Joker

Mox

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I think they need to do a Nolan and take a chance with an actor's vision of the Joker. Something daring that most of us aren't used to seeing. Ledgers Joker was more psychotic with a nervous twitch then he was a jokester/prankster with weird gadgets like previous ones so he was basically new to the mass audience perspective. We probably need to see something and take it as that then trying to recreate an old version or just trying to redo Ledgers role.

I disagree entirely because we had Ledger's performance.  Ledger broke the mold, and instead of following his lead or going back to the mold, the DCEU tried breaking the mold again and we ended up with an emo "edgy" high school kid who thinks he's super duper cool because he got his first tattoo at 17 and he bought something at Hot Topic.  All I could think about when watching Suicide Squad was that The Joker was this guy a few years later:

The more I've read, and the more I think about it, I think the most logical explanation is that the DCEU just has a really leaky source to the media in Hollywood.

I say this because the more and more we hear, the more these seem like things that were just thrown around in pitch meetings. "Lets do a Joker/Harely love story", "lets make him the focal point of Suicide Squad 2", "Hey that one time, Scorsese said the joker would make a good character in a mob movie, lets get him to help out. We'll we couldnt do that wtih Leto's Joker. Ok just make it outside the universe. Yea lets get Leo to be the Joker, he loves working with Marty!"

None of what we have heard through sources recently are ever fully developed plans, or ever seem to materialize into anything. Now having someone in there who keeps spilling everything is a problem, but a very different one than if they were actually thinking these are solid plans.

Again, just a theory of mine. They could be that much off the rails, but someone feeding the nuggets of ideas and passing them off as plans seems more rational to me.

• 5 months later...

The people at WB just dont get it.

I mean, I dont even hate the current DCEU as much as some, but there are some very obvious flaws, and instead of focusing on fixing that, they are trying to pile on a bunch of side projects before fixing those problems.     I mean, Shazam?  Really?    A Shazam movie is pretty much the equivalent of a Marvel Ant-Man or Black Panther movie insomuch as its a movie that you should do AFTER you have a well established and beloved universe, and fans trust your movies enough to take a chance on a character that isnt extremely well known to casual fans.

In terms of this movie....why?  First off,  as stated, why does Joker need and origin movie?   A big part of his intrigue is people not really knowing his backstory.    Secondly, why the hell make it totally separate from the current DCEU?   All they are going to do is confuse casual fans who may not be sure how everything connects.     Third.....how about focus on fixing the terrible Joker you introduced in Suicide Squad?    

Nothing about their approach makes any sense.   They are sitting on a cash cow and instead if milking it, they are just tipping it over, again and again.   

Im pretty much about ready to give up on DC live action movies.   Not that I wont watch any of the movies in the future.....just that Im not going to actively look forward to them anymore.   I just dont have any faith in the people calling the shots.     They dont know the characters, they dont love the source material and they dont care what fans want.   I thought that might change....but it seems like its too much to hope for.