Free ain't free in the NFL...

vike daddy

18 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Exactly. If we don't sign Kirk we probably have around $20 million devoted to Case or Sammy B anyway.

But neither of those guys would have received fully guaranteed contracts for three years. Neither of them would have prevented them from seeking a true franchise quarterback. Neither of them would preclude the possibility of bringing back all of our FAs and maybe adding another one at a positof need. 

They also would have likely given the Vikings a similar result. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Who were they unable to keep? Which free agent were they unable to go after? 

Which players they don't keep are yet to be determined but the team has a host of free agents this year in addition to guys that will be free next year that they may want to extend. The team will not be able to get all these guys signed to new contracts.

Griffen, Rudolph, Barr, Waynes, Richardson, Murray, Alexander, Sendejo, etc... Depth will suffer. The team will still be able to go after a free agent if they want but at the expense of a guy that was already on the team. Alternatively, they'll be able to sign one less impact free agent.

We can't predict who it will be but simple math coupled with the team being up against the cap makes it obvious there will be guys they can't keep and/or guys they can't go out and get. This is the reality of the salary cap world. Things aren't the same as when we started watching the league. Finding value against the cap is essential to prolonged success in the modern NFL. It has been several years now in this system. It might be harder for fans to adjust but teams have already adapted and are intently familiar with the game within the game (cap management of football team).

48 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

and are intently familiar with the game within the game (cap management of football team).

Of which the Vikings have been one of the very best with Rob Brzezinski for a long time. 

In 2006 people said that giving a guard $49M would wreck the cap. In 2008 giving a DE $72M was met with similar concerns. Last year we kept hearing that paying Cousins would cripple the cap, yet it didn’t stop them from paying Sheldon Richardson, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, or Stefon Diggs. But, somehow it’s obvious that they can’t pay every body? 

I guess until it actually happens, I’m going to wait and see what Brzezinski is able to come up with. Because, so far, he’s been able to do what a lot of people have said he wouldn’t be able to. 

6 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Can't wait for us to have a legit Franchise QB someday. Cousins is ok but he's a short term answer. I want the 22 year that sticks it out with us for 10-15 years.

I just don't feel like thats is in the cards for this franchise.

7 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Only half joking, but sometimes I think were cursed.

I mean we've been looking since Tarkenton, right? Culpepper had some great seasons, but then got hurt and wasn't the same. Have we had a single QB in our franchise that has been a 10 year guy?

9 hours ago, vikestyle said:

I mean we've been looking since Tarkenton, right? Culpepper had some great seasons, but then got hurt and wasn't the same. Have we had a single QB in our franchise that has been a 10 year guy?

Nope.  Tarkenton is closest but even he was exiled to the NY Giants for 5 seasons.  Kramer was around for 10 seasons...I think...but a majority of that time he was the backup.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:42 AM, wcblack34 said:

Case got the same team to the NFCCG. Cousins got us a seat on the couch.  Ponder and Cousins were both objectively terrible moves. One was a reach, and the other had a verifiable history of being meh. Plus history and football economics were against the signing from the very beginning. But cool. We tried. And when his contract is up in 2 more years, we'll be closer to a rebuild than a rebound. 

Case is also sitting at home with his better offensive line, Sanders who is on par with Diggs, and a better running game.

39 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Case is also sitting at home with his better offensive line, Sanders who is on par with Diggs, and a better running game.

I don't think Sanders with his torn achilles is nearly on par with Diggs currently. Denver was still in the playoff hunt back when they had Sanders. Trading away Thomas (who also found his way to IR With a torn achilles) a bit before that didn't help either.

I don't think Denver's rookie RB is better than our second year RBl counting both him and the offensive line is double dipping IMO.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't think Sanders with his torn achilles is nearly on par with Diggs currently. Denver was still in the playoff hunt back when they had Sanders. Trading away Thomas a bit before that didn't help either.

I don't think Denver's rookie RB is better than our second year RBl counting both him and the offensive line is double dipping IMO.

Either way, overall I would say as an offense the Broncos offense is close to on par with our offense.

Archived