With the 10th pick the Denver Broncos select?

Wolzen

As much as everyone would like to trade back, I am not sure I see the fit. Our best bet would be if NYG grabs a QB in front of us, and someone is excited enough about QB2 that we don't like. 

Bosa, Q Williams, Oliver, G Williams, J Williams are likely to be gone by the time we pick...

Greg Little OT - like was previously mentioned, and move Boles to RT?

DL/OLB - tons of guys out there, most big boards are like 80% defensive line. It is a strong point of our team, but also one of the most important to have depth. 

WR - I do not want to reach on a WR with our first pick. Part due to lack of knowledge of the top guys, part due to me thinking early WR rarely pan out immediately and you can grab suitable guys in 2nd round.

DB - Deonte Thompson (S), Deandre Baker (CB), Byron Murphy (CB) are all options that I think everyone could get behind.

QB - If Haskins comes out, he is gone before we pick. Do we like Jones / Lock enough to grab them here? I don't think so... 2020 class looks way more intriguing.

ILB - Seems like Elway's MO has always been that LBs can be found later, is Devin White talented enough to change our mind?

As many who have been here over the years could attest, I am almost always skeptical of trading back, and most times I don't think it's worth it. This year, however, depending on what the return could be, I would be up for it. Not enamored with any QB but Haskins or Daniel Jones (for now, need to dig in more) and there's a lot of talent through Round 1.

That said, if we stay at 10, there are a LOT of really talented defensive players available.

Greedy Williams, Ed Oliver, Deandre Baker, Devin Smith, Rashaan Gary...whoooo boy. Greedy might not be there, but if he is, he's the easy choice. If not, give me Devin Smith and/or Ed Oliver.

If offense is an option, I would entertain Kelvin Harmon via trade down. I like N'Keal Harry, but we have Sutton. I would entertain Jawaan Taylor as well.He's played RT and LT. If they decide to move Bolles, I'd take Taylor at LT.

If we look at Rd1 at the 10 spot, the 4 positions that look like BPA can be argued are DL/CB/T/WR.    WR could have some very special talents in this draft, but I don't know that there's a Julio/AJ Green, and that's the only way you can really justify a pick that soon.    Honestly, if we go T or CB at 1.10, unless it's a crazy reach for a guy off the board (which is really hard to envision that early), it's going to be hard to argue.   

I do think we should take advantage of the deep WR class and bolster our corps sometime in the top 75 - because Sutton is not ready to be a WR1, and more importantly, he's likely going to fill a different type role than a class WR1.  I would not want us to go for a WR with Sutton's profile, because then we're just duplicating assets for similar roles.  Whoever we target should be a guy who can win with separation and route running, but with the length / catch radius / speed to play outside, and not just slot-only.  Hamilton looks like he should be a very effective slot guy, but I would be really hesitant to project anything more than that.  Patrick is a serviceable 4th WR, anything more and we're asking too much.    A guy like Riley Ridley would be awesome at 3.72.   But this is a draft class where there are potential Rd2-4 targets (with 2 Rd4 picks) where we should really consider it.   Much like 2017, there could be a Chris Godwin / Kenny Golladay type Rd4 impact guy, and we definitely need to think about improving our WR corps now that life without Manny Sanders is very much a reality (and the decision on the team option is in Feb-Mar 2019, so that's an even tougher call to renew, given he's nowhere near full recovery at that stage).

I do think our roster moves will tip our hand on where Elway's thinking - if we release Wolfe, I think DE suddenly becomes a very clear consideration in Elway's mind.   We all expect Roby to be released, and that of course puts CB in the cross-hairs, and even if we don't go CB 1.10, I'd expect we'll fill that no later than Rd3.   If we keep Wolfe, I'd guess we are going to hit T/CB at 1.10...unless it's QB (ugh, I just don't see Haskins even being close to available there, and while I still have concerns with only 1 year of production to go off, at least he's the one guy who makes you see the franchise ceiling and skills that are close to NFL-ready).    

At the 10th spot my clear cut favorite is DeAndre Baker. Kid plays a lot like Chris Harris. NFL ready, fluid and has enough game speed even if his 40 doesnt look like it will be amazing, team leader, plays way bigger than his size in run support, tons of room to grow as he is still very young. The kid is the full package at CB outside speed in shorts and height.

I have said it before, but the draft should go:

R1 - BPA

R2 - Best QB Avaliable

R3-R7 - BPA

I hate reaching, and there is a low statistical chance we hit on a QB in R2, but this team NEEDS someone else at that position to inspire hope in the fanbase. We cant enter 2019 with only Case, a cheap vet backup and maybe a low pick or UDFA guy at QB. We need to take a flyer on someone in R2. I disagree with doing so in R1 because the opportunity cost is too high in missing on a elite BPA guy, and the QB talent pool overall sorta sucks. But in R2, you got to roll the dice. Daniel Jones would be ideal but IMO he is more likely to go top 10 in R1 than top 10 in R2. Jordan Ta'amu is a bit interesting, could be a Dak type player.

6 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

At the 10th spot my clear cut favorite is DeAndre Baker. Kid plays a lot like Chris Harris. NFL ready, fluid and has enough game speed even if his 40 doesnt look like it will be amazing, team leader, plays way bigger than his size in run support, tons of room to grow as he is still very young. The kid is the full package at CB outside speed in shorts and height.

I have said it before, but the draft should go:

R1 - BPA

R2 - Best QB Avaliable

R3-R7 - BPA

I hate reaching, and there is a low statistical chance we hit on a QB in R2, but this team NEEDS someone else at that position to inspire hope in the fanbase. We cant enter 2019 with only Case, a cheap vet backup and maybe a low pick or UDFA guy at QB. We need to take a flyer on someone in R2. I disagree with doing so in R1 because the opportunity cost is too high in missing on a elite BPA guy, and the QB talent pool overall sorta sucks. But in R2, you got to roll the dice. Daniel Jones would be ideal but IMO he is more likely to go top 10 in R1 than top 10 in R2. Jordan Ta'amu is a bit interesting, could be a Dak type player.

Idk that I agree with the above. Case is only here for one more year and then you move on regardless. If Elway blows up the team and a lot of vets are cut (very possible), I could see us approaching 2019 with a development mindset and go full bore for a QB in 2020. I don't think Denver should force the issue if there's not a player that makes sense. Just accumulate as much talent as possible, then land the QB.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Not that it matters much, but I’m pretty sure we have pick #9.

That was a mistake by Tankathon last night (or rather, how their script works) - the final IND/TEN game wasn't counted, so even though the outcome was known (1-1, or even 0-0-2 in a tie) - the drop in SoS (as a .500 record still drops SoS by 1/1000th of a point) created a tie in SoS between BUF & DEN.   And unlike NFC-AFC ties, they use conference tiebreakers, so we lost on the 3rd tiebreaker after that - strength of victory (conference record & record vs. common opponents were identical).  

So we are picking 10th, NFL & Klis both confirmed today, and Tankathon has corrected itself. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Idk that I agree with the above. Case is only here for one more year and then you move on regardless. If Elway blows up the team and a lot of vets are cut (very possible), I could see us approaching 2019 with a development mindset and go full bore for a QB in 2020. I don't think Denver should force the issue if there's not a player that makes sense. Just accumulate as much talent as possible, then land the QB.

I agree that Elway has to embrace the rebuild (OK, let's call it developmental so it's more palatable lol) mindset if we are going to right the ship longterm.    And that would favor the approach you are advocating. I just don't know that Elway sees it that way, though - he restructured Von's contract so he could bring in Clinton McDonald & Tremaine Brock in FA and trade for Veldheer to fill our perceived holes to be a win-now team in 2018.  Obviously I don't think we're legitimate 2019 contenders, but if Elway couldn't see we weren't legit contenders in 2018, I don't know that he'll draw that new conclusion in 2019 (he should, but it's not in his DNA - can he arrive at this difficult conclusion against his nature?   That's the 64M question).

I would much rather we don't invest any major chips into the 2019 QB draft, and be ready to go all in for 2020 QB-wise.   But that's a step that requires a sacrifice of 2019.   That's a huge step for Elway to take.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I agree that Elway has to embrace the rebuild mindset if we are going to right the ship longterm.    And that would favor the approach you are advocating. I just don't know that Elway sees it that way, though - he restructured Von's contract so he could bring in Clinton McDonald & Tremaine Brock in FA and trade for Veldheer to fill our perceived holes to be a win-now team in 2018.  Obviously I don't think we're legitimate 2019 contenders, but if Elway couldn't see we weren't legit contenders in 2018, I don't know that he'll draw that new conclusion in 2019.

I would much rather we don't invest any major chips into the 2019 draft, and be ready to go all in for 2020 QB-wise.   But that's a step that requires a sacrifice of 2019.   That's a huge step for Elway to take.  

You're not wrong. But I just sense it's a different vibe this time. All of the players are now talking in interviews about the rebuild. That's not the mindset or the message we heard the last few years.

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

You're not wrong. But I just sense it's a different vibe this time. All of the players are now talking in interviews about the rebuild. That's not the mindset or the message we heard the last few years.

Yeah, I did see that - Wolfe's interview in particular was noteworthy.   I don't know if he realizes that actually puts him in jeopardy.   But it was new territory, that's for sure.

If we're being honest, I could see the following players gone:

1. Darian Stewart
  2. Brandon Marshall
  3. Derek Wolfe
  4. Ron Leary
  5. Emmanuel Sanders
  6. Matt Paradis
  7. Su'a Cravens

Now, will all of them go? No. But Marshall and Stewart are all but gone. I would also part ways with Sanders personally. 32 coming off an Achilles tear doesn't scream must play to me. Paradis is a wild card, but I'd probably keep him. I would probably part ways with Leary as well. Denver could go into this offseason with significant cap space and add even more. Some smart signings could go a long way.

47 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I agree that Elway has to embrace the rebuild (OK, let's call it developmental so it's more palatable lol) mindset if we are going to right the ship longterm.    And that would favor the approach you are advocating. I just don't know that Elway sees it that way, though - he restructured Von's contract so he could bring in Clinton McDonald & Tremaine Brock in FA and trade for Veldheer to fill our perceived holes to be a win-now team in 2018.  Obviously I don't think we're legitimate 2019 contenders, but if Elway couldn't see we weren't legit contenders in 2018, I don't know that he'll draw that new conclusion in 2019 (he should, but it's not in his DNA - can he arrive at this difficult conclusion against his nature?   That's the 64M question).

I would much rather we don't invest any major chips into the 2019 QB draft, and be ready to go all in for 2020 QB-wise.   But that's a step that requires a sacrifice of 2019.   That's a huge step for Elway to take.  

I've said it many times, I don't know if the organizational leadership (Ellis and the trust) will allow Elway to go full-bore on a rebuild. This team needs to get prime time and nationally-televised games to make selling naming rights now appealing to potential corporate partners. The business side is forcing the win-now approach more than the FO is. 

22 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Say you can trade down into the back half of the first for an extra first or second.  That would hedge your bets in case the extra pick you have to select a qb fails.

If we're not picking a qb early, hope we'd trade for high pick(s) in next years draft, ammo to move up (if needed).

This is how the top 12 is going (don’t quote me)

1. Cards- Nick Bosa

2. Niners- Josh Allen

3. Jaguars (from Jets)- Dwayne Haskins 

4. Raiders- Quinnen Williams

5. Buccaneers- Greedy Williams

6. Giants- Daniel Jones (Surprise)

7. Jets- Jonah Williams 

8. Lions- Ed Oliver

9. Bills- Greg Little

10. Broncos- DeAndre Baker

11. Bengals- Devin White

12. Packers- Rashaan Gary