had been my linebackers coach when I was the defensive coordinator in San Diego, so Joe basically learned my defensive system through John.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/05/son-of-bum-wade-phillips-book-excerpt-redskins-interview

18 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Neither did I, until someone here shared it with me.  I always wondered why we didn't hire Phillips then, especially with his son on our staff.  

Thanks. Just more proof why this team can't reach full potential and why Gruden shouldn't be the Head Coach. 

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. He showed him clips of his teams doing well against Phillips' defense. That was it.

I believe it was a couple lucky plays out of a playoff game Houston (Phillips D)beat Cincy. Gruden probably saw him a a threat to his own job, as Phillips has been an interim many times before. 

As far as Bowles, I agree that Gruden shouldn’t get to hire another coordinator. Hope he’s canned tonight

On 12/29/2018 at 7:53 PM, turtle28 said:

My personal opinion is that Gruden shouldn’t get to have a 3rd hire as a defensive coordinator.

I’d rather start from scratch then to see Gruden get another chance to hire a defensive coordinator.

4th. Haslett, Barry, Manusky.

Why would Bowles want to come into a situation where he knows he might not have a job the next year because this staff is a dumpster fire!!! Love Bowles!!! This would be a good football move which eliminates us from contention for that type of thing!!!

Archived