Free ain't free in the NFL...

vike daddy

I'll be interested to see what route is taken regarding the backup QB position.  While Zimmer has hinted that he wants a veteran backup, we'll have to see if that happens.  If it is to be, here are the "realistic" options (it won't be Tyrod Taylor or Josh McCown, who both will likely cost too much):

Mike Glennon (yuck)

Fitzmagic (possible)

Matt Cassel (not likely)

RGIII (not a chance)

Geno Smith (not likely)

The Sanchize (possible, as he was in training camp with Kubiak in 2016)

"Brick" Osweiler (not likely)

Tom Savage

Sean Mannion

But, in the end, call me a sucker, but I'd almost consider bringing in Blake Bortles as the backup QB (once he gets released) for a minimum dollar deal (since he's already guaranteed $6.5M by Jacksonville) if they don't get Fitzmagic.  

This would be the year to get a developmental QB and see if they turn into anything by the time Kirk's contract is up. I would love to see a 2nd-3rd round QB drafted if one of the top guys slides.

We can't afford a "good" veteran QB that would be any better than Sloter, etc.

14 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I'd rather just roll with Cousins/Sloter at this point; have another QB on the practice squad. Save the roster spot and cap space over having a veteran backup QB.

Depends on what Simien wants. If he can be had for cheap, I'd bring him back. Sloter has been with the team long enough where you'd hope he can make the jump to #2. 

I just hope the Vikes don't find themselves in the same situation as 2016 if Cousins blows out a knee in camp or something with no alternative. With everyone on the hot seat, they'd probably trade a high pick for a veteran QB and that was a disaster the last time MN tried that (Bradford).

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

If we don't offer Siemian anything I think it will speak volumes because wasn't Kubiak the HC when both Siemian and Sloter were in Denver?

He was the HC when Siemian started 14 games, but he was in the FO when Sloter was in camp for Denver. 

Randy Moss: “I would tell you this: If you are an elite player in the National Football League, then I think yes, this is the approach, this is a page you can take out of Antonio Brown’s book. Stay aggressive, be aggressive. If you’re a guy just trying to get a little contract, just to remain on the team, don’t you take Antonio Brown’s approach because you might find yourself at home. So this approach is not for everyone, but it’s an aggressive approach only for the elite.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/11/randy-moss-elite-players-can-get-paid-by-learning-from-antonio-brown/

It’s AN approach, but I can’t help but think that Brown probably cost himself even more money by the way he was acting. 

Had he taken a more professional approach, and simply voiced his wishes with the Steelers in private, instead of looking like a locker room cancer, more teams would have likely been pursuing him. Which would have likely led to a better contract. 

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

10 minutes into the legal tampering period, and we have our first contract announced. 

I’d certainly be making inquiries into the Raiders getting a head start. 

The whole thing is bogus. As soon as the season is over, teams should be able to talk to agents as much as they want.

Archived