Looking forward to next year (a case for Eli)

GMENNATION

9 hours ago, Acgott said:

We basically been signing off the past 5 seasons anyway. The NFL draft is a huge hit or miss. Finding a QB is a huge hit or miss. We need to take as many chances as we can until we find the one. Nearly a third of the starting QBs in this league were drafted past the first 15 picks. The Giants have gone no where. Use Eli’s cap to fix the roster and spend picks on a QB.

Starting QB=/= franchise QB. We don’t need to take as many chances as we can. What we need to do is get the one we feel is right. Two seasons ago we had all the cap room in the world and we benefited for literally one year. Since then, those FA signings have even been injured or underperformed. FA spending has never proven to be sustainable. So cutting Eli with no suitable replacement just to spend more in FA is not a great idea. 

13 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Starting QB=/= franchise QB. We don’t need to take as many chances as we can. What we need to do is get the one we feel is right. Two seasons ago we had all the cap room in the world and we benefited for literally one year. Since then, those FA signings have even been injured or underperformed. FA spending has never proven to be sustainable. So cutting Eli with no suitable replacement just to spend more in FA is not a great idea. 

Find one that is right in round 2-5. They do exist. Our current stategy has failed miserably. It’s time to make a change.

Our 2016 spendings (Jenkins, Vernon, Harrison) were all more positive than negative. Just because they didn’t turn into sustained success, I’m not calling them bad signings. But I’m not advocating major signings like that anyway. Use Eli’s $10M to get a nickel cornerback, or a rotational pass rusher. An average OL. Value signings that won’t break the bank.

We need to move on from Eli, but Haskins won't be available at 6. Our best bet is taking a DL or Jonah Williams at 6 then taking Grier in round 2. That would be ideal for me. Bosa wont be there at 6, but Quinnen Williams or Ed Oliver or Josh Allen could be, then it would be a no brainer. Lock and Jones will get over drafted. Grier should last to round 2. 

17 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

We need to move on from Eli, but Haskins won't be available at 6. Our best bet is taking a DL or Jonah Williams at 6 then taking Grier in round 2. That would be ideal for me. Bosa wont be there at 6, but Quinnen Williams or Ed Oliver or Josh Allen could be, then it would be a no brainer. Lock and Jones will get over drafted. Grier should last to round 2. 

Giants should use their extra 4th or 5th round pick to go back in to the 1st to get their man if that is who they are thinking of.

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Giants should use their extra 4th or 5th round pick to go back in to the 1st to get their man if that is who they are thinking of.

If they are sold on someone like Grier or Jones and they are available in the late 20s, definitely. But I think of those guys more as QB competition than "the" guy. We will most likely find "the" guy next year. Still gotta get someone this year as well, whether that is in the draft or free agency. I think Grier could be a good pro. Outside of Haskins, the QB that fits mostly with what Shurmur wants though is little Shurmur...

On 01/01/2019 at 7:51 PM, Acgott said:

Find one that is right in round 2-5. They do exist. Our current stategy has failed miserably. It’s time to make a change.

“Find one that is right in round 2-5”  - I am sure every team goes in with that approach and hope. That’s a fairly benign claim. In a weak QB draft, you should not be hoping to get your QBOFTF beyond the first round. There is very little precedent for that. Also trying to find the right one in 2-5 is what he have done since 2013. Nassib, Webb, Lauletta ... so how is that any different from what we’ve done? 

On 01/01/2019 at 7:51 PM, Acgott said:

Our 2016 spendings (Jenkins, Vernon, Harrison) were all more positive than negative. Just because they didn’t turn into sustained success, I’m not calling them bad signings. But I’m not advocating major signings like that anyway. Use Eli’s $10M to get a nickel cornerback, or a rotational pass rusher. An average OL. Value signings that won’t break the bank.

You don’t sign FA for them to help you just one year. They helped us out one year. Now in all fairness, injuries have set them back from more impact but if you pay them that money you better get more than one year of great play. Snacks was the only one that was consistently great. If we get can get a QB for a year that you feel will play at the level of Eli then I’d understand but otherwise. We gotta do with what we have. The Free Agent QB class is just as thin if not thinner than the draft class 

@Kip Smithers We need to take a chance a finding the QBOTF. If we don't we are in the same exact spot we been in for the past 5 years. That is no where. Those 3 QBs we drafted were from 3 different HCs and 3 different OCs. Eli isn't getting us over the hump. His cap can be used to help the team and we will still be in the exact same position.

I'm not saying we should spend the money on 3 pro bowlers. I want to sign solid role players to help the team.

Something needs to change. The plan hasn't been working.  

54 minutes ago, Acgott said:

@Kip Smithers We need to take a chance a finding the QBOTF. If we don't we are in the same exact spot we been in for the past 5 years. That is no where. Those 3 QBs we drafted were from 3 different HCs and 3 different OCs. Eli isn't getting us over the hump. His cap can be used to help the team and we will still be in the exact same position.

I'm not saying we should spend the money on 3 pro bowlers. I want to sign solid role players to help the team.

Something needs to change. The plan hasn't been working.  

We need to find our QBOFT, that goes without saying. We’re not gonna be stuck in no mans land because we didn’t go for a QB in rounds 2-5 in a weak draft. No use those picks to fill out roster and get depth. If this was a deep QB draft then yeah sure but this is a very weak one and banking your chances on finding the successor to Eli on this draft is just bad drafting. You say the plan isn’t working yet we only just got new management. So what exactly isn’t working? Gettleman could’ve did what you asked last year in a stronger draft and he didn’t. So why would he do it this year? 

8 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

We need to find our QBOFT, that goes without saying. We’re not gonna be stuck in no mans land because we didn’t go for a QB in rounds 2-5 in a weak draft. No use those picks to fill out roster and get depth. If this was a deep QB draft then yeah sure but this is a very weak one and banking your chances on finding the successor to Eli on this draft is just bad drafting. You say the plan isn’t working yet we only just got new management. So what exactly isn’t working? Gettleman could’ve did what you asked last year in a stronger draft and he didn’t. So why would he do it this year? 

We are stuck in no man's land already. Eli isn't working. He is not elevating the team the way he should. Gettleman miscalculated the roster, thinking we would be a playoff contender with Eli. We aren't so its time to rebuild. He also did draft a QB last year. If Eli is on the team in 2019 or not, what is your strategy for 2020? Draft a QB then? 

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

We are stuck in no man's land already. Eli isn't working. He is not elevating the team the way he should. Gettleman miscalculated the roster, thinking we would be a playoff contender with Eli. We aren't so its time to rebuild. He also did draft a QB last year. If Eli is on the team in 2019 or not, what is your strategy for 2020? Draft a QB then? 

This is less to do with Eli than with what are options are outside of Eli. I know what Eli is. Yeah it’s time to rebuild and drafting a QB just because we need one is silly. Unless you are confident that person can be your next Franchise QB then what’s the point?

Yes wait for 2020 when there are more options or trade up to get Haskins if your adamant.

14 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

This is less to do with Eli than with what are options are outside of Eli. I know what Eli is. Yeah it’s time to rebuild and drafting a QB just because we need one is silly. Unless you are confident that person can be your next Franchise QB then what’s the point?

Yes wait for 2020 when there are more options or trade up to get Haskins if your adamant.

The point is we can use Eli’s massive cap to help other parts of the team.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:30 PM, Kip Smithers said:

I agree with this, and it seems to be Gettleman's MO as well.

I hope, and I trust, that Gettleman will have the restraint not to sell the farm for an overpriced, veteran QB, an idea I have seen broached by hysterical sportswriters desperate to have the Giants make the playoffs next year. I would rather they draft judiciously, that is to say, if there is not a realistic starting quarterback available in the 2019 draft, I would prefer they sign a cost-effective bridge QB and wait until the 2020 draft, supposedly blessed with better prospects, if they're going to spend a first-round pick.

A New York writer- Steve Serby, I think?- was promoting the idea that the Giants should trade for Nick Foles, who's going to cost some stupid team enough to buy Saudi Arabia, oil fields and all. I imagine The Mellow One, reading this as doubtless he is, let out a scream of joy at the suggestion that Nick Foles, The Expected One!, might become a Giant. Were it up to that particular fan, New York would trade Saquon Barkley and their next seven first-round picks in return for the Glory that is Nick Foles.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/06/eagles-hero-has-become-perfect-candidate-to-replace-eli-manning/

Image result for Nick Foles

I am hoping that Dave Gettleman will show greater patience and forbearance than that.

"Oh, my God!!!!"

Image result for Emilia Clarke Game of Thrones

Archived