I was curious if there was a breakdown of salary cap by position juxtaposed with a team's success?

cconocool

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 3:40 PM, vike daddy said:

@Outpost31 is pretty good at this kind of stat digging.

I haven't really dug into this too much, but one thing I know is if you pay your QB too much, chances are you're not winning a Super Bowl.  The only connection I really made was that teams who spend too much on their QB do not win Super Bowls.

The highest cap percentage paid to a QB for any team to EVER win the Super Bowl has been 13%, and that was Steve Young with the Niners when the Niners literally cheated the salary cap and were penalized for having done so. 

It's no wonder that the six highest-paid quarterbacks missed the playoffs completely this year. 

Tom Brady often gets credit for being the GOAT, but he's consistently getting paid less than 12% of the cap, allowing the Patriots to fill their roster with the role players who always do what it takes to win playoff games. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I haven't really dug into this too much, but one thing I know is if you pay your QB too much, chances are you're not winning a Super Bowl.  The only connection I really made was that teams who spend too much on their QB do not win Super Bowls.

The highest cap percentage paid to a QB for any team to EVER win the Super Bowl has been 13%, and that was Steve Young with the Niners when the Niners literally cheated the salary cap and were penalized for having done so. 

It's no wonder that the six highest-paid quarterbacks missed the playoffs completely this year. 

Tom Brady often gets credit for being the GOAT, but he's consistently getting paid less than 12% of the cap, allowing the Patriots to fill their roster with the role players who always do what it takes to win playoff games. 

I guess the Vikings front office has to learn this lesson for themselves.

14 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

They haven't historically paid that much to their QB and didn't win the Super Bowl either.  I still won't use Tom Brady as an indicator of anything.  If anything, he's beyond the 2 standard deviations from the mean.  He's an outlier.  

Just now, Virginia Viking said:

It's a lesson the NFL really hasn't learned.  Packers did it with Rodgers, Lions did it, Saints did it, Niners did it, Falcons did it, Raiders did it...

It just drives me crazy this notion that quarterbacks win Super Bowls. 

I said vehemently during the Vikings whole Kirk Cousins thing that the Vikings had a better shot at winning a Super Bowl by re-signing Keenum on a super cheap (what he got from Broncos) deal for a QB and continuing to build that defense and surround him with pieces through free agency and the money saved by signing him instead of Cousins and I was laughed at, in the Packer forum I was extremely vocal about how the Packers should wait until Aaron's current deal ends, or at least one more year (they had him signed for two more years), and I was ignored.  I suggested trading Rodgers, I was laughed at. 

The Packers right now would have been better off going forward had they traded Rodgers for what would have been Baker Mayfield, Bradley Chubb and the Brown's first round pick this year (plus more probably). 

The way to win Super Bowls is not to have the best quarterback.  The way to win Super Bowls is:

Defense
Draft capital
Healthy cap

Of course you can't win a Super Bowl with a BAD quarterback, but when quarterbacks like Foles, Dilfer, Johnson, Rypien, Flacco, second year Roethlisberger, second year Wilson, rookie contract Rodgers, first year starting Brady, Eli Manning, Eli Manning, etc are winning Super Bowls at a rate greater than that of Brees/Peyton...

57 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It's a lesson the NFL really hasn't learned.  Packers did it with Rodgers, Lions did it, Saints did it, Niners did it, Falcons did it, Raiders did it...

It just drives me crazy this notion that quarterbacks win Super Bowls. 

I said vehemently during the Vikings whole Kirk Cousins thing that the Vikings had a better shot at winning a Super Bowl by re-signing Keenum on a super cheap (what he got from Broncos) deal for a QB and continuing to build that defense and surround him with pieces through free agency and the money saved by signing him instead of Cousins and I was laughed at, in the Packer forum I was extremely vocal about how the Packers should wait until Aaron's current deal ends, or at least one more year (they had him signed for two more years), and I was ignored.  I suggested trading Rodgers, I was laughed at. 

The Packers right now would have been better off going forward had they traded Rodgers for what would have been Baker Mayfield, Bradley Chubb and the Brown's first round pick this year (plus more probably). 

The way to win Super Bowls is not to have the best quarterback.  The way to win Super Bowls is:

Defense
Draft capital
Healthy cap

Of course you can't win a Super Bowl with a BAD quarterback, but when quarterbacks like Foles, Dilfer, Johnson, Rypien, Flacco, second year Roethlisberger, second year Wilson, rookie contract Rodgers, first year starting Brady, Eli Manning, Eli Manning, etc are winning Super Bowls at a rate greater than that of Brees/Peyton...

I agree with you that winning the super bowl does not depend on having an expensive quarterback.  I also agree with you that Keenum would have been a better signing then Cousins...but, Kirk has two years left to prove me wrong...and I would LOVE to be wrong.

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I agree with you that winning the super bowl does not depend on having an expensive quarterback.  I also agree with you that Keenum would have been a better signing then Cousins...but, Kirk has two years left to prove me wrong...and I would LOVE to be wrong.

I hope he proves me wrong too. Not optimistic about that. 

Archived