Looking forward to next year (a case for Eli)

GMENNATION

6 hours ago, Acgott said:

It’s the point of the thread. We need to improve the whole team including the offense. Get a cheaper QB. Use his money to improve.

It is the point of the thread but it’s not the point of where I was getting at but I digress.

it easy to get a cheaper QB. But the QB options are dire and contrary to what you think there aren’t any options better than Eli. The options are very dire. How do you get replacement that will be better or as comparable whilst at the same time improving your roster. You make it seem easy. 

45 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

It is the point of the thread but it’s not the point of where I was getting at but I digress.

it easy to get a cheaper QB. But the QB options are dire and contrary to what you think there aren’t any options better than Eli. The options are very dire. How do you get replacement that will be better or as comparable whilst at the same time improving your roster. You make it seem easy. 

We have to throw the dart into the wild. It just isn't working anymore. We need to take a chance and draft a QB somewhere. Sign someone cheap and have them compete with the rookie and Lauletta. It cannot get any worst. 

11 minutes ago, Acgott said:

We have to throw the dart into the wild. It just isn't working anymore. We need to take a chance and draft a QB somewhere. Sign someone cheap and have them compete with the rookie and Lauletta. It cannot get any worst. 

It can't get any worse than Eli?  Really?  REALLY...?

54 minutes ago, Acgott said:

No, too much money and not a lot of upside 

It is mainly the money angle. We won't match what some of these other teams will throw at him.

I think we are hitting a lull right now regarding Eli news, but I expect come March that we get some pretty definitive clarification if he is starting or going. And I truly believe it will be one of those two- Eli doesn't want to sit on the bench. He wants to play. I'm not even sure he would take well to an open competition. Gettleman is going to watch the tape of Eli, evaluate the FAs, evaluate the draft eligible guys, and make a decision. I think around that time, early March, is when you could expect a trade up as well, if we decide to do so for Haskins.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:24 AM, Uncle Buck said:

You should go after Teddy.  Then I'd have two reasons to cheer for the Giants - Kate Mara and Teddy Bridgewater.   :)

Ah-HA! Now I understand what Kate Mara meant in that interview, when she was asked why did she root for the Vikings as much as she does for the Giants (!). She wouldn't give a name, but she said something to the effect that there was a very Special Man who had won her over with his love. Thought she meant Stefon Diggs or some other player; she said, "Let's just call him my 'Uncle'! "

It was you all along, @Uncle Buck!!!!

Related image

Personally I'm leaning towards keeping Eli for another year, perhaps drafting someone this draft, have him learn from Eli, have it be a low pressure situation for him, and then continue to build/move on from Eli next offseason.  I think we're going to be hard pressed to sign a guy for a reasonable amount as they're likely going to be the backup QB "of the future" rather than the QB of the future.  

On 14/01/2019 at 11:16 PM, Acgott said:

It can get worse. It absolutely can. And like others said you’re not gonna find some cheap back up that is going play at the level of Eli. It’s Haskins or bust. You think that once we cut Eli that the replacement is gonna be free and play at a competent level? 

47 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

It can get worse. It absolutely can. And like others said you’re not gonna find some cheap back up that is going play at the level of Eli. It’s Haskins or bust. You think that once we cut Eli that the replacement is gonna be free and play at a competent level? 

6,6,11,3,5 have been our wins the past 5 seasons. An average of 6 wins/season. We are at the bottom of the NFL with no hope. 

No, I don't think Eli's replacement will be competent, but we need to take the chance. It flat out hasn't worked out. Use his $10M and we can do a lot of good with that fixing the roster. Worst case scenario, we have a top 5 pick and can pick a QB as we should have done this past season.  

8 hours ago, Acgott said:

6,6,11,3,5 have been our wins the past 5 seasons. An average of 6 wins/season. We are at the bottom of the NFL with no hope. 

No, I don't think Eli's replacement will be competent, but we need to take the chance. It flat out hasn't worked out. Use his $10M and we can do a lot of good with that fixing the roster. Worst case scenario, we have a top 5 pick and can pick a QB as we should have done this past season.  

If you don’t think Eli’s replacement will be competent then what’s the point? Then we don’t need to take the chance. That’s a waste. Eli in the second half the year was at the very least competent, then why the heck should we go for somebody who isn’t? 

That’s not the bottom of the league at all. People need to realise this about the NFL, the majority of teams range from 6–9 wins. We’re in that part. The margins are so small. We’re not at the bottom at all. 

Barkley was the right pick. We have the chance to get Barkley one year and Haskins a year later.

13 hours ago, bzane said:

Ah-HA! Now I understand what Kate Mara meant in that interview, when she was asked why did she root for the Vikings as much as she does for the Giants (!). She wouldn't give a name, but she said something to the effect that there was a very Special Man who had won her over with his love. Thought she meant Stefon Diggs or some other player; she said, "Let's just call him my 'Uncle'! "

It was you all along, @Uncle Buck!!!!

Related image

My only response to this is to quote the great Tommy Callaghan:  "Hoooooooooooly Schnikees!!"

6 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

If you don’t think Eli’s replacement will be competent then what’s the point? Then we don’t need to take the chance. That’s a waste. Eli in the second half the year was at the very least competent, then why the heck should we go for somebody who isn’t? 

That’s not the bottom of the league at all. People need to realise this about the NFL, the majority of teams range from 6–9 wins. We’re in that part. The margins are so small. We’re not at the bottom at all. 

Barkley was the right pick. We have the chance to get Barkley one year and Haskins a year later.

What’s the point? To try something new because our current path hasn’t been working. Maybe we get lucky. Who knows. All we know is our current method has 100% failed.

But we aren’t going to convince each other lol.

Archived