Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Cap structuring is not hard if you are not intimidated by it.  The hardest part of a GM is managing people and selling people on your vision.  Thankfully that is Gruden's thing and Mayock is good at managing people.  When you watch the draft he controls the panel without saying much.  He does not need to interrupt or raise his voice to get his point across.  He knows eventually they will look his way when they need the experts opinion or their opinion validated.  I really respect managers that are that way and they tend to be very successful and do not need to be right every time to be respected.  People can't wait to rip Mel Kyper but Mayock you look at him and focus on what he has done right.  If he can bring that to the team I think he will be very successful dealing with free agents and trading with other teams.  Good cop bad cop with him and Gruden.

Whet do you get that Mayock is good at managing people? Has he got managerial experience?

Edited by Dessie

Love it. Gottlieb calling it out.

If anything, I think mayock won't go for weird outside the box small school developmental picks in the 2nd round (cough cough) and will take guys where they should go. Guys who fall and the like. If he can hit on day 2 picks for us, we'll be in business.

Housh giving proper props to McKenzie. A franchine QB and Pass Rusher with a Pro Bowl WR. I wanted WR Watkins to fall but Mack was better. Cooper is a better WR than Watkins overall because of availbility. Carr was passed to the 2nd round. Texans would have taken him if they hadn't taken his brother previously.McKenzie didn't leave us in cap hell. He got us out of it. Paying two players over 20 million would have been cap hell later but 13-14 mil on 5th year should have been the route and traded next season BEFORE the draft. McKenzie I'm sure will get blamed for that but we all know he's not the 100,000,000.00 man. I do like this hire as it allows MM to get his feet wet and if he leaves it's because we're successful. Win/win IMO

Mayock is an entertaining TV personality and good scout.. but I’m not confident in him as a GM what so ever. This guy has been trying to get in a GM job for years but he’s just not a great candidate. He’s a scout not a GM. 

Like one part of me is really excited cause I really like Mayocks personality and he’s a fun guy and a solid scout. The other part of me is mad cause we hired a GM with no experience and basically Davis hired another TV personality cause he may not know what he’s doing and just watches the television. 

18 hours ago, Dessie said:

Whet do you get that Mayock is good at managing people? Has he got managerial experience?

He does not need the experience.  You can tell with how he interacts with with his co-workers and what people say about him.  I have not seen how he manages but how he controls himself, others, and a panel.  That lets me know he has what it takes.