Joker

Mox

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jo...ps-1202536083/

the-joker.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

The Joker may be getting his own origin tale.

Sources tell Variety that “War Dogs” and “The Hangover” director Todd Phillips is in talks to co-write and direct an untitled movie centered on the origins of the most iconic Batman villain, the Joker.

Martin Scorsese is in talks to have some sort of role on the film, but it’s currently unknown what that role would be.

This yet-to-be announced new banner under DC Comics would give the studio the opportunity to expand the canon with unique story angles that aren’t included in its current cinematic universe.

Scott Silver will join Phillips as a co-writer on the film, which will delve into what it took for the Joker to become to be a mastermind criminal. Sources say the story will take place in the ’80s and have more of the look of a gritty crime drama than comic book movie, which had a lot to do with getting Scorsese’s commitment to the project.

Jared Leto most recently played the Clown Prince of Crime in “Suicide Squad” and is likely to reprise that role in “Suicide Squad 2,” but will not be featured in this film, as Phillips will look to cast someone else.

Best known for his comedies like “The Hangover” franchise, Phillips has been trying to jump into new genres for years. He previously eyed “The Gambler” remake at Paramount that Rupert Wyatt ended up directing. His production company Joint Effort that he co-founded with Bradley Cooper was also intended for him to dip his feet into more genre fair.

He is repped by CAA. Scorsese is repped by WME and LBI Entertainment. The news was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.

Edited by Bullet Club

Theory...

This IS a part of the DCEU, the Joker IS getting rebooted, Batman IS getting rebooted and it's all going to be done through The Flash: FlashPoint. 

They're disgusing it right now as not connected, but it will be. 

That will keep people interested in Justice League and Suicide Squad 2. 

Otherwise, DCEU is beyond saving because this is a horrible idea. 

I really don't want to know Joker's origin story...he's more creepy as a raving psychotic without reason (or at least not one that I know of). His violent, whimsical, psychotic behavior without cause is what makes him one of the greatest villains. 

Really hope this doesnt happen.     

Part of the reason the Joker is so great is you usually dont know what his background is. Sure, there are a few that fleshed out his background up to the point where he first ran into Batman, but we dont need a whole film for it.

And whats up with some of these films supposedly not connecting to the DCEU?   FIrst Shazam....now Joker???   I know this is still all very much in the air....but it makes no sense.    If you are going to keep going with the DCEU, the movies should all connect in some way.

• Like 1

I see a whole lot of over reaction here. Yes this could be disastrous if they go the way some of you are already assuming they will (laying out his entire history) but I think many of you may be taking "Origin story" way too literally.

I would think his origins in Gotham would be a really cool story to see. What if they do a full fleshing out of the Red Hood Gang story from the Killing Joke? or what if its a film that gives us multiple possible origins for him, especially since we have gotten plenty of them through the comic/TV/films

I would for sure take a Scorsese inspired Joker Year One. This could also be the backdoor correction to the Leto Joker, because as much as you want to trash him, there was plenty of good stuff in there, just also alot of bad that didnt make any sense. I have said it before, what if all the excessive snarling and nonsensical (for the Joker) antics were a result of him loosing his grip because he lost Harley? If we get a flashback film and we see him as a gangster, taking on the mob himself, while also fending off the Batman, that could be something that resets how we see this Joker.

My point is, if done right, this could be a great film, and Leto's Joker is still a salvageable character.

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

I have said it before, what if all the excessive snarling and nonsensical (for the Joker) antics were a result of him loosing his grip because he lost Harley?

He didn't get the emo "damaged" tattoo before he lost Harley, and he still acted the same type of emo cocky attitude and attire when he was with Harley.  Theory doesn't hold up.

Only explanations:

1. WB is completely hopeless and has gone the route of Sony in horrible, horrible, horrible producers out of touch with reality and their audience or any audience.
2. They're planning on the soft FlashPoint reboot, and this is a way to introduce the new Joker, but also keep the soft reboot under wraps so as not to lose interest in Justice League and Suicide Squad 2. 

Any other explanation for having a solo, unconnected Joker movie just doesn't add up. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He didn't get the emo "damaged" tattoo before he lost Harley, and he still acted the same type of emo cocky attitude and attire when he was with Harley.  Theory doesn't hold up.

Only explanations:

1. WB is completely hopeless and has gone the route of Sony in horrible, horrible, horrible producers out of touch with reality and their audience or any audience.
2. They're planning on the soft FlashPoint reboot, and this is a way to introduce the new Joker, but also keep the soft reboot under wraps so as not to lose interest in Justice League and Suicide Squad 2. 

Any other explanation for having a solo, unconnected Joker movie just doesn't add up. 

The obsession of him being "emo" is a little ridiculous to me. By definition the Joker is an Insane person, he can have whatever attitude he wants at whatever point in time. And it can change (for better or for worse) whenever they need it to. Who cares about the damaged tattoo, just get rid of it, never acknowledge it, and move on. It is not an essential plot point for anything that we know about at this point (unlike Ledgers Scars) so just move on. We have exactly 3 scenes from prior to losing Harley. The one where he is creating her, Which are perfectly fine. The chase that gives us almost nothing about the Joker, and the nightclub scene with The Tattooed Man, which I agree is weird and doesnt make alot of sense, but again youre letting yourself be hung up on one little thing that can be explained away (i.e. he just got out of Arkham presumably, and is a bit different)

Just like Black Adam and Shazam were going to be separate at one point, I doubt this is unconnected if it ever actually gets made. (which we are a LONG way from) And yes this could very well be a result of a Flashpoint event, but until we know they are completely rebooting, everything feeds into this current DCEU for me. Because when it comes down to it, thats how it makes sense business/money wise, which will always be the deciding factor.

If a character is insane, things happening to him aren't going to make him more or less insane, so you saying these extenuating circumstances explains why he did these things is a bad excuse when you keep saying he's insane. 

Suicide Squad was a BAD MOVIE.  Like it all you want, enjoy it all you want, there's nothing wrong with that.  It won't change the fact that it was a very bad movie that did more damage than good to its characters. 

I'm not going to discuss it anymore with you because you clearly want Suicide Squad and BvS to remain in the continuity.  I don't.  It makes no sense to me to hold onto BAD movies when you have an EASY out and a way to re-cast Joker, Luthor, Batman and more, especially when Affleck is constantly sending mixed signals through reports and his own damn brother. 

No offense, but I don't like nor do I agree with any of your rationalization behind how easy it is to fix The Joker.  There is no easy way to fix that character riddled with angst-ridden tattoos and a high school level personality of "I'm so edgy."  The only way to fix the character is to completely erase Suicide Squad as part of the continuity.  Otherwise, all the crap behavior, dialogue and tattoos and personality and attire and actions must be canon, and if they're canon, nothing makes sense going forward and he always will be a poor rendition of an iconic character.