Free ain't free in the NFL...

vike daddy

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Kirk is about $60 million in 'Dead Cap' hit which is almost three times more than any other player on the team and a $29 million dollar 'cap hit' which is more than two times as much as any other player, 15.07% CAP total.  Go ask Tom Brady about taking a pay cut to help the team spend more and become a better team, he did it and they win.  Sure it is not all Kirk's fault but being the teams by far highest paid player, yeah it is a little bit his fault obviously.  

He gets paid well over 2.5 times more than anyone else on the roster.

It's still not Cousins' fault that he's paid what he's paid.  Take the issue up with the Vikings front office who were so desperate for a "franchise" quarterback that they thought a big contract would turn a fair quarterback into a great quarterback.  Who knows...it still might happen...a switch in Kirk might flip...but, color me skeptical.

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

If I was in a job that was performance based yeah I would do that.  Give me less pay but make my job easier and more productive in terms of goal accomplishment by hiring other good quality help and coworkers which would potentially create greater productivity, results and longevity etc.  Yeah give me that over getting paid max amount.  Not to mention in pro sports which is in many ways the pinnacle of performance based jobs where the point is winning not getting your max pay amount possible.  If that is the case and you just want to get paid, few will remember you being on bad teams but hey you got paid, please.  If one cannot support yourself and your family off the millions of dollars you get paid especially for the top level guys, that is just sad.  5 or 10 Million dollars here or there should not break you as a professional athlete, oh and you do get paid by your jersey sales also, not many buy jerseys of losers.

This is just so wildly inaccurate on so many that I don't know what to say. I just wanted to say that I guess.

• Like 2

The OL is still a mess.  So, let's blame Cousins for seeking fair market value last year.  Oh, wait!  We could criticize those execs who actually decide on OL to retain/add in FA or draft.

Too few fans forget that drafting MAY yield quality young players who are locked in for 4-5 years.... if you draft well.  But Rick The Pickumulator Spielman hasn't drafted well as regards OL, WRs, and QBs.  A large number of fans don't consider (now) that drafted rookies often replace aging vets during and after pre-season.   But, in late August, we abruptly recall that quality vets are on the street, to be signed as backups.

Perhaps the plan by Brezinski and Rick The Pickumulator is for RTP to accumulate a few picks, draft 3 OL in the top 5 rounds, including round 1, and hope for 1 or 2 vet OL being dumped and available to sign in the week after pre-season ends?  Why not sign at an inappropriate price any FA OL on the street NOW?  Because they AREN'T judged by their current teams to be as good as the marginal vet OL who ARE being retained on teams rosters while they await a better option in the draft.

The only problem with the above plan is RTP's failure to find quality OL in the draft, other than Kalil, pre-injury; e.g. Leave It To ....

th?id=OIP.s7u_TtK91PiUoRsNfaOxuQEsDe%26p

in reality it’s performance based.

but....

there’s a big difference between talking a $9M pay cut and a $30k pay cut. 

Still would be easy to live on $20M a year, but I would be keeping that $9M to set up my children’s lives and invest it now.

that $30k changes someone that makes $100K a years life. That’s a down payment on a house, large chunk of a brand new vehicle.

You started out at ford making $40k a year, a new dealership is offering you $100k salary to sell cars BMW’s (Vikings) and just say you could get a bump in pay every 3 years (kirks contract) if you sell the most cars (win Super Bowl) in any of those years.

Yr. 1 It didn’t happen, BMW comes to you and says, how about we drop you down to $70K a year since you didn’t sell the most cars last year. and we will give that $30k to someone to do some bookwork for you. 

What kind of person son are you getting for $30K ($9M) are you actually going to get to sell the most cars at BMW (win the Super Bowl)?

38 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

No you wouldn't.

Neither would 99.9% of people.  Hell, I make pretty good money, but I'm always looking around to see what more I can do to make more.  Hell, if I lose $30K a year, I'm pretty much back in the poorhouse again.  :D

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Neither would 99.9% of people.  Hell, I make pretty good money, but I'm always looking around to see what more I can do to make more.  Hell, if I lose $30K a year, I'm pretty much back in the poorhouse again.  :D

Disagrees strongly. If you are an entrepreneur when something starts to take off you make a choice. You take a pay cut to hire someone to help you grow your business or you keep all the money for yourself. Those with a fear of taking a short-term cut to improve the performance of the business hold back potential growth that would allow them to really hit it big.

I take exception to the claim that Mr @Ozzy would not take a pay cut in a performance based job. I don't know if he would or wouldn't but how can any of us say that he wouldn't? Several people do. More personally, last August I willingly took a 20% cut in pay to offload some work. I could claw that back anytime with just a month or two notice and yet I have been having no temptation to do that. It is very worthwhile to give up a bit of bank in order to allow yourself the opportunity to grow. There are opportunities all over the place. You do yourself a disservice if you are unwilling to leave yourself a bit of margin so that you can be available when opportunity knocks.

But to each their own. By all means, if you want to earn every dollar you can earn right now without consideration for future, have at it. Sometimes it is the right thing to do even. If you are leveraged already you would be right, IMO, to not take a cut for future growth. Becoming overleveraged will and has ruined many great opportunities.

Edited by Cearbhall

There's a huge difference between being an entrepreneur/independent contractor and being an employee.  I'm happy that you can willingly take a 20% pay cut.   I wish I could.  But, if I take a 20% pay cut, I'd have trouble paying all my bills.  I could likely still do it, but it certainly would involve a dramatic lifestyle change.  And I believe most would be in that same boat.  

The reality is the only thing that is really in my control right now is to increase my revenue.  I can only reduce my expenses so much before it creates a detrimental effect.  Like Kirk Cousins (although in a much longer timeframe), the time I have to increase my revenue is limited, therefore, any reduction in income now would create a detrimental effect on the long-term plan, because I'm already accounting for the fact that, when I get into my 60s (which is still 15 years away), there is a possibility that I might cost too much or may have to take a pay cut then to retain my job (as I plan to work until I'm 70, if I'm in good health), so I need to maximize my revenue now, so I can save more for later.  If an employer asked me to take a 20% cut to hire someone else, maybe I'd do it, but then I'd probably force them to hire someone to replace me, because I'm looking for a new place to work the day after that.  :D

Ok, that's enough life lessons discussion for the day...back to complaining about only having 1 guard on the roster.  :P

• Like 1

The Minnesota Vikings have one guard with NFL experience on the roster: Danny Isidora, who played 214 snaps in four games last season.

It’s no secret the Vikings are in dire straits as it pertains to the offensive line, but the outrageous deals for average O-line talent in free agency coupled with Minnesota’s tight cap space point to the free agent bargain bin and the draft as their only options to fix this glaring problem.

This isn’t lost on the Vikings' front office, which is aware that overpaying to correct flaws on the offensive line isn’t the best strategy going forward. While the answer to bolstering guard play might be found in the second and third wave of free agency with a more financially prudent option (let’s see what deals they might be able to work out with the likes of Josh Kline, Stefen Wisniewskiand other guards), Minnesota may decide that the spending money they do have isn’t worth it when they can address these positions in April.

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/28278/vikings-running-thin-on-free-agent-options-for-o-line-but-overspending-isnt-right-move

4 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Disagrees strongly. If you are an entrepreneur when something starts to take off you make a choice. You take a pay cut to hire someone to help you grow your business or you keep all the money for yourself. Those with a fear of taking a short-term cut to improve the performance of the business hold back potential growth that would allow them to really hit it big.

I take exception to the claim that Mr @Ozzy would not take a pay cut in a performance based job. I don't know if he would or wouldn't but how can any of us say that he wouldn't? Several people do. More personally, last August I willingly took a 20% cut in pay to offload some work. I could claw that back anytime with just a month or two notice and yet I have been having no temptation to do that. It is very worthwhile to give up a bit of bank in order to allow yourself the opportunity to grow. There are opportunities all over the place. You do yourself a disservice if you are unwilling to leave yourself a bit of margin so that you can be available when opportunity knocks.

But to each their own. By all means, if you want to earn every dollar you can earn right now without consideration for future, have at it. Sometimes it is the right thing to do even. If you are leveraged already you would be right, IMO, to not take a cut for future growth. Becoming overleveraged will and has ruined many great opportunities.

The thing is that an Alex Smith type injury could happen to Kirk Cousins this year. He could never play again after this contract. Being an entrepreneur or businessman is much different than being in a job where you put your physical and mental health at risk on a weekly basis. Plus, in a normal job you will work for 40+ years, so you would have ample time to make up for short term lost wages. Kirk, and any player for that matter, needs to maximize their earnings as much as they can because it could all end on a moment's notice.

7 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

The thing is that an Alex Smith type injury could happen to Kirk Cousins this year. He could never play again after this contract. Being an entrepreneur or businessman is much different than being in a job where you put your physical and mental health at risk on a weekly basis. Plus, in a normal job you will work for 40+ years, so you would have ample time to make up for short term lost wages. Kirk, and any player for that matter, needs to maximize their earnings as much as they can because it could all end on a moment's notice.

Point taken, but even at a single year career you have some margin when you are earning $30M in the year. I mean, most of us never earn that much in a lifetime. I don't begrudge the guy for maximizing his earnings at all. I just disagree with an outright assertion that Ozzy wouldn't take a pay cut or that 99.9% of people wouldn't. I don't think it is anywhere near that uncommon. It probably feels like that for anyone that is still in the wealth accumulation phase of their life. Looking back, it is a mistake. Enjoy your health while you have it. It is worth sacrificing maximizing your profit in order to have some margin in life. That is coming from me as a pot calling a kettle black. I made the mistake of sacrificing too much for ever increasing revenues earlier in life. Money is an alluring mistress but ultimately it will never make you successful. When your health starts to go south you'll understand. I can only wish my health was as good as Mr @vike daddy claims about his health. I keep trying to improve my health but ultimately it is a battle we all lose eventually.

To add to the things that I disagree with, I don't agree that a businessman is not putting their mental health at risk on a constant basis. It is highly stressful and many have had to exit for mental health reasons. It is a constant juggling of ability to manage stress without pushing yourself over the edge. Also, I will add that any of us might never be able to continue our chosen profession at any point. Take the time to draw up a document for your wives letting them know how to handle all the affairs that you have been taking care of. One day, they will need to know what to do with the things that don't interest them today.

Like Mr @swede700 said and I agree with: " Ok, that's enough life lessons discussion for the day...back to complaining about only having 1 guard on the roster.  :P "

It's that time of year again!!!!! 

Who's gonna Ride The Pine?

Which Vikings front office guy Runs The Place?

Will the Vikings be able to Run To Pass this year?

Will Kirk Cousins ever be able to Rally The Players?

Will our posts be full of Random Tangential Prose?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Point taken, but even at a single year career you have some margin when you are earning $30M in the year. I mean, most of us never earn that much in a lifetime. I don't begrudge the guy for maximizing his earnings at all. I just disagree with an outright assertion that Ozzy wouldn't take a pay cut or that 99.9% of people wouldn't. I don't think it is anywhere near that uncommon. It probably feels like that for anyone that is still in the wealth accumulation phase of their life. Looking back, it is a mistake. Enjoy your health while you have it. It is worth sacrificing maximizing your profit in order to have some margin in life. That is coming from me as a pot calling a kettle black. I made the mistake of sacrificing too much for ever increasing revenues earlier in life. Money is an alluring mistress but ultimately it will never make you successful. When your health starts to go south you'll understand. I can only wish my health was as good as Mr @vike daddy claims about his health. I keep trying to improve my health but ultimately it is a battle we all lose eventually.

To add to the things that I disagree with, I don't agree that a businessman is not putting their mental health at risk on a constant basis. It is highly stressful and many have had to exit for mental health reasons. It is a constant juggling of ability to manage stress without pushing yourself over the edge. Also, I will add that any of us might never be able to continue our chosen profession at any point. Take the time to draw up a document for your wives letting them know how to handle all the affairs that you have been taking care of. One day, they will need to know what to do with the things that don't interest them today.

Like Mr @swede700 said and I agree with: " Ok, that's enough life lessons discussion for the day...back to complaining about only having 1 guard on the roster.  :P "

I mean stress and risking long term brain damage are two pretty different things.

I could live comfortably for the rest of my life on a fraction of the money they gave Cousins. No wife or family, no debts except college, no mortgage; I'd be set. The hard part would be saving it instead of blowing it on short-term comforts.

• Like 1