Looking forward to next year (a case for Eli)

GMENNATION

10 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

People looked at the numbers right?  1st in points scored in the NFC east this year, Eli was really pretty solid.  The defense was the glaring problem.

Eli is a major part of the problem. What a weird way to defend him. Our team is a disaster on both sides of the ball.

On 11/01/2019 at 4:20 PM, Acgott said:

Eli is a major part of the problem. What a weird way to defend him. Our team is a disaster on both sides of the ball.

A disaster on both sides of the ball? The offense looked real good in the 2nd half, that’s far from a disaster. You can say it looked good but still concede we need to move on from Eli which is something you can’t even admit. He pretty solid in the second half of the year. That’s not defending him, that’s fact .

5 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

A disaster on both sides of the ball? The offense looked real good in the 2nd half, that’s far from a disaster. You can say it looked good but still concede we need to move on from Eli which is something you can’t even admit. He pretty solid in the second half of the year. That’s not defending him, that’s fact .

Yes. When your team finishes 5-11, there’s disasters in lots of area. We should be so much better on offense than solid.

19 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Yes. When your team finishes 5-11, there’s disasters in lots of area. We should be so much better on offense than solid.

I said Eli was solid. The offense as a whole looked pretty darn good in the second half of the year and without its best player for the last 4 games. Look at the numbers in after the bye and tell me that’s a disaster? That’s a positive and it should only get better which is very encouraging. Defense is a disaster though. Me complimenting the offense is not me saying we shouldn’t seek improvement. I mean the year we went 11-5 to reach playoffs were we not a disaster even though our offense was pathetic and our defense was great? 

29 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I said Eli was solid. The offense as a whole looked pretty darn good in the second half of the year and without its best player for the last 4 games. Look at the numbers in after the bye and tell me that’s a disaster? That’s a positive and it should only get better which is very encouraging. Defense is a disaster though. Me complimenting the offense is not me saying we shouldn’t seek improvement. I mean the year we went 11-5 to reach playoffs were we not a disaster even though our offense was pathetic and our defense was great? 

Do you trust Eli as our quarterback for next season?

47 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

You should go after Teddy.  Then I'd have two reasons to cheer for the Giants - Kate Mara and Teddy Bridgewater.   :)

I think that’s a legitimate possiblity. He would be much cheaper than Eli.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

And much better at this point.

Please, Teddy didn’t set the world on fire in his game back. The bottom line is the Giants roster is terrible, and Eli isn’t pushing them over the top. Use his cap space to help fix the team. Worst case scenario we are in the same place. Best case, we actually improve the team.

Defenses don't win championships anymore- look at the 4 remaining teams. They are the top 4 scoring offenses in the league. More importantly, look at their OLs. There are the 3 best OL in the NFL this year and the Chiefs, who are pretty damn good as well. The defense overall needs a ton of help, but if Gettleman decides the best course of action based on who is realistically available in the draft and FA is to stay with Eli but solidify the OL, I'm ok with that.

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

It’s the point of the thread. We need to improve the whole team including the offense. Get a cheaper QB. Use his money to improve.

I think this is easier said than done. I know Foles will command more than Eli is making this year. I think Bridgewater might end up being close to that as well. Flacco is going to get a lot of money as well, and I wouldn't want him anyway. I think our only options if we want to move on from Eli efficiently (little to no drop off in talent while saving money) is either drafting someone in the first or 2nd round or signing Case Keenum, assuming he is done in DEN.

EDIT: I still think we should sign Luis Perez from the AAF and trade for Kyle Sloter from MIN. Let Shurmur work his magic with 2 incredibly talented, young, but inexperienced QBs. Keep Eli on the roster as a veteran presence until one stands out.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I think this is easier said than done. I know Foles will command more than Eli is making this year. I think Bridgewater might end up being close to that as well. Flacco is going to get a lot of money as well, and I wouldn't want him anyway. I think our only options if we want to move on from Eli efficiently (little to no drop off in talent while saving money) is either drafting someone in the first or 2nd round or signing Case Keenum, assuming he is done in DEN.

EDIT: I still think we should sign Luis Perez from the AAF and trade for Kyle Sloter from MIN. Let Shurmur work his magic with 2 incredibly talented, young, but inexperienced QBs. Keep Eli on the roster as a veteran presence until one stands out.

Eli has a cap number of 23M. 10th highest in the NFL for a QB. Cutting him gives us 17M with 6M dead cap. A fair amount, but sadly Eli's play hasn't elevated our team. We been garbage for 5 years excluding one. There is no way Teddy should make that much money, but QBs do crazy things. We must use his space to fix the team. Draft a QB somewhere, sign a cheap veteran and play for 2020. It can't be any worse.

Archived