Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

RaidersAreOne

On 10/13/2021 at 2:29 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Also makes you really wonder about the AB situation cause I know guys who don’t have good filters often over step the line in the sand. I don’t think mike is in the same boat as gruden but if you’re around that type of crowd and you don’t oppose it imo you’re basically condoning it. Like my dad told “you’re known by the company you keep” & “Guilty by association”

I mean Mayock was offered to GM a team with 5 first rounders in 2 years, i can imagine it’d be easy for him to turn that offer down. If your boss is a guy like Gruden, yeah it sounds noble to quit but it’s not very realistic for most people. 

On 10/13/2021 at 1:53 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

I honestly don’t buy that Mike is shocked by all of this. Same for Mark. Just being honest if you use language like gruden casually does it’s not just gonna be just with the wft it going to be with everyone. And it’s not going to be just between a 7 year span it’s basically a way of life. I think everyone knew they just chopped it up as that’s just gruden a guy with no filter.

I’m still interested to hear nassib speak because I wonder if gruden casually threw around vulgar words that would offend Carl unaware about his sexual orientation.  

I also still believe that others should be held to the same accountability as gruden because I’m positive he isn’t the only one. 

I wouldn’t surprise me to be honest, how some people behave in private is very different than in public including work. Remember Gruden worked in the media for years, he knew what was considered inappropriate in a group setting. It’s one thing to be around your subordinates, it’s another to be around your peers like in his emails. People can keep themselves in check in a professional setting, especially with cancel culture. I’m sure he thought those emails would have never seen the light of day. I’m not say what he did was appropriate but someone can hide things. 

56 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I mean Mayock was offered to GM a team with 5 first rounders in 2 years, i can imagine it’d be easy for him to turn that offer down. If your boss is a guy like Gruden, yeah it sounds noble to quit but it’s not very realistic for most people. 

He probably didn't know he'd have very little to zero input with Gruden making the picks. If he knew that, would he still have taken the job?

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

Well  yea if you’re not the target of his insults then it’s not that big of a deal and I agree sometimes you have to sacrifice to get what you want sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

I wouldn’t surprise me to be honest, how some people behave in private is very different than in public including work. Remember Gruden worked in the media for years, he knew what was considered inappropriate in a group setting. It’s one thing to be around your subordinates, it’s another to be around your peers like in his emails. People can keep themselves in check in a professional setting, especially with cancel culture. I’m sure he thought those emails would have never seen the light of day. I’m not say what he did was appropriate but someone can hide things. 

Oh yea and being realistic I have family members with bad filters but I would never invite them to my company Xmas party lol cause they’re old and don’t care what they say or who it may offend. And my young voice of reason doesn’t mean crap lol. 

I also think cancel culture is why so many minorities haven’t commented against gruden the term “the woke stay broke” that get thrown around here comes to mind plus everyone saw what happened to kaep 

I really admire khan the owner for Jax he stood up like a man about this

2 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

He probably didn't know he'd have very little to zero input with Gruden making the picks. If he knew that, would he still have taken the job?

I think that was understood from the get go though, everyone knew Gruden had the 100 million dollar contract, you don’t get paid that much if you aren’t the man. 

Interesting stuff in this article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/10/15/raiders-can-reshape-organization-after-gruden

A few months ago, I was talking to a coach who was describing the Gruden era Raiders culture to me, and he took his right hand, held it flat, then went up and down with it, in the sort of motion you’d make to mimic a roller coaster. One day, he said with his right hand held high, things were great. The next, he continued, sending the hand on a downward slope, would be an entirely different deal.

That wasn’t just the mood, either. It spilled over into different facets of the organization, too. If a coach saw a street free agent he thought could help, he’d go to Gruden, then be told to go to Mayock, only to wind up back with Gruden, who wielded final say. The roster could change year to year, month to month or even week to week, based on Gruden’s whims, and player development became a challenge as a result.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Nice little article, though I do think SI saying our OL turnaround is coming along nicely is odd.........

It kind of backs up what most of us thought when Gruden was originally hired. Good coach but don't let him have too much say on personnel. He can't build a team or roster. The chopping and changing, erratic picks and random trades etc. All had Gruden's blood splatter all over them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Good read. People here sh-t all over Mayo k but he's doing a good job.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2021/10/28/22751173/raiders-news-2019-class

They're certainly developing into a force. Even our 2020 class isn't turning out horrible. Simpson, Ruggs, Edwards and Robertson are turning out to be pretty good 4 of our 7 picks. Hopefully Arnette turns into something valuable. 

42 minutes ago, NickButera said:

They're certainly developing into a force. Even our 2020 class isn't turning out horrible. Simpson, Ruggs, Edwards and Robertson are turning out to be pretty good 4 of our 7 picks. Hopefully Arnette turns into something valuable. 

Surprise!! Young players have to develop 

10 hours ago, NickButera said:

Outside Riggs and Edwards, what is there to like about 2020?

Arnette will be cut soon. Bowden, Muse never played a snap. Simpson is a replacement level OG. Robinson showed he's not long for the NFL in his chance and is unlikely to make the team going forward. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Mayock has to go now. 

Not because I want to blame him for all the bad picks we had in recent history. 

For sure there were some picks that came from Gruden and also some that came from bad position coaches. But all in all we need a fresh start and a clear cut after this season and not again some patchwork.