2018-2019 Offseason Thread (Season Concludes)

gopherwrestler

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Hardest part is, we can draft guards, start them...... but as fans we have to be the most impatient group.

they may be future hall of fame players but we will depend on them being all-pro players in their rookie year. 

We don’t need all-pro. We just need competent, and it will look all-pro. 

Just look at how we feel about O’Neill. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

We don’t need all-pro. We just need competent, and it will look all-pro. 

Just look at how we feel about O’Neill. 

Exactly.  I think Cousins is good enough to work with just an average offensive line.  Our line was pathetic today.

Get a brand new offensive coaching staff.

Move on from Remmers, Sendejo and Rudolph. Take the cap savings.

Figure out who to keep between Barr and Richardson. Both have had their moments and struggles.

Build the OL through the draft.

Start evaluating QB options because Cousins isn't the answer. 

Is it too much of an overreaction to say it’s time for us to move on from Zimmer? This team still just doesn’t “get up” for big games and his management of the game is far from superb. 

We have the pieces on defense for a new coordinator to come in and play with, but t get the top of offensive mind that I think we need in here... you’re probably going to have to hire him is the head coach. 

Just now, RpMc said:

Is it too much of an overreaction to say it’s time for us to move on from Zimmer? This team still just doesn’t “get up” for big games and his management of the game is far from superb. 

We have the pieces on defense for a new coordinator to come in and play with, but t get the top of offensive mind that I think we need in here... you’re probably going to have to hire him is the head coach. 

I’m open to the idea. I like Zimmer, but it feels like this team has plateaued.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I agree with most of this, but I still don’t see Spielman or Zim leaving in year one of signing Kirk. 

Zim giving Edwards full playcalling privilege I do like and I believe it should happen.

As much as I don't think Zimmer & Spielman are the GM/HC duo to get the job done, they're tied to Kirk. They're not getting fired this year and it's a safe bet to say they finish 2019 as GM/HC.

Zimmer needs to fully realize he's a HEAD COACH. Like I said before, I don't know how much of Zimmer's time is spent on the ENTIRE team but from what reporters/insiders and the man himself has said, he doesn't insert himself enough into the other aspects of the team. If he doesn't think Edwards is that guy. he needs to hire someone he thinks is the guy. Zim's attention needs to be on 100% of the game, not scheming the defense when the offense is on the field.

He is also terrible at clock management and challenges. He's awfully lucky Dalvin bailed him out when he decided to challenge and cancel out the QB sneak for a 1st down. Ball spot challenges are rarely over-turned.

Another thing he needs to figure out is how the hell his teams cannot show up to big games to save their lives. There's NO excuse to not even show up today. There was NO excuse to not show up to the NFCCG. I just don't think his team is mentally strong. We've saw them collapse when adversity hits NUMEROUS times now over the last few seasons. It's weird because he's a hard-nosed, tough guy yet his teams show no toughness "when the going gets tough."

As for Spielman.....he's lucky he's hit huge on later round players/UDFA's after some brutal 1st round picks have busted horribly. I know some of you will say "Spielman used a 2nd and a 3rd on linemen the past two seasons!" Still FARRRRR too little, too late. Even O'Neill was drafted to be a red-shirt until injuries forced him to start where he's showed some promise. I don't understand how he's let this happen. He should have been using high picks on linemen 5 years ago instead of playing catch-up after he signed his $84 million QB.

All in all, missing the playoffs 3 times in 5 seasons (1-2 record when in playoffs) won't get it done in this league when you have a roster like this. People can sit there and throw out his overall record or how good his defenses are or blame the OC's or QB's or whatever but "one step forward, one step back" describes Zimmer's career. 1 bad year (2014), 1 good year (2015), 1 bad year (2016), 1 good year (2017), and now another bad year (2018). One step forward.....one step back. Sorry, I'm not happy with that. Nobody should be. I love Zimmer as much as the next guy but he just may not be the guy. I do have faith he'll look in the mirror and realize he himself needs to adapt to the game that, at times, seems like it's passing him by.

Let's get that OL addressed in 2019. I don't care if 9 of our draft picks are offensive linemen....this is the spot we're in now. Absolute panic mode because it does not matter how good the defense is, we're not winning behind an offensive line like this. 

It's a long time until September 2019 but let's give it another shot next year, boys.

Zimmer needs to hand over the reigns to the defense, at the very least. And if he can’t, then he should resign and find a job as a defensive coordinator somewhere. Because that’s all he really is at this point.

The Jets just fired Todd Bowles, and I’d like to see him come in and take control of the defense. He has a history with Zimmer (d-backs coach in Dallas), but he’s also had his own success as a DC. And I don’t think he’d let Zimmer get overly involved on game day. Which I don’t think would be the case with George Edwards. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I’m wondering if our 2018 will be similar to the Packers’ 2017. Where we see a shake up in the front office, and a significant overhaul to the coaching staff (minus the HC).

I don't see it.

I can see Preifer and Edwards being ousted at most. Stefanski will be the OC in 2019. Zimmer and Spielman will be back.

This is their last "free pass" season I think. If they don't win a playoff game next year, it's going to be time to make a big shake up.

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m wondering if our 2018 will be similar to the Packers’ 2017. Where we see a shake up in the front office, and a significant overhaul to the coaching staff (minus the HC).

I think we need the opposite of that. We need stability. We have had so many offensive coaching changes in the past 2-3 years, not to mention the whole QB saga. This could be the first year where we keep everything the same going into the next year and we could finally build some continuity. 

For next year.

Kirk needs better pocket awareness. I am not sure about how to implement that. 

Obviously the interior of the OL line needs help. 

I say let Barr and Richardson walk.

Next year we get back our CBs. Mike Hughes will be a stud.

An easier schedule next year. It was brutal this year. We lost a lot of games by shooting ourselves in the foot. Costly turnovers. Saints game?

To me, our most pressing needs are these:

-2 OG's. 1 of which has the ability to play RT if we end up needing O'Neill on the Left.

-A third receiving option. Whether that is a 3rd WR or a dynamic TE. No more Hodges/Pruitt/Conklin guys either. Spend a little capital if we need to.

-The rest is predicated on who leaves. Richardson or Barr leaving would leave gaping holes that would need to be filled by higher draft picks or FA's. If Sendejo is cut and Harris gets signed to a higher offer sheet Safety becomes a need as well.

This off-season could very well determine if we remain (or become I guess) viable contenders, or if we become a team in purgatory with no cap space and no depth. It will be interesting to see what they do. We don't have enough resources to fix everything, so do we continue to focus on defense to try to ease the pressure on the offense, or do we devote our resources to protecting and giving weapons to Kirk to try to build around him?

Archived