2018-2019 Offseason Thread (Season Concludes)

gopherwrestler

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Who wants to go be OC for Zimmer?

He pointed finger at his last OC and fired him in season, kinda forgot offense carried team in early games when defense was bad.  Didn't point finger at D then.

You have to be perfect or HC won't back you and will blame you. 

And he might be a lame duck.  Pass. 

The OC we had last season was so successful working with Zimmer that he is now the head coach of the New York Giants.  Let's not forget that.

Tampa Bay fired Lovie Smith rather than lose their OC.  Turns our their OC or their QB wasn't that good so it didn't work out, but they probably had right idea. Defensive HC seems wrong way to go in today's NFL. 

Bears lost Gase who looked good and were stuck with Fox. They probably would have took a switch given the choice or the guts to make that call.  

Easier to start over on defense than it is on offense. 

4 minutes ago, whitehops said:

first of all, people saying zimmer or spielman will get fired tomorrow are insane. spielman has constructed one of the more complete rosters in the league and gotten the team over the hump of paying their young talent.

and people talking about zimmer being fired are just using selective memory. this team HAS won big games under him but they've also lost big games; it's not like we've lost every critical game. we've also had a top 10 defense the past three seasons, top 5 the last two years. with even an average offense that's good enough to make the playoffs. 

for whatever game-day weaknesses you think zimmer might have, it's being overlooked that he's built a culture that has made minnesota a free agent destination (richardson, iloka, tom johnson, newman, etc.) and has allowed us to keep our young studs (namely diggs and hunter) on discounted contracts. 

honestly cousins really worries me if we plan to contend the next two years. his body language today was brutal. he seemed tense at the best of times and had multiple freakouts (at cook, diggs and thielen) whenever something went wrong. that coupled with the reports of him being super meticulous and trying to be perfect all the time really paints a picture of an individual who can't handle stress well and won;t be able to handle the pressure of big games. 

Like I said, start evaluating QBs in the 2019 draft. If the right one is there at 18, you have to pull the trigger. I think there's enough tape on Cousins to know what kind of QB you're going to get. If that rookie has to sit for a year or two, so be it. If the Vikes have to eat a bunch of dead money in 2021 but can potentially play a QB with better upside who has sat on the bench for a year, that's fine. I'm sure KC doesn't regret the move they made for Mahomes. 

4 minutes ago, whitehops said:

and people talking about zimmer being fired are just using selective memory. this team HAS won big games under him but they've also lost big games; it's not like we've lost every critical game. we've also had a top 10 defense the past three seasons, top 5 the last two years. with even an average offense that's good enough to make the playoffs. 

for whatever game-day weaknesses you think zimmer might have, it's being overlooked that he's built a culture that has made minnesota a free agent destination (richardson, iloka, tom johnson, newman, etc.) and has allowed us to keep our young studs (namely diggs and hunter) on discounted contracts. 

The one big game that they've won, took a miracle walk-off finish after the defense gave up a pretty substantial lead. The big game, and prime time, losses far outweigh that win. The team has a habit of coming out flat in those games, and that's partially on the players... but the players change somewhat year to year, the head coach hasn't.

This team will have no problem getting free agents to visit with the bank and TCO now both in full swing, and we've rarely had trouble getting free agents to come in here to begin with.  The culture has pretty much nothing to do with the contracts that Diggs and Hunter signed.  It's more due to good timing and forethought on behalf of our front office team.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Like I said, start evaluating QBs in the 2019 draft. If the right one is there at 18, you have to pull the trigger. I think there's enough tape on Cousins to know what kind of QB you're going to get. If that rookie has to sit for a year or two, so be it. If the Vikes have to eat a bunch of dead money in 2021 but can potentially play a QB with better upside who has sat on the bench for a year, that's fine. I'm sure KC doesn't regret the move they made for Mahomes. 

Wow.  That would be a major white flag move for 2019. 

Could pay off in 2020 ala Kansas City.  That assumes you find a potential HOF QB in middle of first round.  Not so easy.  And that rookie QB is learning same offense he will play in in 2020 like Mahomes was or you are looking at a second rookie season like Trubisky. 

These guys have that kind of job security to make that move?  I'm asking. I don't know. I would assume no. 

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Wow.  That would be a major white flag move for 2019. 

Could pay off in 2020 ala Kansas City.  That assumes you find a potential HOF QB in middle of first round.  Not so easy.  And that rookie QB is learning same offense he will play in in 2020 like Mahomes was or you are looking at a second rookie season like Trubisky. 

These guys have that kind of job security to make that move?  I'm asking. I don't know. I would assume no. 

I think making that kind of move is the only way to keep job security. Where would the Chiefs be with Alex Smith right now? The Ravens took a QB for the same reason, one can only accept mediocrity for so long, except the Bengals. 

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

The one big game that they've won, took a miracle walk-off finish after the defense gave up a pretty substantial lead. The big game, and prime time, losses far outweigh that win. The team has a habit of coming out flat in those games, and that's partially on the players... but the players change somewhat year to year, the head coach hasn't.

This team will have no problem getting free agents to visit with the bank and TCO now both in full swing, and we've rarely had trouble getting free agents to come in here to begin with.  The culture has pretty much nothing to do with the contracts that Diggs and Hunter signed.  It's more due to good timing and forethought on behalf of our front office team.

this is exactly what i mean by selective memory. in 2015 we had to go to lambeau and won that game to win the division. the next game, we reasonably did everything you could expect a team to do to win but walsh missed the chip shot. we lost that game but i think it's hard to argue that zimmer didn't have the team ready or that the players didn't show up. 

depends on what you mean by big games but we had wins against good teams last season.

it's only natural that the losses stand out more than the wins.

Zimmer gives up DC duties

Hire best OC/Staff money can buy. 

Priefer gine ASAP 

Take best trade offer (1st or second rounder) for Rhodes. Lack of availability, age, and CB depth (Waynes, Alexander, Hughes, and Hill), as well OL needs outweigh his value.

Move  on from Barr  Talent is there, but production and effort are not where they need to be  Drop off to his replacement is less than cost to keep 

Obvious veteran cuts Remmers and Sendejo  Move on from Rudolph if receiving replacement can be found in FA or draft  

Identify at least 2 potential starting OL and secure those players via draft  DL, WR3, Receiving TE,  OLB priorities in rounds 1-4  

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

I think making that kind of move is the only way to keep job security. Where would the Chiefs be with Alex Smith right now? The Ravens took a QB for the same reason, one can only accept mediocrity for so long, except the Bengals. 

Reid wasn't in any danger.  I don't think Harbaugh was.  Harbaugh won the big one so that typically gets extra rope. 

Bengals are stupid. 

You going to give Zimmer and his OC of the month the keys to developing a rookie and another 3-4 years? 

I think Zimmer is in the win now or go home zone.  Not start over with a rookie. 

16 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Again I'll ask, what HC candidates do you see that would be an upgrade and fit with the team as it is currently assembled? I am genuinely curious.

Wins against good teams is not what I'm referring to, because a lot of things change over the course of the season.  If we were to have played the Eagles today (or any of the last three weeks) instead of catching them when we did, do you think we still beat them?  When the chips are all on the table, this team folds more than they take home the pot.  I did forget the game against Green Bay, but again, there was pretty much no offense that showed up that game (the defense did do it's job, though).

All I'm trying to say is that it's worth the discussion, does Zimmer ever get this team over the hump; with the talent we have on offense (yes there's a lack of talent on the offensive line) this team should win 10 games every year with a Zimmer defense. Or, will it take moving on from Zimmer, bringing in an offensive minded head coach that can do things his way without fear of reprisal from a HC to finally see some sustained success on offense.

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Wins against good teams is not what I'm referring to, because a lot of things change over the course of the season.  If we were to have played the Eagles today (or any of the last three weeks) instead of catching them when we did, do you think we still beat them?  When the chips are all on the table, this team folds more than they take home the pot.  I did forget the game against Green Bay, but again, there was pretty much no offense that showed up that game (the defense did do it's job, though).

All I'm trying to say is that it's worth the discussion, does Zimmer ever get this team over the hump; with the talent we have on offense (yes there's a lack of talent on the offensive line) this team should win 10 games every year with a Zimmer defense. Or, will it take moving on from Zimmer, bringing in an offensive minded head coach that can do things his way without fear of reprisal from a HC to finally see some sustained success on offense.

I'd hire Lincoln Riley as head coach and keep Zimmer on as DC and assistant head coach at his current salary. 

I wouldn't want Riley within miles of my defense. 

Or Zimmer can resign and be a free agent if he doesn't like it and I don't owe him money. 

A lot easier to find a competent to good DC working with talent than a good OC.  Gets me off the OC carousal. 

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I'd hire Lincoln Riley as head coach and keep Zimmer on as DC and assistant head coach at his current salary. 

I wouldn't want Riley within miles of my defense. 

Or Zimmer can resign and be a free agent if he doesn't like it and I don't owe him money. 

A lot easier to find a competent to good DC working with talent than a good OC.  Gets me off the OC carousal. 

But please don't actually do this.  I am a Bears fan.  Just hire some dude off street to get yelled at by Zimmer for a year as he has year long melt down. 

Archived