Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

RaidersAreOne

They work hand in hand. Mayock literally said his job is to listen to the coaches and provide players that fit what they are looking for. I'd say he succeeded in that respect (especially considering Gruden has final say). But not just with scheme fits, he's found players with great mindsets and potential. Most of our rookies came in ready to contribute and I think that was intentional this year. Not sure if that will be the trend going forward or not.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2019 at 2:24 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

They work hand in hand. Mayock literally said his job is to listen to the coaches and provide players that fit what they are looking for. I'd say he succeeded in that respect (especially considering Gruden has final say). But not just with scheme fits, he's found players with great mindsets and potential. Most of our rookies came in ready to contribute and I think that was intentional this year. Not sure if that will be the trend going forward or not.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:57 PM, Geezy said:

i loved when they panned over on Mayock during the Bengals and he was hands on knees laser focused on the game. no laughing phone calls or high-fiving, dude was locked in. you can tell hes all in working his *** off to get this right. 

Gruden and Mayock are both football junkies and they've targeted guys that love the game as much as they do. And it's already starting to help us turn the ship around. 

• 1 year later...

Well... Raiders have "officially" hired Mayock as the GM as of 10/11/2021.

What are we expecting here? Does Mayock want the job going forward?

I could see him winning over Davis in the coming months and Davis giving him full control of things right or wrong. 

Same time, knowing what we now know of Gruden does Davis need to rid the team of his stink? All these guys are Gruden lackeys after all and have to believe to some extent complicit with his behavior.

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I could see him winning over Davis in the coming months and Davis giving him full control of things right or wrong. 

Same time, knowing what we now know of Gruden does Davis need to rid the team of his stink? All these guys are Gruden lackeys after all and have to believe to some extent complicit with his behavior.

First things first expand the player pool in the 1st round from just Bama and Clemson

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'd personally be interested in seeing how he does as a GM without Gruden in the mix.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Do you really want to risk the 2022 draft to find out? Not much he will be able to do between now and then

Even if we hire a new GM it's a complete risk. I mean looking back to Gruden's first year here when Reggie was the GM it was largely reported that Reggie wanted Derwin James and Gruden wanted Kolton Miller, who won out? In 2020 it was largely reported that Mayock wanted CeeDee Lamb and Gruden wanted Henry Ruggs, who won out? 

When Mark gave Gruden $100M he gave him complete control of the team and the final say in all of our personnel decisions. 

ETA: I think our team would look completely different if Mayock had the final say. During the Mack draft he was the only person that had Mack over Clowney and seems to value traits/potential more then Gruden who is always in 100% now mode.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Even if we hire a new GM it's a complete risk. I mean looking back to Gruden's first year here when Reggie was the GM it was largely reported that Reggie wanted Derwin James and Gruden wanted Kolton Miller, who won out? In 2020 it was largely reported that Mayock wanted CeeDee Lamb and Gruden wanted Henry Ruggs, who won out? 

When Mark gave Gruden $100M he gave him complete control of the team and the final say in all of our personnel decisions. 

ETA: I think our team would look completely different if Mayock had the final say. During the Mack draft he was the only person that had Mack over Clowney and seems to value traits/potential more then Gruden who is always in 100% now mode.

I am gonna go back through some of Mayock’s rankings because I seem to recall him rating players with high upside, physical traits more than the so called ‘plug and play’ types. 

Our recent drafts didn’t seem to match up with what I thought Mayock would be looking for. And I don’t remember disagreeing massively with how he ranked his top players each draft. I definitely disagree with how we have drafted these last couple of years so would be interested to see how much of that was solely on Gruden. I suspect all of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roi34 said:

Davis handed keys to gruden. mayock is only guy i ever trusted on draft on TV. gruden ran early rounds for sure. 

Let Mayock actually draft. if he sucks this year. later. 

I dont think giving him 1 year would work. It is very unlikely that we can truly evaluate within a year if a draftworked out well. Unless they flat out suck of course.

Also, if you only give him short term we will also likely not attract a top coach.

I would like to give mayock a fairshot but believe itsbetter for us to startall over

3 hours ago, Roninho said:

I dont think giving him 1 year would work. It is very unlikely that we can truly evaluate within a year if a draftworked out well. Unless they flat out suck of course.

Also, if you only give him short term we will also likely not attract a top coach.

I would like to give mayock a fairshot but believe itsbetter for us to startall over

That is a good point. For me I guess it's a selfish thing really just to see how Mayock would do when he handles a complete draft himself. I don't really know Mayock's credentials to be able to be a prototypical GM who makes decisions on coaches, administration etc. Or whether he is just a glorified scout. 

There is reasoning behind getting rid of all the Gruden era holdovers and just purge the FO and start over.

Edited by Darbsk