What's your confidence level of the Rams as they enter the playoffs?

stl4life07

@Flounch Im not trying to make you look bad or anything but again I disagree. I think it is about the number of attempts. In football its a marathon not a sprint. If a team is not gaining anything in the 1st or 2nd quarter on the ground, if they stick long enough usually in the 4th quarter those 2-3yd gains will turn to 6-7+yd gains. Even with Gurley who we have seen countless of times, especially in his rookie season where he would absolutely suck running the ball in the 1st half. The 2nd half comes he is dominating. Backs like Gurley and even Anderson get stronger as the game goes on. You need to stick with it and not be discourage by the results early. No defense wants to tackle a back like Gurley or Anderson for 4 quarters. Sure if they shut them down in the 1st and 2nd quarter, even most of the 3rd quarter they are hopeful either the team is up HUGE so the opponent have to abandon the run OR the team just gets discourage because the run isnt successful so they just stop running altogether. IF by some chance that team sticks to the run and it just isnt successful from start to finish then you tip your cap off to the other team from shutting the run down. Plain a simple. So again I disagree its about the attempts. If not for nothing it gives the other team a thought that the team is still trying to run so when they do a playaction pass they still have to think about a running play. When you run the ball 12 times against the Bears, what good does a playaction pass do? If the Rams ran the ball at least 20 times then the Bears will at least have slow do the rush a bit because the Rams are still trying to run. The Bears knew the Rams wasnt trying to run at all so when the playaction pass happened they just went straight to the QB. Same can be said as to why QBs should throw the deep ball even if they arent completing them. It gives the defenses something to think about because if a QB isnt throwing downfield the defense can just squat on all the underneath stuff. So I dont care if a QB goes 0-10 on deep balls, the fact that the QB is throwing 10 deep balls will have an effect on the defense because they have to play back some because all it takes it one play that a defense forgets to defend deep and that QB finally connects on a deep ball and its an easy 7pts. So its totally about the attempts if not just having the defense be aware that its still there but I believe with the Rams that if Gurley struggles for 2 and half quarters he is such a great back and the Rams can run the ball period that eventually if they stick with the run Gurley will get going eventually. If by some chance he doesnt then you tip your cap to the other team and say great job of shutting the best player on the team down. But I cant say that if Gurley only has 11 rushing attempts. Thats not enough even for Emmitt Smith who leads the NFL history in rushing yards to do anything. 

@Riftty I hope you are right. I personally dont think the Rams did that in anticipation they were possible playoff opponents. The Saints game was weird because the most important drive that wouldve given the Rams the lead early after they forced a Saints turnover, Gurley had stuff in his eyes from the turf and was taken out of the rest of the drive. That led to the 4th and 1 in which the Rams went for the fake, shouldve gotten it, but the Saints got the homefield call so the Rams didnt get it. The Saints scored the td and before you knew it the Rams was down by 21pts and had to abandon the run. The Bears game you cant give Gurley the ball 11 times on the ground. The Rams are the 3rd best running offense in the NFL. You dont become that because you cant run on certain teams. The Rams have the best if not one of the best backs in the NFL. They have a great oline. They have a great scheme. They can run the ball but its about committing to it. Of course you wont be able to run the ball well if you only have 12 rushing attempts. My point is the Rams has to establish the run and not just do it a handful of times, see that its not working early and abandon it. Stick with it especially if the game is close. If the game is away from you then you are forced to abandon it to a certain extent. The Rams were only down big in one game and that was the Saints game. Every other game they were either winning, tied, or if they trailed it was close. They had no legit reason to stop running. Again football is a marathon. Teams wear down as the game goes on. What look likes its not working early if you stick with it will start working late. You think the Bears defenders in the cold want to talk Gurley for 4 quarters? McVay did them a favor for only handing him the ball 11 times. So if the Rams see the Bears again hopefully they will get a big dose of Gurley and Anderson hopefully 25+ times and we will see come sometime in the 4th quarter if those defenders are shutting down the run. I know this all to well because even the best defense cant stop offenses if they are worn out from tackling all game long. I watch LSU football alot and when we battle Bama, our defense put up a great fight for 3 quarters. Come the 4th quarter Bama has worn out our defense and they start shredding us and pull away. They stick to the run the entire game and it pays off in the end. The Rams have to do exactly that and it dont matter what defense they face. 

I'm very happy that no one is talking about us or taking us as a serious contender. Keep a low profile. We ended the season on 2 wins against bad teams, but the defense played well. CJ Anderson was a great addition and I think can help keep Gurley fresh in games. I'd love to see a two back set with either of them flanking Goff and then sending Gurley out for a pass. It will keep the ILB honest on CJ running up the middle.

Only  thing that deeply concerns me is Goff. He's been bad after the bye. Missing open receivers, over throwing. or throwing behind them. Also, his turnovers have been worrysome. Our superbowl hopes are on his shoulders and we will only go as far as he takes us.

9 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I'm very happy that no one is talking about us or taking us as a serious contender. Keep a low profile. We ended the season on 2 wins against bad teams, but the defense played well. CJ Anderson was a great addition and I think can help keep Gurley fresh in games. I'd love to see a two back set with either of them flanking Goff and then sending Gurley out for a pass. It will keep the ILB honest on CJ running up the middle.

Only  thing that deeply concerns me is Goff. He's been bad after the bye. Missing open receivers, over throwing. or throwing behind them. Also, his turnovers have been worrysome. Our superbowl hopes are on his shoulders and we will only go as far as he takes us.

Yeah people will bring up the Rams beating up on the Cards and Niners but they are pumping up the Bears who barely beat those same teams this season. They beat the Cards 16-14 and the Niners 14-6. So thats spinning at its finest. 

Im not worried about Goff. He went through a mini slump it happens in a long season. Goff has put those games behind him. Goff has shown this season more times than not how great he can be in big games going head to head with big time QBs like Rivers, Brees, Mahomes, ARod and not only beating most of them but outplaying them. If I had a concern it would be the mentality for McVay to abandon the run. I think with the addition of Anderson and now Gurley being rested and healthier Im more than confident McVay is going to continue running the football as he has been doing the past two games. When the Rams run for over 100yds with their starters under McVay they are (19-3). The Rams havent lost a game this season when leading in the 4th quarter. Goff has been great in the 4th quarter this season. 

7 hours ago, Boboso20 said:

You guys have any team you would rather play next Saturday? Personally I’m rooting for the cowboys and eagles. I want a piece of the cowboys. I think our defense would shut them down. 

I want the Seacocks.

It's official now: We're either going to play the Cowboys or the Bears. After watching the Boys tonight, I think i honestly might rather play the Bears. The Bears have a great defense, but so do the Cowboys. I'm more afraid of Zeke and the way the Cowboys offense has been playing rather than Mitch Trubisky. 

Having said that, there's no reason we should lose to either team. 

12 hours ago, Boboso20 said:

You guys have any team you would rather play next Saturday? Personally I’m rooting for the cowboys and eagles. I want a piece of the cowboys. I think our defense would shut them down. 

I think that we can beat any team in the league, but I'd rather have Foles go against us, just because he is not as mobile as the other two. But we will see what happens today and who are we going to play.

2 hours ago, dtwizzy2k8 said:

It's official now: We're either going to play the Cowboys or the Bears. After watching the Boys tonight, I think i honestly might rather play the Bears. The Bears have a great defense, but so do the Cowboys. I'm more afraid of Zeke and the way the Cowboys offense has been playing rather than Mitch Trubisky. 

Having said that, there's no reason we should lose to either team. 

They're both good teams. We could lose to either. But I agree that I'd prefer the Bears. We suck at defending the run. The Cowboys are willing to pound it 30+ times if we can't stop it. Plus, you know McVay and Goff want revenge for that disaster in Chicago.

Archived