GDT 2018: Wilcard Weekend - LA Chargers vs Baltimore Ravens - Sunday 1:05PM

drd23

14 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

True, but I think we kind of caught them off guard and just hit them in the mouth. While they were playing to win, we were playing for blood. I’m not sure we hit them in the mouth quite so hard this time. Not because we won’t try, but because they will be ready for the physicality. Also they have the one defense in the AFC that completely scares me in how they can stop us.

They have Derwin James to lock down Mark Andrews in man coverage, guys that can get to the QB with only four. Speed to contain the edge. A secondary that actually looks good in zone coverage to force Lamar into high accuracy passes (not that he can’t hit those passes).

But I see your point. I said “our only chance”. Which seemingly means we stand no chance in this game. I just think this game is completely 50/50.

Is Derwin James spying LJ or locking down Andrews (that didn’t happen last time)? Can only be one. 

7 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Is Derwin James spying LJ or locking down Andrews (that didn’t happen last time)? Can only be one. 

Last game Derwin James started the first half off as their QB spy but then Andrews ate and so the Chargers adjusted in the second half. They then manned James over Andrews/Hurst (he seemed to alternate but kept mainly to Andrews) and seemingly ran zone looks with their LBers to keep their eyes on Jackson at all times. They then relied on the stout nature of their DTs to close up the inside rushing lanes (which they did). This was their most affective strategy.

Now Hurst’s health/endurance (returning from that back injury) has improved with each passing game and is playing at an arguable elite level in run blocking. So if he can continue to be a pull demon and Skura doesn’t stink up the joint, getting inside run success from our guys just winning their 1on1 battles within the interior, then that too would help to open up our offense.

Slants to Crabtree, read and release routes to Hurst into the flats for YAC, and interior wins is what we’ll need to do to get the Chargers off balance for them to start panicking, lose trust in their assignments, and then allow us to alternate between run the football down their throats and executing intermediate pass plays.

We’ll see how it goes. See how they decide to play us.

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If I'm a betting man, I'm taking the under there.

Never understood gambling terms. I’m assuming by “over/under” that refers to the total amount the house is projecting to be scored in the game? And the under would refer to the combined total being less than 42 with the over being more than 42? Do I have this right?

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

Never understood gambling terms. I’m assuming by “over/under” that refers to the total amount the house is projecting to be scored in the game? And the under would refer to the combined total being less than 42 with the over being more than 42? Do I have this right?

Bingo.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm not worried about it. We usually guard Tight Ends pretty good.:(

1) I doubt he'll be at even 80% this soon after his ACL rupture
2) Have you forgotten already that CJ Mosley is good in coverage? :P

Weather actually looks almost too good next weekend right now, showing 55 and sunny. A little bit colder or wetter probably plays to our advantage a little bit given the Chargers are a SoCal team playing an early morning game (for them), anything to make them a little more uncomfortable is good in my eyes... then again their signature win this year came on the road in Kansas City in what I assume was a chilly-ish atmosphere, so maybe it doesn't matter that much. 

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/06/nfl-combine-ravens-lamar-jackson-40-time-chargers-scout-receiver

^^^I forgot it was the Chargers that started that whole thing.

I expect Lamar to be extra motivated for this one.

I hope the team is hyping this up as extra motivation for everyone. We've already had the Weddle Revenge game. Time for the Lamar QB Revenge Game.

Archived