With the 10th pick the Denver Broncos select?

Wolzen

55 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I don't really disagree with you, but IMO it's all about timing and situation for young QB's. In other words, i like being "just a QB away" before I make that leap. 

It's easier to destroy a young QB than it is to develop him. Rosen could very well be the next casualty. Nobody can get hit that often without starting to hear footsteps. So, if a QB that we love drops to us this year then take him. If not, one more solid draft this spring could have us "just a QB away:. 

2020 looks like the year to draft a QB very high regardless of cost in draft picks.

Tend to agree - but its a balance.  Closer you are to being "just a QB away", the lower you are likely picking, and the harder it is to get up to where you need to be.  Key thing for being "QB Ready", in my mind, is a) the line, b) Running Backs, and C) a great TE.  Our line isn't great, but - healthy again, not that bad.  Our RB situation is Good.  We need a TE, but best place to go there will be FA (as it will take 2-3 years to get them there anyway for a TE).  So - if this year, you go draft BPA and its a great CB in R1, and a DT in R2, and then maybe a WR or OL in Round 3 - are you reallly in that much better shape for your 2020 QB?

Personally, I think you have to do whatever it takes to get the QB you want, whoever that is, and whenever you can get them.  If you're worried about ruining they're development, cut some vets and bring in servicable (if expensive) FA OL in the interim, but get the guy in there.

For me - I agree - I think the candidate pool (not "when we're ready", but the candidate pool) dictates 2020.  But that means you start setting that up now.  Trade down for a 2020 R1 pick.  Trade down in R2 for a 2020 R2 pick.  Do whatever it takes to put yourself in a position to get one of "the guys" in 2020.  

Or else be prepared to live with Griese/Orton/Cutler/Osweiller/Simeon/Lynch.........

2 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Tend to agree - but its a balance.  Closer you are to being "just a QB away", the lower you are likely picking, and the harder it is to get up to where you need to be.  Key thing for being "QB Ready", in my mind, is a) the line, b) Running Backs, and C) a great TE.  Our line isn't great, but - healthy again, not that bad.  Our RB situation is Good.  We need a TE, but best place to go there will be FA (as it will take 2-3 years to get them there anyway for a TE).  So - if this year, you go draft BPA and its a great CB in R1, and a DT in R2, and then maybe a WR or OL in Round 3 - are you reallly in that much better shape for your 2020 QB?

Personally, I think you have to do whatever it takes to get the QB you want, whoever that is, and whenever you can get them.  If you're worried about ruining they're development, cut some vets and bring in servicable (if expensive) FA OL in the interim, but get the guy in there.

For me - I agree - I think the candidate pool (not "when we're ready", but the candidate pool) dictates 2020.  But that means you start setting that up now.  Trade down for a 2020 R1 pick.  Trade down in R2 for a 2020 R2 pick.  Do whatever it takes to put yourself in a position to get one of "the guys" in 2020.  

Or else be prepared to live with Griese/Orton/Cutler/Osweiller/Simeon/Lynch.........

The other part of the QB issue is that year 1 is almost always a throwaway in terms of contention.  For each Watson or Marino you have 10x the guys who need to catch up to game speed.    Even Baker needed some time this year and he was on a very talented O.   So waiting until 2020 means the realistic window to contend is 2021.  

In our case waiting until 2020 to get a QB probably matches our realistic timeline to contend again (2021+ if Keenum is our best guy in 2019).  But the more important reason to wait until 2020 IMO is I don’t think there is a guy we can realistically get or should target in 2019 for their price.   If there was I would be totally fine - but there has to be a true franchise level talent.   The only guy in this class I see who’s worth considering (and he’s breaking my rule to have 2 years of production to feel safe with), we are outgunned in a major way for.    I don’t mind if we dabble so we don’t get too committed to pass on 2020.   But waiting on 2020 to go hard on QB is more about what’s there in 2019 than waiting until the roster is better.   Making the roster better is just a way better proposition than reaching badly in Rd1 and committing 3 years of purgatory.  

I realize that’s what you are alluding to - just that it bears emphasizing.   If the guy is there or close I don’t think waiting until the roster is complete helps nearly as much.   The chance to get a true franchise QB is not as commonplace as we’d like to think - and even harder when a team gets in that no man’s land where they are good but not legit contenders.   It’s why embracing a full rebuild and going young is never a bad thing if you lack the QB - either you hit with young cheap talent and you are better, or you are in a better position to get those core pieces next year.  

2 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Well presented post, I like that.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The other part of the QB issue is that year 1 is almost always a throwaway in terms of contention.  For each Watson or Marino you have 10x the guys who need to catch up to game speed.    Even Baker needed some time this year and he was on a very talented O.   So waiting until 2020 means the realistic window to contend is 2021.  

In our case waiting until 2020 to get a QB probably matches our realistic timeline to contend again (2021+ if Keenum is our best guy in 2019).  But the more important reason to wait until 2020 IMO is I don’t think there is a guy we can realistically get or should target in 2019 for their price.   If there was I would be totally fine - but there has to be a true franchise level talent.   The only guy in this class I see who’s worth considering (and he’s breaking my rule to have 2 years of production to feel safe with), we are outgunned in a major way for.    I don’t mind if we dabble so we don’t get too committed to pass on 2020.   But waiting on 2020 to go hard on QB is more about what’s there in 2019 than waiting until the roster is better.   Making the roster better is just a way better proposition than reaching badly in Rd1 and committing 3 years of purgatory.  

I realize that’s what you are alluding to - just that it bears emphasizing.   If the guy is there or close I don’t think waiting until the roster is complete helps nearly as much.   The chance to get a true franchise QB is not as commonplace as we’d like to think - and even harder when a team gets in that no man’s land where they are good but not legit contenders.   It’s why embracing a full rebuild and going young is never a bad thing if you lack the QB - either you hit with young cheap talent and you are better, or you are in a better position to get those core pieces next year.  

This is why id rather cut our loses with Keenum dont go crazy with high priced guys in free agency and tank for next year.  Its why I'm in favor of trading a guy like Chris Harris if we got a good offer.

I'd rather suck for a year or two and get back to elite status.  Then this patch work job elway tries to do every year to call us contenders when we're really in qb purgatory. And purgatory as a team.

It’s Haskins or Jones for me.  Haskins is damn good all the way around.  Love his quick release and accuracy.  Though I do question how he’ll do under pressure at the next level, as he isn’t a very good athlete and didn’t have to face much of it at OSU.

Jones is a lesser arm talent than Haskins, but a much better athlete.  He knows how to handle pressure make quick reads and get the ball out because he was forced to do it at Duke with their less than stellar talent.  

Archived