2018-2019 Offseason Thread (Season Concludes)

gopherwrestler

43 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Get a brand new offensive coaching staff.

Move on from Remmers, Sendejo and Rudolph. Take the cap savings.

Figure out who to keep between Barr and Richardson. Both have had their moments and struggles.

Build the OL through the draft.

Start evaluating QB options because Cousins isn't the answer. 

It is impossible to start evaluating QB options, Cousins has a guaranteed contract, one is not going to just release him as still pay him all that money.   I agree though he might not be the best option but that is what they decided on sadly.  It is odd to have him as the QB 'leader' of the team yet certain teammates obviously do not respect him because he has no pedigree behind him or success.  We signed Kendricks but honestly I would rather have Barr than Kendricks, Eric Wilson recently has shown more toughness than Kendricks has at times.  But the DT spot is 2nd biggest need outside of OL I say.

50 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Worst part about it all, we would at least have a shot and playing the Bears next week if we made a field goal against the Packers, or didn’t have the disaster against the Bills

True but honestly the Viking players knew if they won they would play the Bears right?  So really what is better, lose to the Bears now or lose to them in the Playoffs?  With that DL the Vikings had no chance against this Bears team.  The lack of physical play by the Vikings just simply has to be addressed on both OL and DL.

20 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Is it too much of an overreaction to say it’s time for us to move on from Zimmer? This team still just doesn’t “get up” for big games and his management of the game is far from superb. 

We have the pieces on defense for a new coordinator to come in and play with, but t get the top of offensive mind that I think we need in here... you’re probably going to have to hire him is the head coach. 

It's hard to say he's a good head coach but he's a great defensive mind. It doesn't seems like he does the HC things well on game day and he doesn't seem to surround himself with good assistant coaches to help scheme. He's had two very bad hires on offense in Turner and DeFilippo. Shurmur was a good find, most had him written off. I don't think Stefanski is the right man for the job.

Zimmer is just screwed as a defensive minded head coach. His offensive coaching staff will always get purged if they are successful.

Were basically what the Cincinatti Bengals have been over the years, relevant but never great and can't get up for big games. Both teams have a Mediocre head coach and QB that's carried by a brilliant defense. That's good enough for a majority of today's NFL owners. I don't think anything happens to Zimmer or Spielman, yet.

But looking at Spielmans QB failures: Ponder, Teddy, Bradford and Cousins. That's three QBs that required a first round pick and one fully guaranteed FA pickup. That is where the biggest issue lies with this team.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m curious as to where you pulled that from?

QBs are the leader of the football team usually correct?  Hard to be a full on leader when you just got here not even a year ago.  Not to mention hard to get respect in a locker room in a short time when you have no proven track record of success in the NFL or winning championships in the NFL.  So that for one but just look at the WR and QB reactions in this game alone, he clearly still needs some time to build solid relationships with a lot of these guys and that is just on the offensive side, much less on the defense which needs some work also.  He is an odd QB, not easily liked and more easily dislike I would say and that was one negative about him I thought when we brought him in.  But sure it is not all his fault but getting 4000 yards passing means nothing when you lose, he did that on Washington and they kicked him out of town for it...

I see Tom Brady freaking out at WRs on the sidelines sometimes, he is an All time great QB and a Hall of Famer soon to be.  Cousins doing it in this game against the Bears, yeah not quite the same.  Brady has the track record to react that way and talk that way and lead that way if he wants.  Cousins to me is not anywhere near that level of course.  Mind you also he did not show that type of interaction and intensity to a WR conversation all season till this game...  It was odd I will say that much.

One reason I hope we stay with Zimmer is the fact that we are in "win now" mode, so any coaching hire would probably reflect that line of thinking. I don't think we'd go after a young, creative offensive mind, I think we would target someone with a lot of NFL experience. I'd rather keep Zimmer for another year than end up with a John Fox or Jeff Fisher because we think they have the experience to help a veteran team succeed.

- Zimmer let go

- Hire the offensive minded HC 

- let him choose the OC

- Edwards run the defense

- move on from Rudolph, Remmers, Senjao, Treadwell, Richardson? Murray?

- keep Barr

- draft 2 OGs (high)

- draft a QB

- draft a burner WR 

We have 2 more years in this window, and we'll have a lighter schedule next year (of course).

While this season was disappointing, I don't think that Spielman, Zim, or Kirk should be given up on just yet. Spielman has to focus on the o-line in the 2019 draft, and I agree that we need a new speedy, reliable 3rd receiver. Most of the rest of the roster is very well constructed. We have at least two more years of Cousins, and with some stability at OC and the o-line it isn't impossible to imagine his best years being yet to come. Zimmer isn't perfect, but no head coach is. He holds himself, his coaches, and players accountable and I LOVE that he plays the guys that deserve to play no matter their draft status. I'm looking forward to an exciting off-season. We need to clear some cap space and resign a few guys. I think we could save money without sacrificing performance by moving on from Compton, Remmers, Latavius, Everson, and Sandejo. Hopefully get a guy or two to restructure to save some cap space (Rudy, Xavier, Smith?). Doing that should free up enough cap to sign both Richardson and Barr. Then draft well and fill the roster with inexpensive free agents. Like I've said since Hank Stram's Chiefs matriculated the ball down the field leading to our 1st Super Bowl loss, "wait until next year"!

6 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Good Lord no.

Want NOTHING to do with him. Too big of an ego to be a #3 option and be fine with it.

Probably true. Zimmer would be sick of him but the second week of training camp. Just trying to look at potential options.

Archived