Free ain't free in the NFL...

vike daddy

I’ve made my stance known. In today’s NFL, teams should draft a QB high every other year or so. Always have the next cheap contract ready to go. Build your team elsewhere. If you hit on a Brady/Rodgers, great, but this way you don’t get stuck paying $28 million to Kirk Cousins. 

26 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I’ve made my stance known. In today’s NFL, teams should draft a QB high every other year or so. Always have the next cheap contract ready to go. Build your team elsewhere. If you hit on a Brady/Rodgers, great, but this way you don’t get stuck paying $28 million to Kirk Cousins. 

Certainly not easy to do when you've got holes up and down the roster. I think the Vikes are fortunate and have a very talented roster, a lot of other teams wouldn't be competitive with this approach. QBs who get drafted early and don't play don't have comparable trade value. Look at AZ. They could get a potentially better QB in Murray at 1 but they spent a top 10 pick on Rosen just last year and may be lucky to get a second round pick. 

As it relates to the Vikes, I'm not taking a QB early until next year In hopes of getting my the OL to a solid level of talent. But I do agree with the desire to move onto a cheaper and younger option than Cousins before having to commit to another contract. 

The Vikings would have been stuck paying $20M plus regardless...and you aren't going to trade away a solidified starter (it doesn't have to be Brady/Brees/Rodgers) just to save money.  That's how GMs get fired.  While I certainly would have preferred to just keep Teddy, I'm not confident at this point that he'd be playing any better than Cousins right now.  So, you just need to let go how much they are paying Cousins...because they would have been paying that regardless. 

And evenso, by you @wcblack34  saying they should have drafted a QB in 2016 (as that was 2 years after taking Teddy), would Paxton Lynch (who they would have taken instead of Laquon Treadwell) been any better?  I think not.  It's not just that simple, even though it may sound simple.   

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

While I certainly would have preferred to just keep Teddy, I'm not confident at this point that he'd be playing any better than Cousins right now.  So, you just need to let go how much they are paying Cousins...because they would have been paying that regardless.

These two sentences together don't compute for me. Teddy signed to compete for a starting job for something like $5M. I would be shocked to learn that Teddy would have only signed with MN for the amount of money Cousins got, or anything even close to it.  There is a decent chance he would have taken the same $5M with the Vikings IMO. Almost certainly, he would have signed with the Vikings for $10M. I can't remember exactly what I was saying before free agency last year but I believe I was suggesting offering him a $16M total two year contract. Looking back, I think he would have taken it.

Would his knee have held up? I don't know. That is why I wouldn't have guaranteed all of the $16M.

And I agree in a lack of confidence that he would be playing better. I would just rather have had him and the $20M per year for other players.

23 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

These two sentences together don't compute for me. Teddy signed to compete for a starting job for something like $5M. I would be shocked to learn that Teddy would have only signed with MN for the amount of money Cousins got, or anything even close to it.  There is a decent chance he would have taken the same $5M with the Vikings IMO. Almost certainly, he would have signed with the Vikings for $10M. I can't remember exactly what I was saying before free agency last year but I believe I was suggesting offering him a $16M total two year contract. Looking back, I think he would have taken it.

Would his knee have held up? I don't know. That is why I wouldn't have guaranteed all of the $16M.

And I agree in a lack of confidence that he would be playing better. I would just rather have had him and the $20M per year for other players.

At the time, I think it was rumored that he was saying he wouldn't take less than $15M from the Vikings and they were only offering $8-10M...it was only then that they moved on and signed Cousins to his contract, and then Teddy didn't receive any offers anywhere, which was what led to him getting that low offer from the Jets and taking it.  There was no way he was taking that from the Vikings initially, and then they had no desire to even give him that after signing Cousins.  

19 hours ago, Robbroy45 said:

Finally a good signing for the Vikings outside of Anthony Barr.  Nice pickup and will see what he can do, and people thought the AAF was a joke.  Tons of former players have been signed by NFL teams, wish they could have at least finished out the season there was only a few games left.  Hopefully the NFL will take that as their own much like the G-League for the NBA and provide teams with a minor league to develop talent on their roster.  It should be done and with the help of the NFL it could easily happen, not some stupid owner which is delusional and though the 1st year of the AAF would be a wild financial success and when it was not pulled the plug.  

18 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Certainly not easy to do when you've got holes up and down the roster. I think the Vikes are fortunate and have a very talented roster, a lot of other teams wouldn't be competitive with this approach. QBs who get drafted early and don't play don't have comparable trade value. Look at AZ. They could get a potentially better QB in Murray at 1 but they spent a top 10 pick on Rosen just last year and may be lucky to get a second round pick. 

As it relates to the Vikes, I'm not taking a QB early until next year In hopes of getting my the OL to a solid level of talent. But I do agree with the desire to move onto a cheaper and younger option than Cousins before having to commit to another contract. 

If you're not paying $28-$30 million a year to a mediocre QB, those holes become fewer and farther between. 

17 hours ago, swede700 said:

The Vikings would have been stuck paying $20M plus regardless...and you aren't going to trade away a solidified starter (it doesn't have to be Brady/Brees/Rodgers) just to save money.  That's how GMs get fired.  While I certainly would have preferred to just keep Teddy, I'm not confident at this point that he'd be playing any better than Cousins right now.  So, you just need to let go how much they are paying Cousins...because they would have been paying that regardless. 

And evenso, by you @wcblack34  saying they should have drafted a QB in 2016 (as that was 2 years after taking Teddy), would Paxton Lynch (who they would have taken instead of Laquon Treadwell) been any better?  I think not.  It's not just that simple, even though it may sound simple.   

In 2016, the Vikings could have taken Jacoby Brisset or Dak Prescott. Lynch wasn't the only guy left. Would we be in a better position? Maybe. Maybe not. But Teddy, had injury not occurred, would be playing on his 5th year option right now. Likely at half the price. That's a couple of offensive linemen this year, and maybe someone like Norwell, Pugh, Richburg, or the like last year. Is it a gamble? Sure. But the floor isn't much worse than Cousins, and the payoff could be a string of years of championship contention.

And while we may have paid more than $20M, there is quite a big difference between $20M and $28M.  

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

In 2016, the Vikings could have taken Jacoby Brisset or Dak Prescott. Lynch wasn't the only guy left. Would we be in a better position? Maybe. Maybe not. But Teddy, had injury not occurred, would be playing on his 5th year option right now. Likely at half the price. That's a couple of offensive linemen this year, and maybe someone like Norwell, Pugh, Richburg, or the like last year. Is it a gamble? Sure. But the floor isn't much worse than Cousins, and the payoff could be a string of years of championship contention.

And while we may have paid more than $20M, there is quite a big difference between $20M and $28M.  

They certainly could have taken them...but you said "high picks."  Brisset and Prescott were taken in the 3rd and 4th rds, respectively.  Those aren't high picks.  I have no issue with taking a QB every other year or so, but not necessarily requiring them to be high picks...because then you are likely sacrificing talent elsewhere for a guy that is guaranteed to probably warm the bench in most cases.

Just now, swede700 said:

They certainly could have taken them...but you said "high picks."  Brisset and Prescott were taken in the 3rd and 4th rds, respectively.  Those aren't high picks.  

I consider 3rd round picks to be high picks. May just be me. 

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

Others may certainly agree with you, but I only consider 1st and 2nd rd as high picks.  3rd and 4th are just mid-round picks.  As I edited my post after you had already responded, I have no problem with the concept of taking a QB every other year or so, but I'm just not a fan of using 1st or 2nd rd picks every other year to do so.  I would be fine, in most cases, to use a 3rd or later pick on a QB, if you already have your starter, just to have a plan in place, just in case.  As for the Vikings this year though, I wouldn't use a pick any higher than the 6th rd to grab a QB, because the class isn't great, and they don't necessarily have an immediate need (although they might have an "imminent" need to use a term that others have used).  If I'm going to use a 1st or 2nd, I'm waiting until next year when the class is better.

On another note, in 2016, I didn't do a whole lot of research on the QBs then, just because it wasn't a great class, but I was aware of Prescott...I wasn't a huge fan.  He's been better than I thought, but I still don't think he's all that great.  He's a passable starting QB, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them move on from him in a few years, if not even after this year, as he's in the last year of his deal.  They may give him an extension, but I'd expect that it'd be a short deal, because he really hasn't progressed all that much and I'm not sure he can be counted on long-term. 

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I've always thought high picks were round one and two and mid round picks were rounds three through five. I guess everyone has their own interpretation. 

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

nm

Archived