Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

RaidersAreOne

For the draft this is an A+, and the draft is going to be the biggest factor in our success these next 2 years.
Who he hires to help with cap management, and other GM things will be interesting.

Its to bad there is no way, we couldnt have kept RM for all other things and Mike as purely the head draft guy lol

I really like this hire because the GM spot was always gonna be about who Gruden can trust regarding the draft. Mayock has missed on some prospects but I would say he was right more often then not. The draft will be very important the next two years for this franchise and if Mayock can come in and work with Gruden and deliver with those 5 first round picks  it’s worth bringing him in. He’s been someone the Raiders have had an eye on for a while now. Obviously will need to bring in someone who is more of a cap guy but for draft purposes this is a home run. Feel a lot better with our three first round picks this year then I did before. 

• Like 2

Perfect pairing IMO. Gruden loves older players, Mayock is a youth player expert. Also very opinionated and everything coming out says gruden wants someone who is not going to cave to his every whim.  He'll be sure that his voice is heard at the least. Also, apparently this is something Mayock has always wanted to do. For all his front office inexperience, Gruden has been in the league enough to know how to run an organization, I just worry that we don't have any cap savvy front office personnel right now. That could come back to bite us as (I predict) we start seeing dead money pile up. In the next few years.

45 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Perfect pairing IMO. Gruden loves older players, Mayock is a youth player expert. Also very opinionated and everything coming out says gruden wants someone who is not going to cave to his every whim.  He'll be sure that his voice is heard at the least. Also, apparently this is something Mayock has always wanted to do. For all his front office inexperience, Gruden has been in the league enough to know how to run an organization, I just worry that we don't have any cap savvy front office personnel right now. That could come back to bite us as (I predict) we start seeing dead money pile up. In the next few years.

This is also my biggest concern. Is it naive to cling to the hope that Reggie has left some now institutional organizational knowledge in place that might help? (At least as it pertains to the contract writing piece of the dead money equation....)

• Like 1

I like this hire. Mayock is not a "yes man" and don't believe he'd take a job like this if he thought he was going to be. 

This hire to me shows Gruden recognizing deficiencies, not wanting to be the talent evaluator and rank players in the draft opting for a proven draft guy. Herrock is still on staff who will likely be the contract/cap guy who is highly regarded. 

Mayock is grinder. He and Gruden are similar in their approaches. Could be a great fit.

• Like 5

Interesting he’s a good draft guy to have on board. Sure it’s another team for contracts. Im

im excited tho gonna be a fun off season especially since he knows all the fa’s inside and out from draft scouting experience. That’s the kicker imo he knows the fa’s also and we’ll be major players in the fa market as well as the draft