2018-2019 Offseason Thread (Season Concludes)

gopherwrestler

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't even see much value in bringing Rudolph back on a restructured deal. He's not a good blocker and hasn't been a threat between the 20s. Seems like he wasnt looked at much in the redzone by Cousins. Could just be a function of the offense.

I get that Rudolph is a fan favorite but I think it's time to move on. 

Problem with cutting Griffen is that DE would instantly become a top priority need worthy of a first round pick. We've got no depth behind Hunter and Weatherly and we don't even know how Weatherly would do as a permanent starter. Zimmer uses three DEs regularly.

Id rather cut Rudolph, Remmers and Sendejo and restructure Griffen's deal.

At this stage he is more imagine and reputation that production 

I don't like they idea of cutting Rudolph until there is a decent replacement on the roster.  Cut Rudolph prior to the draft and I think TE instantly becomes a top need.  

Remmers is getting replaced regardless, as well as Sendejo so they're easy.  Restructuring is tough because Rudolph knows there's no decent receiving options behind him and Griffen could easily bounce back to his normal level of play.

37 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I don't like they idea of cutting Rudolph until there is a decent replacement on the roster.  Cut Rudolph prior to the draft and I think TE instantly becomes a top need.  

I might be in the minority but I'd like to see what David Morgan could do.

2 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Remmers is getting replaced regardless, as well as Sendejo so they're easy.  Restructuring is tough because Rudolph knows there's no decent receiving options behind him and Griffen could easily bounce back to his normal level of play.

I think we will end up going into the draft with 2-3 positions with no decent starting options. That's fine. Can't fill every hole in one offseason. We're not as close as once thought.

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I might be in the minority but I'd like to see what David Morgan could do.

If he was a full time, every down starter, his best season would be probably similar, maybe slightly less than what Rudolph put up in the receiving game. 

Hes just not that kind of TE. He isn’t going to stretch a seam vertically.

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

But why keep Rudolph around? Why not get someone with more athleticism to compliment Morgan.

I absolutely agree, but we can't cut him before the draft as someone else had said earlier. If we find a TE to pair with Morgan in the draft, that's great, but we can't cut Rudolph before the draft and create a big need. Rudolph is serviceable, but can definitely be improved upon.

12 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I absolutely agree, but we can't cut him before the draft as someone else had said earlier. If we find a TE to pair with Morgan in the draft, that's great, but we can't cut Rudolph before the draft and create a big need. Rudolph is serviceable, but can definitely be improved upon.

TE is a big need even with Rudolph on the roster. We absolutely can cut him before the draft if the money can be used to fill other needs before the draft. It's going to be a challenge having every need filled before the draft, I don't think that's reality.

how much of a drop off would there have been with Morgan as the starter instead of Rudolph? What changes? 

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

TE is a big need even with Rudolph on the roster. We absolutely can cut him before the draft if the money can be used to fill other needs before the draft. It's going to be a challenge having every need filled before the draft, I don't think that's reality.

how much of a drop off would there have been with Morgan as the starter instead of Rudolph? What changes? 

We go into the draft with Conklin as our second TE. If we want to be a running team, you need two solid TE's. Once again, if we can replace him during the draft that's great, but I don't want Conklin as our second TE. We've also swing and missed with late round guys like Pruitt, Hodges, and it looks like Conklin. If we are going to devote early picks to the OL, I don't want to create another top 4 round need. See if you can restructure him and then cut him in camp if you know you have a suitable replacement.

Did Robison restructure early last off-season and then get cut during camp or am I mis-remembering that? If so, I could see that happening.

14 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think we will end up going into the draft with 2-3 positions with no decent starting options. That's fine. Can't fill every hole in one offseason. We're not as close as once thought.

They're closer than you seem to suggest.  Every team has holes.  There are still less on this team than most...it's just that the offensive line is one of the more important ones where you don't want to have them.  And even still, I don't think they are that far away.  Fix one of the guard spots at minimum and have the C and RTs get stronger, they are going to be light-years better than they were this year.  

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They're closer than you seem to suggest.  Every team has holes.  There are still less on this team than most...it's just that the offensive line is one of the more important ones where you don't want to have them.  And even still, I don't think they are that far away.  Fix one of the guard spots at minimum and have the C and RTs get stronger, they are going to be light-years better than they were this year.  

Add in a true offensive line coach, as well. 

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Assuming the players under contract for 2019, I see major issues with the following positions:

TE

LG

C

RG

DT

LB

I won't comment on QB since it won't be addressed in 2019.

I think its safe to assume that one of Barr or Richardson return, so you can cross off one of those needs on defense. 

That leaves five holes but we can assume that Elflein is assumed the starter for 2019, undeservedly. 

So four needs. If the Vikes end up making the right moves salary wise, I think they will be able to afford one mid level FA contract, say for $6-9 million.

So that leaves three legit needs going into the draft. I'd assume that those first two picks end up starters so you may have one position with a holdover starting (Tom Compton at LG, Eric Wilson at LB or Jaleel Johnson at DT). If we're forced to start a holdover, I'd rather that player be on an affordable contract (under $2m).

I haven't factored in the real possibility that the DL could fall apart with age, such as Joseph or Griffen falling off a cliff. There's no legit backup plan for either. Weatherly doesn't look like a 10-12 sack per year player like Griffen was, the defense needs that to get back to 2017 form.

The ability to fill those 3 needs highlighted can be improved by gaining an additional 2nd round pick, say by trading an extra CB or less likely, Barr. I get that being strong at CB is crucial but we've got four potential starters on the boundary in Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes and Hill to go with a very good slot CB in Alexander. Has to be something to consider if you're Spielman, even if Zimmer wants to hoard CBs.

Archived