2018-2019 Offseason Thread (Season Concludes)

gopherwrestler

2 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I'd flip Treadwell for a 6th or 7th if someone was willing 

I would trade away a 7th along with Treadwell to get someone to take him and his guaranteed money. That $1.8M can be invested a lot more efficiently to improve the roster and it would be worth the cost to move on.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Looking at the current cap situation, I don't see how we can afford either Barr or Richardson, let alone any external free agents.

The current top-51 salary (including currently slotted draft picks) AFTER cutting Sendejo and Remmers is $179.4M. We have 2018 dead money at $433k, a 2018 rollover of $1.035M, and the estimated 2019 salary cap is $189M. That gives us a current cap room of $10.21M.

There are depth guys we probably need to re-sign like Anthony Harris, Rashod Hill (2nd round RFA is $3.1M) and Nick Easton, who should all be in the $2M-$4M range. Harris may have even earned more. We also need Dan Bailey (or equivalent, $1M-2M). If we account for bringing back those 4 guys, that'll bring us to within just a couple million of the salary cap. 

I'm no expert but this article says otherwise:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/12/19/18148200/2019-nfl-salary-cap-minnesota-vikings

I believe we would have near $21M in cutting Remmers and Dejo, almost $29M if we cut Rudy, and while unlikely nearly $40M if they cut Griffen.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/minnesota-vikings/

There is room to work with with cuts and restructures. Cap guys that understand these things better can back me up or show me why I'm wrong.

Before any cuts are made, with a projected salary cap of $190M, the Vikings will have $10,985,401 in cap space. Per overthecap.com

Cutting Andrew Sendejo would add $5.5M to that number. Cutting Mike Remmers would add another $4.55M. Cutting Kyle Rudolph would add another $7.625M to that number. And cutting Everson Griffen would add another $10.7M. 

Just with those four players, with either restructuring or a flat out release, this team could create up to $28.375M in additional cap space. 

And that doesn’t include possible extensions to players like Smith and Waynes. 

13 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm no expert but this article says otherwise:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/12/19/18148200/2019-nfl-salary-cap-minnesota-vikings

I believe we would have near $21M in cutting Remmers and Dejo, almost $29M if we cut Rudy, and while unlikely nearly $40M if they cut Griffen.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/minnesota-vikings/

There is room to work with with cuts and restructures. Cap guys that understand these things better can back me up or show me why I'm wrong.

I don't know where they got those numbers, because in the article they say right now we are $7.5M under the projected $190M cap, even though the link they included to Sportrac shows less then $1M in room.

Also the OverTheCap site seems to have some errors such as Thielens cap number, and missing players.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Before any cuts are made, with a projected salary cap of $190M, the Vikings will have $10,985,401 in cap space. Per overthecap.com

OTC is missing players (only has 43 players under contract), and is basing off of a $194M cap limit.

10 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

OTC is missing players (only has 43 players under contract), and is basing off of a $194M cap limit.

OTC is only using the $190 projection. The $194M is including the projected carry over.

And they only have 43 players listed because the other 10 players were signed to NFL futures contracts, which only count as part of the 90-man expanded roster. Which is treated differently.

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Spotrac has also added a bunch of players that will get cut. Basically training camp tryouts.

There is plenty of room for restructures with a ton of these guys if they really wanted to. Reiff, Everson, Smith, Joseph, And many more. Fact is (outside of maybe Griffen) most of them will be salary reductions but probably will end up with longer contracts, tying them up longer with us as a lower salary this year. 

Will be interesting to see what we do, but I’m betting they go out of their way to see what they can do to make some room. 

I think cutting Everson Griffen makes a lot of sense. He is due $11.9M with only $1.2M in dead money if cut, he is coming off the worst year of his career, he is 31 years old, Stephen Weatherly has been stepping up lately, and who knows if he'll miss more time with his mental health issues.

11 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I think cutting Everson Griffen makes a lot of sense. He is due $11.9M with only $1.2M in dead money if cut, he is coming off the worst year of his career, he is 31 years old, Stephen Weatherly has been stepping up lately, and who knows if he'll miss more time with his mental health issues.

I don't disagree but I think a restructure may be a better route.

Rudolph is another interesting case. Treating it solely as a business decision he is an easy cut to me if he isn't willing to restructure.

17 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I agree.  I thought our front 4 played better when Griffen was out.  Griffen gave up the edge all year against running backs and that use to be his strength.  No one could beat him outside.  It would just be bad timing though due to his mental health issues.  I can't see that not carrying some negative PR backlash.  Still I would rather cut him than dump Rudolph.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Everson Griffen is not getting cut.  I don't even think they'd ask for him to restructure yet, especially with 4 years still left on his deal.  If you restructure with him now, then you lose leverage on asking him to restructure again later, because he might be less likely to do so.  They'll likely wait to ask him until 2020. 

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I don't disagree but I think a restructure may be a better route.

Rudolph is another interesting case. Treating it solely as a business decision he is an easy cut to me if he isn't willing to restructure.

I don't even see much value in bringing Rudolph back on a restructured deal. He's not a good blocker and hasn't been a threat between the 20s. Seems like he wasnt looked at much in the redzone by Cousins. Could just be a function of the offense.

I get that Rudolph is a fan favorite but I think it's time to move on. 

Problem with cutting Griffen is that DE would instantly become a top priority need worthy of a first round pick. We've got no depth behind Hunter and Weatherly and we don't even know how Weatherly would do as a permanent starter. Zimmer uses three DEs regularly.

Id rather cut Rudolph, Remmers and Sendejo and restructure Griffen's deal.

Archived