2018-2019 Offseason Thread (Season Concludes)

gopherwrestler

I’ve done some thinking, and I believe the team should move on from both Barr and Richardson.

We can afford them, but we should really focus on the other side of the ball. Zimmer, our head coach, has really been in charge of the defense. As a Defensive coach, supposedly, one of the best in the NFL, let’s see him be able to work this defense without as much talent. Sacrifice the cap space for the offense. Let’s put some talent around Kirk.

I’ve done some thinking, and I believe the team should move on from both Barr and Richardson.

We can afford them, but we should really focus on the other side of the ball. Zimmer, our head coach, has really been in charge of the defense. As a Defensive coach, supposedly, one of the best in the NFL, let’s see him be able to work this defense without as much talent. Sacrifice the cap space for the offense. Let’s put some talent around Kirk.

Is there any chance the Chargers would be willing to trade Forrest Lamp? Everyone here wanted him on the Vikings, and he hasn't played at all for the Chargers since being drafted in the 2nd round two years ago. He tore his ACL as a rookie and then the Chargers didn't want to disrupt their OL after he got healthy this year.

Something like Xavier Rhodes for Forrest Lamp + a draft pick might work out well for both teams...

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Is there any chance the Chargers would be willing to trade Forrest Lamp? Everyone here wanted him on the Vikings, and he hasn't played at all for the Chargers since being drafted in the 2nd round two years ago. He tore his ACL as a rookie and then the Chargers didn't want to disrupt their OL after he got healthy this year.

Something like Xavier Rhodes for Forrest Lamp + a draft pick might work out well for both teams...

Chargers don’t exactly need for CB depth tho to the point of trading for Rhodes I wouldn’t think. Especially with how much they stay in a zone package on defense. 

And being honest that draft pick we get back better be a fairly decent pick. Would be interesting tho to make something work. Schofield is also still under contract for 2019.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I disagree if it means that the defense falls out of the top 5. Putting mediocre but expensive talent around Cousins won't drastically improve his ability to play big in crucial moments. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I disagree if it means that the defense falls out of the top 5. Putting mediocre but expensive talent around Cousins won't drastically improve his ability to play big in crucial moments. 

25 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Putting mediocre but expensive talent around Cousins won't drastically improve his ability to play big in crucial moments. 

This is the biggest thing that worries me with Cousins.

Nick Foles has rightfully earned his nickname(s).

I wouldn't be opposed to the franchise tag on Barr. Ideally we give them the Griffen treatment and let them both seek FA deals elsewhere knowing we'd potentially match said offer. 

if the defense continues to slide as Griffen, Joseph and Rhodes get older, where is the young talent going to come from? Losing two starters and potentially plugging those spots with backup level players or rookies won't help offset the decline from 2017. Having one hole on defense is manageable, but two, could just be creating a mess. 

26 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I'd almost call Washington and see what the price tag is for Brandon Scherff. Worst they can say is no. Similar to what Heimdallr suggested for Lamp, do you think Rhodes and and a draft pick would work? Is that too much? Not enough?

I don't know what the Redskins needs are, but it's worth it for pick 18 if we're going to take an OL anyway. Tag and trade Barr for Scherff? Trae Waynes maybe? Again, I don't know what Washington needs but I'd guess pick 18 or a good starter and a 2nd could start the conversation. You'd have to clear cap space for him as he would end up being the highest paid OL on the team.

35 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I'd almost call Washington and see what the price tag is for Brandon Scherff. Worst they can say is no. Similar to what Heimdallr suggested for Lamp, do you think Rhodes and and a draft pick would work? Is that too much? Not enough?

I've been impressed with Scherff!  If the Vikings could afford this move, I'd do it in a heartbeat!!

Looking at the current cap situation, I don't see how we can afford either Barr or Richardson, let alone any external free agents.

The current top-51 salary (including currently slotted draft picks) AFTER cutting Sendejo and Remmers is $179.4M. We have 2018 dead money at $433k, a 2018 rollover of $1.035M, and the estimated 2019 salary cap is $189M. That gives us a current cap room of $10.21M.

There are depth guys we probably need to re-sign like Anthony Harris, Rashod Hill (2nd round RFA is $3.1M) and Nick Easton, who should all be in the $2M-$4M range. Harris may have even earned more. We also need Dan Bailey (or equivalent, $1M-2M). If we account for bringing back those 4 guys, that'll bring us to within just a couple million of the salary cap. 

13 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Looking at the current cap situation, I don't see how we can afford either Barr or Richardson, let alone any external free agents.

The current top-51 salary (including currently slotted draft picks) AFTER cutting Sendejo and Remmers is $179.4M. We have 2018 dead money at $433k, a 2018 rollover of $1.035M, and the estimated 2019 salary cap is $189M. That gives us a current cap room of $10.21M.

There are depth guys we probably need to re-sign like Anthony Harris, Rashod Hill (2nd round RFA is $3.1M) and Nick Easton, who should all be in the $2M-$4M range. Harris may have even earned more. We also need Dan Bailey (or equivalent, $1M-2M). If we account for bringing back those 4 guys, that'll bring us to within just a couple million of the salary cap. 

While some have (incorrectly) said that Cousins' contract will not prevent the team from signing anyone it will take a fair amount of effort to bring in a couple guys for the offensive line before the draft. In addition to Sendejo and Remmers there has been talk related to Rudolph (potential $7.625M savings) , Griffen (potential $10.7M savings), and Treadwell (potential $1.8M savings if the team can trade him without taking on part of the hit). That is over $20M they can save against the gap; that is enough to sign two top free agent offensive linemen. There has also been talk of trading Rhodes; this would open another $6.2M against the cap if it happened.

As you can see, there are things the team can do but given the contract they have with Cousins they will have to prioritize and go into next season with just a few of the guys on the team heading to free agency, guys from other teams that will make it to free agency, and guys on the team currently under contract from which the team can reasonably move on. For me, priority #1 is offensive line. After fixing that problem the team will have to figure out what else they can keep -- certainly not everyone.

20 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

While some have (incorrectly) said that Cousins' contract will not prevent the team from signing anyone it will take a fair amount of effort to bring in a couple guys for the offensive line before the draft. In addition to Sendejo and Remmers there has been talk related to Rudolph (potential $7.625M savings) , Griffen (potential $10.7M savings), and Treadwell (potential $1.8M savings if the team can trade him without taking on part of the hit). That is over $20M they can save against the gap; that is enough to sign two top free agent offensive linemen. There has also been talk of trading Rhodes; this would open another $6.2M against the cap if it happened.

As you can see, there are things the team can do but given the contract they have with Cousins they will have to prioritize and go into next season with just a few of the guys on the team heading to free agency, guys from other teams that will make it to free agency, and guys on the team currently under contract from which the team can reasonably move on. For me, priority #1 is offensive line. After fixing that problem the team will have to figure out what else they can keep -- certainly not everyone.

I'd flip Treadwell for a 6th or 7th if someone was willing 

Archived