Looking forward to next year (a case for Eli)

GMENNATION

On 1/17/2019 at 11:33 AM, Giants4eva said:

That loss of that pick really hurt. I so wish we had a 3rd rounder. Im cool with a 1 and a 2 but no 3rd rd is pretty bad for all the holes we have. Its not easy to come away with quality after the 3rd. I hope theres some wheeling and dealing from Gettleman in this next draft. If Sam Beal flourishes fine im cool with no 3rd. But the fact hes coming off a surgery?... im not that optimistic.

We didnt lose a third round pick. We used it on a corner that would have gone in the first or second round had he been in this coming draft class. We also have 3 4th round picks, a couple fifths, and a couple 7ths. We have ammunition. 

Haskins is a good QB and would fit in here perfectly. I think the dilemma is that he may require a trade up. If you trade up to get him, you will most likely be left with your first pick after him being in the 4th round, which is not great for a rebuilding team.

I've thought about this and I think the most likely scenario is that Gettleman stays put at 6th. If Haskins falls into your lap, awesome, take him. If not, it means one of those fantastic defensive talents has fallen. Gettleman made it a point to mention specifically that the defense needs playmakers. Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, Clelin Ferrell, Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, hell even Devin White are fantastic defensive playmakers. Take your guy there. Then if the 2nd round comes and there isnt a QB you like there either, 2020 is your year. Trade the house for Tua or Herbert or Fromm or Fields. Unfortunately you cant afford to wait until 2021 for Lawrence, but those 2020 QBs are really good as well.

I think the Giants roll with Eli if they dont get their guy this year. 

On 17/01/2019 at 11:09 PM, Acgott said:

Come on now. Yes, a couple of bounces here or there and we can have been "average". We didn't get those bounces, and haven't for the past 5 years. 

But why strive for "average". If Eli is only producing a team that is max "average", its time for a change. In order to build a new tomorrow, we need to tear this one down.

Lets rip this band-aid off once and for all and move in a new direction. 

What do you mean we haven’t got those bounces in 5 years. Aside from last year where we won 3 games, we’ve been right around where the majority of the league is between 6-10 and 9-7. I’m not saying I’m content about because that’s the worst place to be. Around average. 

You keep ignoring what I’m saying. Nobody on here is saying to keep Eli because we feel he still a good QB. I am saying keep him for next year because he’s an expiring contract and thecoptions outside of him are notably worse and less viable. We can still start building a new tomorrow with him still on the roster. At the end of the day our tomorrow hinges on our drafting, not whether Eli stays one more year or not. 

12 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

What do you mean we haven’t got those bounces in 5 years. Aside from last year where we won 3 games, we’ve been right around where the majority of the league is between 6-10 and 9-7. I’m not saying I’m content about because that’s the worst place to be. Around average. 

You keep ignoring what I’m saying. Nobody on here is saying to keep Eli because we feel he still a good QB. I am saying keep him for next year because he’s an expiring contract and thecoptions outside of him are notably worse and less viable. We can still start building a new tomorrow with him still on the roster. At the end of the day our tomorrow hinges on our drafting, not whether Eli stays one more year or not. 

We have averaged 6 wins . If you want to call that average, then so be it. Getting rid of Eli this year accelerates getting us out of the average one way or another. His cap prevents moves.

Anything less than drafting a QB in the first round or bringing in a young veteran to replace Eli will ensure a 5 win seaason. The team won 1 more game in 2018 than 2017 with a roster at full health. 6 wins is Eli's limit at this point, and that's the team's ceiling without a new QB.

I said this 2 years ago and nothing has changed. You cannot win with Eli: a slow, inaccurate QB that sees shadows in the pocket. That's too much to overcome for a winning football team. Even in Madden, Eli is unusable. 

On 1/26/2019 at 1:53 PM, celestial said:

Anything less than drafting a QB in the first round or bringing in a young veteran to replace Eli will ensure a 5 win seaason. The team won 1 more game in 2018 than 2017 with a roster at full health. 6 wins is Eli's limit at this point, and that's the team's ceiling without a new QB.

I said this 2 years ago and nothing has changed. You cannot win with Eli: a slow, inaccurate QB that sees shadows in the pocket. That's too much to overcome for a winning football team. Even in Madden, Eli is unusable. 

He’s not in accurate though. Also it’s hard for him to not see shadows of D-Lineman standing on top of him seeing how our O-Line is one of, if not the worst in pass blocking efficiency.  Also we won two more games with relatively the same team, that should speak as much to the other 54 guys around Eli as it does Eli. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Buckle up, they're keeping Eli:

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/10458/eli-manning

ESPN's Dan Graziano confirms the Giants will pay Eli Manning's $5 million roster bonus on Friday.

"He's what we have at this point," a source told Graziano. Although the Giants could save $17 million in cap and $22 million in cash by cutting Eli, a mandate from ownership has secured Manning's place on the team. Per Graziano, the Giants are so serious about their Eli commitment they may not take a quarterback in the first round of the draft despite holding the Nos. 6 and 17 overall picks.

I think the past couple years could have a pretty negative impact on Eli's career as a whole. His overall regular season W/L record stands at 116-114 right now. Given that we'll probably be in the 4-12/5-11/6-10 range this year, Eli is going to have a losing record as a starting QB. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the Hall of Fame. 

I could also see Giants fans taking their frustrations with the franchise out on Eli. Especially when the Giants bypass a quarterback again in the draft (which is what I suspect they'll do)

Archived