Preseason Week 3 Bengals @ Redskins

MrCincinnati

We're officially halfway through the preseason, and this next game is always the most important week. The 3rd preseason game is the game where the starters play three quarters of the game, and lucky for us the game is on national TV for all to see.

There opponent is a Redskins team who underachieved last season by narrowly missing the playoffs. Both teams played each other in a very competitive game  in London last year which ultimately ended in a tie.

GAMEDAY INFO

Game time will be on Sunday at 4:30 PM ET.  The game will be televised on Fox.

The game will be replayed on NFL Network only once. Here is the following day and time

Wednesday 8-30 / 1 PM

5 THINGS TO WATCH FOR

5. Progress from the OL – Unless something changes, it appears the final picture of the OL will be Ogbuehi, Boling, Bodine, Hopkins, and Fisher. So far during the preseason, Hopkins and Fisher have been good, and Boling will be fine when the regular season starts. But Ogbuehi and Bodine still have some question marks. It’s no secret Bodine doesn’t usually play well in the regular season, and Ogbuehi has lots to prove as well. While Hopkins and Fisher have been solid in the preseason, they will still need to translate that during the regular season. How these guys play in a much longer preseason game will be a good sample size. If 3 out of 5 of these guys play good this season, that’s good enough for me considering everybody seems certainly that only 1 out of 5 of these guys will be good.

4. Opportunity for Clayton Fejedelem – With Shawn Williams now possibly being out for a while, Fejedelem will be getting the nod to start in his place in week 1. This was a guy who I figured to be fighting for a roster spot during preseason, and now this injury has sealed his spot to make the team for sure. Clayton was already given 2 games to start in the preseason in place for Iloka, so he’s not being thrown in the fire at least. The secondary had some trouble against the Chiefs, so if he plays a solid game coming up, then it will erases some worries about how damaging the loss of Williams could be. If he gets torched though, the Bengals may get desperate and make a change.

3. Smith and Willis Snap Count – Michael Johnson has been extremely bad in the preseason, and now he feels the heat from the rookie Jordan Willis and a guy trying to make the team in Chris Smith. Both Willis and Smith have played great in the preseason, but Smith has been much better. It appears not only does he have a roster spot now, the question is what does it mean for starter Michael Johnson now. I’m not convinced they end up cutting Michael Johnson, but how much playing time he will see will be a thing to watch for. The amount of snaps Smith and Willis get in this 3rd game will tell the story on how much playing time they get in the regular season as well.

2. The Defense and Tackling – It was painful to watch this defense as an entire unit in their last game, as it felt like they couldn’t stop anybody. Aside from some of the backup pass rusher and a good game by Nick Vigil, the biggest problem came from the tackling and not being able to finish. Guys like Billings, Shaw, Minter, and even Burfict had bad games against the Chiefs and couldn’t figure out how to stop Charcandrick West. I’m not one to discredit that the Chiefs were simply a better team, but they are known for having a good defense, not so much as their offense. Granted some of the starters didn’t play that game, but they will have a good test against the Redskins whom also destroyed their defense last year.

1. John Ross Debut – If all goes well, we will finally see the 9th pick from this year draft, play in his first game in primetime no less. They took a big gamble on a guy that most people didn’t even see as a top 20 pick in the draft, and are banking on him to not only be long-term answer for the Bengals #2 WR, but to possibly become the fastest player in the NFL since Chris Johnson. Dalton has never been known to have good deep ball accuracy though, so one of the big questions for Ross will be if he can make a huge difference for the Bengals offense. But the biggest question of all will be the durability on this guy. If he does live up to the hype, you will see the best Bengals WR duo since Ocho and Housh.

1 hour ago, MrCincinnati said:

1. John Ross Debut – If all goes well, we will finally see the 9th pick from this year draft, play in his first game in primetime no less. They took a big gamble on a guy that most people didn’t even see as a top 20 pick in the draft, and are banking on him to not only be long-term answer for the Bengals #2 WR, but to possibly have the fastest player in the NFL since Chris Johnson. Dalton has never been known to have good deep ball accuracy though, so one of the big questions for Ross will be if he can make a huge difference for the Bengals offense. But the biggest question of all will be the durability on this guy. If he does live up to the hype, you will see the best Bengals WR duo since Ocho and Housh.

1 hour ago, MrCincinnati said:

3. Smith and Willis Snap Count – Michael Johnson has been extremely bad in the preseason, and now he feels the heat from the rookie Jordan Willis and from a guy trying to make the team in Chris Smith. Both Willis and Smith have played great in the preseason, but Smith has been much better. It appears not only does he have a roster spot now, the question is what does it mean for starter Michael Johnson now. I’m not convinced they end up cutting Michael Johnson, but how much playing time he will see will be a thing to watch for. The amount of snaps Smith and Willis get in this 3rd game will tell the story on how much playing time they get in the regular season as well.

These are about the only things i'm interested in.  Don't care a lick about how bad the team has looked overall.  Just want to see the new toy and MJ see some competition.

20 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I've barely seen any of the preseason so far, but i'll hopefully get the watch some this Sunday.  I hope the Bengals are willing to cut Michael Johnson if he has been as bad as advertised so far this year.

We'll probably cut Gilberry and keep Michael Johnson.  That's my guess at least...

22 hours ago, theJ said:

These are about the only things i'm interested in.  Don't care a lick about how bad the team has looked overall.  Just want to see the new toy and MJ see some competition.

I would have to agree that those 2 choices are probably the most important to watch. But I gotta see this team bounce back from the poor tackling from last game.

1 minute ago, MrCincinnati said:

I would have to agree that those 2 choices are probably the most important to watch. But I gotta see this team bounce back from the poor tackling from last game.

I mean, that's important. I just don't care ?

13 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I watched every play Michael Johnson has taken a part of this preseason. It's a joke how he's starting and overall how he's even on the team. Same with Eric Winston (even though he's not starting) he needs to just retire at this point. 

What frustrates me the most is how we're miss using our pass rushers as well.  I get the whole run stuffing DE on early downs then bring in a fresh pass rusher on 3rd down thought process but IMO it's just wrong.  Chris Smith stated in an interview that he understands rushing the passer is a chess match against the OT.  So he'll set them up and use a variety of moves.  So while one rush might be ineffective, the next down he'll play off of his last move to setup the OT and get to the QB.  You can see that in the Chiefs game.  When he was brought in for 1 play, he did OK but when he played an entire drive, he dominated.  I hope our coaches see that and give him consecutive snaps against a 1st team OT.  

Everyone knows Trent Williams will stonewall Michael Johnson, let's see if Chris Smith can have some success against one of the best LTs in the game.  If he does that's all the proof the team should need...

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Everyone knows Trent Williams will stonewall Michael Johnson

That will be an understatement. What I've seen so far is worse than what I saw with Peko the last few seasons. At least he was facing double teams at times. Michael Johnson has fell down, been pushed down, been driven back, or just stops when the play isn't going his way. Its pathetic seeing him make as much as he does with either little effort or just plain regression. I understand Michael Johnson probably knows the playbook really well, but it doesn't matter if he doesn't execute.

Defensive coordinator Paul Guenther plans to put the kids on display even more in Sunday’s pre-season game (4:30 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 19) at Washington. He wants his young speed rushers to go against Pro Bowl tackle Trent Williams and his young inside rushers to go against 2015 first-round pick Brandon Scherff at right guard.

“The most important thing for me is to get these guys in early against players who will be playing every Sunday,” Guenther said. “If we get anything out of this game, that’s it.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Youth-re-energizes-Bengals-front-/16a4e588-957f-4101-8e57-6f60dde0db77

It might actually happen!!!

On 8/23/2017 at 10:24 PM, johndeere1707 said:

I watched every play Michael Johnson has taken a part of this preseason. It's a joke how he's starting and overall how he's even on the team. Same with Eric Winston (even though he's not starting) he needs to just retire at this point. 

I am so worried about this o-line over all..

Archived