Joker

Mox

This movie gets better with each viewing; you catch new little things each time.

Compare the 0:37 to the 0:51 mark of this scene. Arthur went from giving Murray this creepy and sinister grin to looking completely crushed. This and the scene where Arthur started talking to himself and accidentally shot a hole in the wall leads me to believe that he struggled with a split personality (Joker being his evil side) and hesn himself deep down doesn't want to harm anyone, even a total prick like Murray. All Arthur ever wanted was to be loved and accepted, which he unfortunately only got from the rioters when he became 100% Joker during the Blood Smile scene. The only people who didn't reject him were Sophie and Gary (the latter being the only one who talked to Arthur as a friend).

Edited by Elky
  • Like 3

Decent movie for me. I think people are overrating it a little bit. 

Phoenix was definitely good. And in a different way from Ledger's. Which is ultimately a good thing given how Ledger set the bar.

I have to say, are all people from Gotham, regardless of what parallel movie universe, nothing but idiots and morons? Seems like that never changes.

I still can't tell if he killed his GF or not. If he did, and he let Gary go, what's the line in thinking for that?

The ending almost pretty much indicated a sequel into another Batman. Did they just do that for the easter egg sh!ts and giggles? I don't feel it was necessary given this was supposed to a standalone film focusing as a psychological thriller.

4 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

I have to say, are all people from Gotham, regardless of what parallel movie universe, nothing but idiots and morons? Seems like that never changes.

have you ever lived in a city before?

4 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

I still can't tell if he killed his GF or not. If he did, and he let Gary go, what's the line in thinking for that?

The GF is supposed to cement him as an unreliable narrator. 

14 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

have you ever lived in a city before?

The GF is supposed to cement him as an unreliable narrator. 

Arthur didn't kill Sophie. Phillips confirmed it. Plus, if you closely watch the scene where it's revealed his relationship with her was all in his head, when he leaves her apartment, the door shuts but he himself didn't shut it. Plus, Arthur only killed people that wronged him; Sophie and Gary were the only people that didn't treat him like crap.

As for the unreliable narrator bit, I think the only things that were delusions were him hugging Murray at the beginning and his relationship with Sophie. To say the whole movie was his imagination is to say he imagined imagining dating Sophie. Everything else actually happened.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1