With the 12th pick in the 2019 NFL draft............

Golfman

2 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Who do you want at 4?  Bosa won’t be there and I’m not sure anybody else is worth the price of the trade...

Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver or Josh Allen at this point, but not so sure you aren't correct and we sit and wait. 

9 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Gotta have a dance partner. I'm not sure I'd be for that either. We need several talented players, not one but I guess it depends on free agency. 

Just remember the draft value chart is a 30 year old guideline, not the bible. It is relative to the class. Jimmy Johnson had a franchise QB to take. This class doesn't have that. Picks in this class are probably worth less.

1 minute ago, pacman5252 said:

Just remember the draft value chart is a 30 year old guideline, not the bible. It is relative to the class. Jimmy Johnson had a franchise QB to take. This class doesn't have that. Picks in this class are probably worth less.

Value is what you can get. It's a guide, nothing more or less. Most 'experts' figured we got the best of the deal with the Saints. IMO, those trades are all TBD. If we hit on their pick this year and Alexander is what we all think, then we probably did. 

3 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I'm hoping for Polite at 12.

I'll also say, I could see us trading up from the NO pick. I could see us packaging our second with the extra 1/4 to get up to the high teens for a guy the team considered at 12 who fell (kind of like with Clay and us giving up 3 2s.

Bottom line for me is we have to have land a couple of guys in free agency prior to the draft. Now that I realize I was wrong about the injury Earl Thomas had, I'd like him. I'd also like David Irving from Dalllas and another EDGE rusher. Now of Denver's or Fowler from the Rams. I'd be for getting Jesse James too depending on the price. 

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

Draft at the top is different each year.  Comparing late 80's and 90's to 2018 is foolish.  Hell, even since the rookie wage scale, those top 5-10 picks are more valuable in a vacuum as they cost a ton less to pay those players now vs then

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

30 year old guideline? It’s a done deal for Gruden then.

I wouldn’t do it at this point, we have too many needs. I’d be more apt to trade down.

Capture.PNG

[source]: https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/4/23/15398184/2017-nfl-draft-creating-a-brand-new-nfl-draft-value-trade-chart

Here's an evidence-based chart, built using only trades since the 2011 CBA. I know others have made similar attempts. GMs have said that they have also updated charts now that comp-picks are trade eligible. Also, early picks aren't going to follow the chart well because it has a lot more to do with who the actual players are.

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Draft at the top is different each year.  Comparing late 80's and 90's to 2018 is foolish.  Hell, even since the rookie wage scale, those top 5-10 picks are more valuable in a vacuum as they cost a ton less to pay those players now vs then

Well I agree comparing the 80s/90s to today is foolish. That was the meaning of my post. Every year is different. Just like in fantasy, their are tiers and value is in the eye of beholder.

With that said, I don't necessarily agree the picks are worth more today. For a few reasons

- in particular. this class doesn't have a QB.

- After the last CBA, teams have less development time.

- There is so much money to go around today that teams aren't crammed like they were even 10 years ago. Look at the cap space by team

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Detroit is 16th in cap room with 38 million. Only 6 teams have under 20m in space.

4 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Capture.PNG

[source]: https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/4/23/15398184/2017-nfl-draft-creating-a-brand-new-nfl-draft-value-trade-chart

Here's an evidence-based chart, built using only trades since the 2011 CBA. I know others have made similar attempts. GMs have said that they have also updated charts now that comp-picks are trade eligible. Also, early picks aren't going to follow the chart well because it has a lot more to do with who the actual players are.

I think this looks more accurate (better than the JJ one). It is still just a guideline, since ever draft is different, but a better guideline.

Archived