Free ain't free in the NFL...

vike daddy

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Alex Boone? Riley Reiff? Mike Remmers?

Did these players fix the line? No. And the same tier, the same quality of linemen are the ones who were available once again. So why would anyone think that signing them would have different results?

Because you can't just give up. Their draft picks haven't worked either, why would anyone think they will now? Or maybe you are saying the GM should be gone?

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

Or maybe you are saying the GM should be gone?

I have been trying hard to be patient because I see some of the positive qualities of Rick Spielman too, but I can't blame anyone that is ready to call for Rick's firing. I fear that I'll be joining the movement soon. Some people are making good points about Spielman's repeated failures fixing the offensive line. Even the defense of Spielman not making a move yet is pointing out his previous failures.

There are still some targets available the team can trade for. It will cost plenty but it looks like Rick left himself little other choice. 

There’s still plenty of choice... if we go through the draft process without attempting to shore up the line, then it’s clearly an issue. 

Two day two picks the last two years, money thrown at players like Boone, Remmers, and Reiff... they’ve taken their swings, but a lack of continuity in the offensive coaching staff and scheme sometimes leaves players that the team has previously signed, like an Alex Boone or Mike Remmers, no longer fit the scheme being used. It’s on the coaches to figure out a way to best use the players they have.

or, the players they’ve signed just haven’t been good, but they’re the best of what’s available (see Alex Boone & Mike Remmers). I’m personally glad that Rick and Co haven’t thrown the silly money being thrown around in free agency to some of these players. Outside of Paradis, who we don’t know if he was interested in coming here, there’s not a single contract I would have given out to an offensive lineman that these teams have given out. 

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Josh Sitton was released. He's 32 but I wouldn't mind taking a look at him at RG if he's healthy. Bring back Easton too fill LG. Obviously, G would still be a draft day prority. Doesn't hurt the comp pick situation either. 

As long as his shoulder is healthy. 

Andy Levitre is another veteran I’d be interested in, providing he’s healthy. 

Like some have said Stefen Wisniewski would be of interest but really it is all a crap shoot unless they have a plan.  And pathetically in free agency it is usually based off the season they just had and assumed projection or improvement down the road, or it is a coach who knows a guy or has a connection to the guy.  Prime example recently with OBJ, WR coach was his WR coach in college, Landry played with him at LSU also etc.  

So unless the current OL coach has some connection or inside info not much faith in them making a big OL signing this off season.  

PS If Bortles was cheap I would not mind him as a backup to be honest.  

Also PS the Bears are forming a pretty damn good OL, but why did they sign Ted Larsen?  I already have James Daniels who is a future star, Cody Whitehair at center and a Pro Bowler in Kyle Long at the other guard

OT Charles Leno / Bradley Sowell
OG James Daniels 
C Cody Whitehair
OG Kyle Long/ Ted Larsen
OT Bobby Massie

Regardless that is what a solid and talented OL looks like Minnesota, damnit 

6 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

What are the thoughts on T.J. Lang?

I don’t know that I have much thought on him other than he is a veteran, and has played well in the past. On an inexpensive deal, he very well could be an upgrade from what we currently have..

What I mainly came here to write is that Lang has come out and said that he is considering retirement, and something along the lines of letting teams know that if they have other prospects that they should focus on them over him (not in a backhanded way or anything, just that he’s not sure what he’s going to do going forward, so he doesn’t want to waste anyone’s time unless they are very serious in signing him). To me, I think that’s not the best sign, and he might not really be “in it” anymore.

Regardless, for the right price, I think he could potentially be an upgrade, albeit a very short term/stop gap one.

24 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

I really want some Eric Berry next to Smith

It would be amazing, but unless they trade Waynes, find a way to restructure Rudolph and Griffen then there really is no way. Even if they do those I don't know how they do it.

1 hour ago, twslhs20 said:

I really want some Eric Berry next to Smith

I think Harris is the guy there next to Smith, he played really well last season and I’m looking forward to continued progression next season. He could be looking at a nice extension next year if he plays well again. There’s no way we can use the money on Berry when we could actually fill a hole on the team at OL, WR, RB, or K. He has declined but I’d think he at least fetches 6-8 mil per year. 

15 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I would be okay with Rick Spielman paying whatever the market dictates it takes to not lose another year owing to having a horrendous offensive line. Wasting money on something that isn't a fix isn't acceptable. Rick has had years to get it right and he has not been able too. For a results oriented person like myself that matters. Every other team has participated in the same market and very few teams have had a line as consistently weak as the Vikings.

I agree.  Whatever the strategy was for upgrading the offensive line over the last 4 or 5 seasons...it hasn't really worked.  It's evident that 2nd or 3rd tier free agent signings is not the answer.  Neither is mid or lower round draft choices paying off.  This seems to leave using high draft picks (O'Neill...2nd Round) or spending lots of free agency money on 1st tier offensive linemen; OR making a trade for higher picks for established players.  It seems to me that the Vikings have really good depth in the defensive backfield.  Would Rick be willing to sacrifice some depth for the sake of upgrading the line?  I kind of doubt that he's willing to take that risk...but, I would.

15 hours ago, swede700 said:

Since Spielman took over as GM in 2012, their offensive line has been in the top 10 3 times.  It's only been really bad in 2016 and last year.  2016 was the year they suffered massive injuries...and last year they lost their OL coach just prior to training camp.  I think you are far too critical of them.

I've said for at least 5 years (if not 10) now that the offensive lines as a whole throughout the league have gotten worse.  The Vikings' offensive lines, as a whole, have certainly gotten worse, but not comparatively to the whole league.  Compared to the rest of the league, they've been okay for the most part.     

In my opinion, the quarterbacks (Ponder and Bridgewater) due to their mobility, and still having Peterson, made the line seem better than they really were.

Archived