Looking forward to next year (a case for Eli)

GMENNATION

The season will mercifully end today and the Giants will obviously go into the offseason with a ton of questions. Before you all jump down my throat, this isn't a post about how I think Eli Manning can win us a SB next year.  It's about taking a look at the possibilities and why keeping him one more year may be better for our sustained success.

1. The Giants are NOT drafting a QB in the 1st round, and they shouldn't! The value isn't there, they have too many other holes, I just don't see it happening. Edge rusher, safety, OL can all be options. It's not the typical Giants nature, but they'd be smart to trade back if there's no value and try to stockpile picks in next years draft so they have the ability to move up.

2. It doesn't make sense to cut Eli Manning. IMO, the only QB worth starting over Eli is Teddy Bridgewater and you're probably paying him a decent amount ($10+mil and at least 2 years) to come here. Eli's passing attempts have SIGNIFICANTLY declined in the 2nd half of the season, and that's a good thing. The offense runs through Saquon Barkley. 2019 is the last year on Eli's contract and the Giants are not going to resign him. Bringing in a journeyman QB and expecting him to do significantly more than what Eli can do just isn't realistic. 

3. The second argument for keeping Eli is while he creates a lot of cap flexibility, there aren't a ton of FA options out there worth using that cap on. We've seen the negatives to spending big on FA from a couple years ago. His cap should be used to retain our core. If you can get Landon Collins resigned this offseason without cutting Eli, than do it and the cap relief happens in 2020. Again, spending big on FA this offseason doesn't make much sense. 

4. Speaking of Landon Collins, let's go over some priority FAs. Collins tops the list, followed by Jamon Brown? Josh Mauro? Mario Edwards? They may be decent pieces but we shouldn't have to break the bank on any of our own guys this offseason. In 2020, you'll need to pay Sterling Shepard, a starting QB (likely a veteran stop-gap for whoever out QBOTF is at that point), BJ Goodson depending on his value at the time and Riley Dixon depending on his value at the time.

5. Back to our filling out our roster, the priorities to me are pass rush, RT and FS. We'll need an add'l RB but this should come very cheap as Saquon carries so much of the load and Gallman is a good backup. The WR corps could continue to be overhauled but at what investment? We barely use 3rd receivers. Sounds like a mid-round draft pick + more of Corey Coleman and Fowler types if you ask me. The OL will continue to be addressed. You have to assume they'll push to resign Jamon Brown and Jon Halapio is an ERFA so he'll be back. RT will be the focus. The pass rush has to get better. I think it's very likely we get an EDGE with our #1 pick. Interior lineman and somewhat set with young talent. ILBs are set for next season and it's not likely we'll spend big on CB. BW Webb or someone similar will fill out a group headlined by Jackrabbit once again and Sam Beal finally coming in. Haley will also have a spot. I don't see a scenario where they let Landon Collins go so this is about finding his partner. Michael Thomas had a nice season. I'd love an upgrade there but at the end of the day they can probably get by with him and taking a flier on a mid-round pick. 

It's frustrating to be in QB limbo but the fact is we're going to be there with or without Eli next season. It doesn't matter what FA we buy this offseason because they'll be cap casualty candidates by the time our QBOTF is on the field. Let's grin and bear it for one more year and hope Saquon can lead us to the playoffs. 

Really great write up. I enjoyed reading it. I agree were not gonna go qb in rd1. After Herbert announced hes heading back to Oregon i just dont see it. Plus the fact we need to grab linemen on both sides of the ball is just paramount. I think Eli is gonna be with us another 2 yrs the way things are shaping up.

4 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

t's frustrating to be in QB limbo but the fact is we're going to be there with or without Eli next season. It doesn't matter what FA we buy this offseason because they'll be cap casualty candidates by the time our QBOTF is on the field.

INCOMING!!! LOOK OUT!!!

Wild howl about to arrive from The Mellow One, shrieking for the Giants to reacquire GENO SMITH, his Soul-Mate, his One True Love, from the Chargers, 1-for-4 passing and 4 carries for 6 yards or whatever putrid stats Geno has amassed over this season. Stay tuned for a many-posts harrangue in favor of Geno, lauding him as though he were the Second Coming of Warren Moon.

"Geno..... Geno!!........GENO!!!!"

Image result for geno smith

If Haskins is there at 6 I think they should pull the trigger. I love his quick windup, has a big arm, accurate and would be nice to finally have a QB with escapability. He loves throwing off that shotgun draw PA and with Barkey back there would be super effective in this offense.  Cut Eli (Lord knows I love the man but it's time), draft Haskins, use the 17M is free cap to resign Collins and bring in another lineman.

5 minutes ago, bzane said:

INCOMING!!! LOOK OUT!!!

Wild howl about to arrive from The Mellow One, shrieking for the Giants to reacquire GENO SMITH, his Soul-Mate, his One True Love, from the Chargers, 1-for-4 passing and 4 carries for 6 yards or whatever putrid stats Geno has amassed over this season. Stay tuned for a many-posts harrangue in favor of Geno, lauding him as though he were the Second Coming of Warren Moon.

"Geno..... Geno!!........GENO!!!!"

Image result for geno smith

Bahahaha I love this 😂

Great writeup GMENNATION I really enjoyed it. I agree that that’s probably what the Giants are thinking. Unless Haskins is their guy they’ll probably ride out another year of Eli. 

Couldnt agree more that the lines on both sides are the priority. I’d like to see either Jonah Williams or the best edge rusher (I don’t know much about them yet beyond that Nick Bosa is the best), then at the top of round two take the position that you didn’t hit in the first. This year is deep with defensive linemen. Maybe we get lucky and get a first round value in round two kind of like we did with Will Hernandez? 🤔

They must find a decent starting safety. Absolutely must. But I feel like it’s easier to locate a decent safety in free agency than an OT or an edge player. Those guys get stupid expensive. 

I’d really like to see those 4th rounders spent on a Center and another DB.  

Maybe we need to fortify the roster again this season and then target the QBOTF in 2020. Who knows? 

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Bottom line is Eli is making way too much money for his production. We need to move on yesterday. 

The options are very limited right now. And if Haskins doesn’t come out then we have no other choice. The FA QBs options are thin too. Jamies? Teddy? Foles? 

We do everything we can to get Haskins and let him battle Eli in training camp. Eli will start the first 3 games until we throw Haskins in there to take over for the rest of the season.

If we can't get him, then sure, this is a super deep draft for DL and pass-rushers - which is also a huge need. 

14 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

The options are very limited right now. And if Haskins doesn’t come out then we have no other choice. The FA QBs options are thin too. Jamies? Teddy? Foles? 

This.  For everyone wanting to dump Eli...what do you replace him with?  The FA options are gross.

Draft someone 2-4, sign a veteran to a one or two year contract. Have them compete with Lauletta. We can save $17M cutting Eli.Every year we stall, we are hurting the team. We need to rebuild it. It’s completely broken.

McCarron, Bridgewater, Fitzpatrick, whoever. We can use the remaining $7M+ to fix this completely broken team. Trying to rebuild around Eli has failed. It’s time to take the jump.

3 minutes ago, GmenSeattle said:

Haskins or Eli is my take now that I've done some reading.  If Haskins is there, draft him, cut Eli.

We need to use Eli’s cap space to improve our team. Cutting Eli in May doesn’t help us and it’s unfair to Eli. At least give him the opportunity to have all his options to join a new team?

Gosh, maybe Tom "Old School" Coughlin is so fed up with the high-falutin' airs of young upstarts like Leonard Fournette and T.J. Yeldon that he will, in an access of nostalgia, trade for Eli to be the replacement for Blake Bortles! Need some of that ol'-time professionalism on the chaotic Jaguars, ya know? If I were Gettleman I'd ask for Jacksonville's first-round pick, hey, you never know?

"Now, what in the Sam Hill??"

Image result for Tom Coughlin

Of course, the Jaguars might bargain it down to where the Giants get Ereck Flowers back in return for Eli!

Image result for Ereck Flowers

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

Draft someone 2-4, sign a veteran to a one or two year contract. Have them compete with Lauletta. We can save $17M cutting Eli.Every year we stall, we are hurting the team. We need to rebuild it. It’s completely broken.

McCarron, Bridgewater, Fitzpatrick, whoever. We can use the remaining $7M+ to fix this completely broken team. Trying to rebuild around Eli has failed. It’s time to take the jump.

Unless it’s Teddy, you’d basically be signing off on next season. We’ve tried the “draft a young QB in rounds 2-4 and develop him”. And this is a weak draft for QBs.

i don’t think it’s near as simple as you make it seem

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Unless it’s Teddy, you’d basically be signing off on next season. We’ve tried the “draft a young QB in rounds 2-4 and develop him”. And this is a weak draft for QBs.

i don’t think it’s near as simple as you make it seem

We basically been signing off the past 5 seasons anyway. The NFL draft is a huge hit or miss. Finding a QB is a huge hit or miss. We need to take as many chances as we can until we find the one. Nearly a third of the starting QBs in this league were drafted past the first 15 picks. The Giants have gone no where. Use Eli’s cap to fix the roster and spend picks on a QB.

Archived