Kyrie Irving Traded to Boston

CWood21

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

So keep Fultz and IT while getting Butler? How? Granted, it wouldn't be hard to top the package the TWolves gave up for him.

Yes.  Could have gotten it done easily with other parts (Smart or Brown) instead of IT.  Getting Butler/Hayward/Fultz instead of what they ended up with.

This is kind of a funny move when you look at how these organizations are depicted by most of the basketball world: Celtics somewhat miserly in their commitment to being great in the long haul, Cavs pushing all the chips in at every moment without regard for the future. The Kyrie situation obviously necessitated the Cavs' new direction, I find it more strange from the Celtics' perspective. They must have never wanted to pay Isaiah Thomas.

I love that this trade happened between Boston and Cleveland, all the times Cavs fans trashed IT4 and all the times the Celtics fans bashed Kyrie.... lol will be fun to see both sides gushing all over them now. I mean, I get it, rival player on one end and your player on the other end, just will be funny to see the opposite now. 

I think it's a good deal for the Cavs, considering everything. And some Celtics fans (not any here thank god) really thought they were gonna get AD for the Brooklyn and LA picks smh. Don't think it's bad for Boston either though.

With this deal, I wouldn't put it as a guarantee that Bron leaves Cleveland now. Crowder is gonna be a great role player for Bron all while being on a great deal....IT doesn't give them much of a drop-off from Kyrie skillset wise, and now they own a pick that'll likely fall in the top 5 next year. I'd think Cleveland ponies up to keep IT too assuming how well he and Bron work together.

Just now, CAS22 said:

Yes.  Could have gotten it done easily with other parts (Smart or Brown) instead of IT.  Getting Butler/Hayward/Fultz instead of what they ended up with.

The Bulls got such a terrible return maybe it could have happened. The Celtics should have then drafted Ball in that scenario. Get more size at the position and a pure PG while Butler/IT handle the scoring. Still, getting Kyrie is solid. 

Now, the question is what will the Pelicans do with Cousins if they struggle to start the season? The Celtics were the obvious pairing there.

I really don't think that this makes Boston better than last years Boston team tbh. 

The Cavs this off season have put more distance between themselves and Boston for at least this year. Boston is going to be too young and lack leadership unless Gordon can take that role. As for the future, I think it obviously does make them better. 

I think Wade still ends up on the Cavs roster and that Brooklyn pick could still be traded to bring another Superstar to Cleveland. 

Love the move by Kolby. 

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

With this deal, I wouldn't put it as a guarantee that Bron leaves Cleveland now. Crowder is gonna be a great role player for Bron all while being on a great deal....IT doesn't give them much of a drop-off from Kyrie skillset wise, and now they own a pick that'll likely fall in the top 5 next year. I'd think Cleveland ponies up to keep IT too assuming how well he and Bron work together.

Plus, I really don't think someone will have to max Isaiah. The market for point guards is super cool bc the position is so strong. They may only have to pay him in the low 20m's if LeBron and IT worked out and they wanted to stay. 

Also, they could use that BKN pick as trade bait this year to get another good player. Awesome move by them 

I like this more for the Celtics than I do the Cavaliers.  Isaiah Thomas is three years older than the Kyrie Irving and I believe Irving is clearly the superior player.  Unless I am mistaken, Thomas' contract will expire at the end of the season so that's a negative for the Cavaliers whether they let Thomas walk or sign him to a mega deal.  Also, Jae Crowder is a decent player, but nothing special and the Celtics have so much talent they could easily afford to let him go.  The Brooklyn pick could end up being #1 overall, but more realistically somewhere in the top five.  It's really hard to tell because I think the Nets will be better this upcoming season than they were last year and who knows how the lottery balls will bounce.  

The Celtics got an exceptionally talented point guard who is 25 years of age.  They are a very well coached team and a team that is really good right now, yet also in a great spot for the future as well.  I see no reason why Kyrie Irving would leave the Celtics when his contract is up in two years.  I really love what the Celtics have done all off-season.  Terrific draft and their free agency has been out of this world.  Kudos for having a tremendous off-season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

It is possible. That Nets pick is a game changer depending on how bad they are next season. LeBron also has the luxury of getting to see what pick they get and who they take before making his decision. 

Just now, champ11 said:

Plus, I really don't think someone will have to max Isaiah. The market for point guards is super cool bc the position is so strong. They may only have to pay him in the low 20m's if LeBron and IT worked out and they wanted to stay. 

Also, they could use that BKN pick as trade bait this year to get another good player. Awesome move by them 

Nets pick and Love as trade bait. Cha-ching

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Bulls got such a terrible return maybe it could have happened. The Celtics should have then drafted Ball in that scenario. Get more size at the position and a pure PG while Butler/IT handle the scoring. Still, getting Kyrie is solid. 

Now, the question is what will the Pelicans do with Cousins if they struggle to start the season? The Celtics were the obvious pairing there.

Fire their GM and coach lol