With the 12th pick in the 2019 NFL draft............

Golfman

3 hours ago, GWH87 said:

Zero players from Alabama

Is that like saying don't draft a Tedford QB because they always fail in the NFL (which WAS largely true before Aaron Rodgers) ?

No need to rule out Alabama in my mind, just bear in mind the overall talent on that team when you evaluate prospects.

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Is that like saying don't draft a Tedford QB because they always fail in the NFL (which WAS largely true before Aaron Rodgers) ?

No need to rule out Alabama in my mind, just bear in mind the overall talent on that team when you evaluate prospects.

Agreed. I’d also like to add, when you put the volume of players Bama has in the nfl, you will have a lot of busts. There are many good Bama players.

7 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Name the last play from Bama besides Julio that's been worth a 1st or 2nd round pick for that matter?

They function great within the system but once they are on their own it becomes a train wreck.

14 hours ago, Golfman said:

It will be interesting there are three teams ahead of us that need QBs and it is a very bad year for drafting a QB. If you're Tampa can you go into next year paying Jameis Winston 20 million dollars? Then you have the Giants and Jags both in need of a QB, one may not want to admit it again however. 

I see one or more of them forcing themselves to fall in love with a QB and over drafting the guy. 

This happens every year.  Plus one or two goofy GMs will overreach and take some kid none of the draft gurus considered worth a first round pick so one of the top EDGE guys will drop into our lap.  Plus we have the Saints' #1 pick.  This will be the highest pick we've had since we took Raji in 2009.  In that year we also traded back in and got Clay.  Let's hope this draft is just as productive.

7 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This seems eminently reasonable. I saw a mock that had us picking the Alabama safety, though, with our first pick. That easily could be an example of a player benefiting from the play of the seven in front of him. Ha ha. 

5 minutes ago, Pugger said:

...This will be the highest pick we've had since we took Raji in 2009.  In that year we also traded back in and got Clay.  Let's hope this draft is just as productive.

Agree with your point overall, but it’s sad that that story about Raji and Clay had a happier beginning than ending. 

8 minutes ago, GWH87 said:

Name the last play from Bama besides Julio that's been worth a 1st or 2nd round pick for that matter?

They function great within the system but once they are on their own it becomes a train wreck.

Minkah Fitzpatrick, DaRon Payne, Calvin Ridley and Rashaan Evans all had good to great rookie years. 

Marlon Humphrey, Derrick Henry, Jonathan Allen, OJ Howard, Ryan Kelly, Ashawn Robinson, Jaran Reed, CJ Mosely, Landon Collins, Amari Cooper. 

That's a lot of good/promising players in just the last couple years...

3 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Minkah Fitzpatrick, DaRon Payne, Calvin Ridley and Rashaan Evans all had good to great rookie years. 

Marlon Humphrey, Derrick Henry, Jonathan Allen, OJ Howard, Ryan Kelly, Ashawn Robinson, Jaran Reed, CJ Mosely, Landon Collins, Amari Cooper. 

That's a lot of good/promising players in just the last couple years...

I'll pass on the promising as they all have had that, with the powerhouse they've been the resulting flame outs are outrageous. A few have their moments, but most of the list you exploded are HHCD clones that draw rave reviews for a season or so at most. 

We are looking for long term results with these picks, I'd happily be wrong about this but like i said first outside of Julio there isn't one I'd draft in the top 50 picks.

14 hours ago, Howler said:

Devin White. LSU. If he's there. BPA.

14 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I would not be unhappy with White, but I will be looking for edge or OT at #12. 

Without reading past the first page (yet)....

I really, really like White.  I think he could really impact that defense as it already has a solid line in front of him.

That being said, he would be a consolation prize for me at #12.  I think it is 50/50 whether or not Ferrell is there.  He's the guy I want.  I'd even move a second or third to go get him.  When I put on tape (highlight tape) of Clemson players, Ferrell pops out at me, like he makes others better.

I'm pretty fixated on him...and I need to get over that.  And I do like White, just unsure about #12 for him.  I can see EDGE there, OT...and there will be good corners there, I just can't stomach another corner with the first pick.

I think you could make an argument of trading down, taking White, then getting an EDGE like Sweat or Allen (Zach) with that second first round pick.  That could really, really improve the defense.  And just something to consider.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Without reading past the first page (yet)....

I really, really like White.  I think he could really impact that defense as it already has a solid line in front of him.

That being said, he would be a consolation prize for me at #12.  I think it is 50/50 whether or not Ferrell is there.  He's the guy I want.  I'd even move a second or third to go get him.  When I put on tape (highlight tape) of Clemson players, Ferrell pops out at me, like he makes others better.

I'm pretty fixated on him...and I need to get over that.  And I do like White, just unsure about #12 for him.  I can see EDGE there, OT...and there will be good corners there, I just can't stomach another corner with the first pick.

I think you could make an argument of trading down, taking White, then getting an EDGE like Sweat or Allen (Zach) with that second first round pick.  That could really, really improve the defense.  And just something to consider.

If you watch White's tape, ballcarriers just disappear under his grasp. That's what really stood out. His backside pursuit and tackling.

1 minute ago, Howler said:

If you watch White's tape, ballcarriers just disappear under his grasp. That's what really stood out. His backside pursuit and tackling.

I love how he hits.  Guys go backwards.  And he blitzes...quickly.  He has range to cover, too.

I'm a pretty big fan of Martinez, pairing White with him would be pretty amazing, to me.

I'm unsure about using the 12'th pick on him, is all I'm saying.  MLB still isn't a premier position, but it does impact a defense.  So maybe the needle is going the other way with those guys.

I just have a hard time thinking that he will be BPA at #12...lots of good corners, couple OT's, lots of DL and some really nice EDGE kids.

What we need is a riser at EDGE to push Ferrell down.  And a couple QB's to start the climb up the charts.

12 minutes ago, GWH87 said:

I'll pass on the promising as they all have had that, with the powerhouse they've been the resulting flame outs are outrageous. A few have their moments, but most of the list you exploded are HHCD clones that draw rave reviews for a season or so at most. 

We are looking for long term results with these picks, I'd happily be wrong about this but like i said first outside of Julio there isn't one I'd draft in the top 50 picks.

To say all Alabama draft picks are tainted is just silly, they put out a lot of NFL players and any college team doing that is bound to some busts. 

They have several good prospects again this year that will/could go in the top 50 in Q Williams, Jonah Williams, Mack Wilson, Irv Smith, Piersbacher, Deonte Thompson, Raekwon Davis and Damien Harris. I'd  think any team to come away with a combination of those players in the top 50 would be very satisfied. 

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I love how he hits.  Guys go backwards.  And he blitzes...quickly.  He has range to cover, too.

I'm a pretty big fan of Martinez, pairing White with him would be pretty amazing, to me.

I'm unsure about using the 12'th pick on him, is all I'm saying.  MLB still isn't a premier position, but it does impact a defense.  So maybe the needle is going the other way with those guys.

I just have a hard time thinking that he will be BPA at #12...lots of good corners, couple OT's, lots of DL and some really nice EDGE kids.

What we need is a riser at EDGE to push Ferrell down.  And a couple QB's to start the climb up the charts.

I agree that MLB is not a premier position anymore with the emphasis on the passing game, but his tools are so tantalizing. He's graded higher than Roquan Smith, according to some reports.

Just now, ReadyToThump said:

I'm not going to disagree that they've had their duds. But to say all Alabama draft picks are tainted is just silly, they put out a lot of NFL players and any college team doing that is bound to some busts. 

They have several good prospects again this year that will/could go in the top 50 in Q Williams, Jonah Williams, Mack Wilson, Raekwon Davis and Damien Harris. I'd  think any team to come away with a combination of those players in the top 50 would be very satisfied. 

Agree to disagree my friend, none of those guys are picks I'd want in Green & Gold. Did you watch how out of sorts that defense was in the second half of the Orange Bowl? It's system based success, not individual talent that thrives by itself. Just like the Tedford argument, there are outliers in every situation but I wouldn't dip into that pot again.

2 minutes ago, Howler said:

I agree that MLB is not a premier position anymore with the emphasis on the passing game, but his tools are so tantalizing. He's graded higher than Roquan Smith, according to some reports.

So...in all fairness...I've only seen highlight tape of White.  ...and Smith.

What I like about White is his frame.  He's thick in the butt and legs.  Lots of power there.  I thought Roquan was a little light.  Both can fly.  But one sure hits with better leverage and looks quicker on the blitz.  White.

He (White) is one of my favorite prospects that I've watched.  I'd be singing a different tune about him and #12 if GB were to acquire a high end edge in free agency.  

Archived