Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Would it be far fetched to say Mayock has had more impact on this team than Gruden?

Not at all. Though Gruden has gotten his play calling and scheme together since last year. And has certainly effectively coaches up rookies in a way I've never seen on Oakland before. I really think they both have a big hand in it. 

22 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Would it be far fetched to say Mayock has had more impact on this team than Gruden?

Gruden being on this team is a large part of what got Mayock to sign on. 
So if you think about it, Grudens impact is everyting he has done + what mayock has done lol.

the talent Mayock added though was insane, plus how mayock handled the whole AB situation, mayock has to be in running for gm of the year. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, holyghost said:

Not at all. Though Gruden has gotten his play calling and scheme together since last year. And has certainly effectively coaches up rookies in a way I've never seen on Oakland before. I really think they both have a big hand in it. 

From what I remember one of Gruden's biggest knocks was his lack of ability or willingness to coach up rookies.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Gruden being on this team is a large part of what got Mayock to sign on. 
So if you think about it, Grudens impact is everyting he has done + what mayock has done lol.

the talent Mayock added though was insane, plus how mayock handled the whole AB situation, mayock has to be in running for gm of the year. 

I think if we can get to thee playoffs they are both in the running for some awards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I think it's balanced. Mayock on the talent acquisition and Gruden coaching them up. Hopefully Gruden can keep his ego out it long term. Marriage is thus far a pleasant surprise. 

A vet team quit on Gruden last year and the young guys got time and knocked us out of the 1st overall pick.

Mayock is a great GM because he understands his job is to assemble the talent for the coach. They have a good relationship and respect for each other so it's working great. From the outside it looked like TV personalities needing to go back to TV. Now we might see DJ get a GM job in a few years with this working. LOL Maybe even Mel??!!?? I kid, I kid...

• Like 1

Mayock deserves plenty of credit for his talent evaluation.

With that said, this is Gruden's team and plan.  Those who were blaming him for last year, have to give him full credit now.  

This situation works because you have a GM buying the groceries that the Coach wants. The Coach has final say, but the GM is really good at finding the best groceries.

Mayock should now bring even more cachet to the table when they argue over players.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, G said:

A vet team quit on Gruden last year and the young guys got time and knocked us out of the 1st overall pick.

Mayock is a great GM because he understands his job is to assemble the talent for the coach. They have a good relationship and respect for each other so it's working great. From the outside it looked like TV personalities needing to go back to TV. Now we might see DJ get a GM job in a few years with this working. LOL Maybe even Mel??!!?? I kid, I kid...

A il defend my guy Mel thought this team would compete for the division and everybody on the set laughed at him iirc also he was high on Mad Max fwiw 

31 minutes ago, true2form said:

Mayock deserves plenty of credit for his talent evaluation.

With that said, this is Gruden's team and plan.  Those who were blaming him for last year, have to give him full credit now.  

This situation works because you have a GM buying the groceries that the Coach wants. The Coach has final say, but the GM is really good at finding the best groceries.

Mayock should now bring even more cachet to the table when they argue over players.

Do not underestimate the importance of an active GM that is a football junkie.  Him and Gruden probably work 14 hr days and then go home and talk football to their wives.  Their wives probably know more about football than we do after listening to those two for decades.

25 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Do not underestimate the importance of an active GM that is a football junkie.  Him and Gruden probably work 14 hr days and then go home and talk football to their wives.  Their wives probably know more about football than we do after listening to those two for decades.

He's still a rookie GM.  Like I said, he gets all the credit in the world for what he does best, talent evaluating.  

I will always give Gruden more credit than him overall because I know he is the one building this team and has final say.

23 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

From what I remember one of Gruden's biggest knocks was his lack of ability or willingness to coach up rookies.

I know. Which is why it's a surprise. But here we are.. With what could be the best overall class we've ever seen as fans. I've been waiting a long long time to see rookies contribute immediately to this team. And endured years of waiting 3-4 years for them to have one good year then leave or get paid and suck again. All the while those 3-4 years waiting are losing years because they're on the field all that time but not performing. 

40 minutes ago, holyghost said:

I know. Which is why it's a surprise. But here we are.. With what could be the best overall class we've ever seen as fans. I've been waiting a long long time to see rookies contribute immediately to this team. And endured years of waiting 3-4 years for them to have one good year then leave or get paid and suck again. All the while those 3-4 years waiting are losing years because they're on the field all that time but not performing. 

This is why I am giving Mayock more credit then some others.  If we did not hit on the rookies we would be picking top ten again if not top five.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, true2form said:

He's still a rookie GM.  Like I said, he gets all the credit in the world for what he does best, talent evaluating.  

I will always give Gruden more credit than him overall because I know he is the one building this team and has final say.

I'll give Gruden credit for changing what didn't work for him last year. He is 100% in charge, final say so and100% responsible. What I didn't like last year and what lost my respect was him acting like everything wasn't through him. Even this year with AB. Nothing but love but Mayock 'all in or out' before it hit the fan got my respect. That is Mayock's job, to be the bad guy so Jon can always be behind the players until they're not with us. Jon is earning my respect back but still I'm not knocking on wood. Glad the players are and they've got eachother back.

The ONE great thing about AB is it set aside some cap that we've used to add players here and there all season to cover injuries. That is LUCK and cutting ties before that wasn't a possibility. I'll give Gruden credit for allowing that to happen as I'm sure he was drooling to focus plays on AB but the funny thing is that would have forced Carr to feed AB and not spread the ball around. AB would mean less Jacobs as he'd whine the RB gets too many carries or attention. Also frees up money to get a good player next season and add a young WR in the draft. 1st-3rd round.

Gruden has the plan and Mayock is the one showing Gruden what pieces fit where and if Gruden agrees...It happens

Mayock will probably get more in Gruden's ear with this season's rookies contributing. Will be interesting to see if Cable stays or if Bill C. is available next season and Jay too. Even with playoffs, I could see those 2 as upgrades to what we currently have. However if it's not broke, don't fix it as I doubt Olsen or Cable leave for other gigs before the other two would.