GDT 2018: Wilcard Weekend - LA Chargers vs Baltimore Ravens - Sunday 1:05PM

drd23

1 minute ago, M.10.E said:

We need to run an offense with the same base concepts as the Bears. Spread em out and try to get playmakers in space. Lamar scramble if no one is open.

I don't think Marty is anywhere near as good or creative as Nagy is

9 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I am the only one that didn't even realise Brandon Williams was active today?  He has fallen so far so quickly

All you have to do is look at the defensive front pre-snap to see who is playing. 

The Chargers ran for 89 yards on 33 carries, good for 2.7 Y/C. I cannot fathom why anyone is bringing up our top run defender on a day like today. 

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Good game you guys. I definitely aged at least twenty years during the last 6 minutes.

Side question: Is Weddle going to be a Raven next year?

The way you guys controlled the game, it would have been such a Charger'esk move if you ended up losing. You guys won and deserved the victory. Took advantage of almost all mistakes we made and had adjusted well from the previous game, which we could say that we didn't manage to do.

I have no soft spot for Rivers, but I can root for that defense you guys put on the field, and I hope you get a W in foxborough.

2 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

All you have to do is look at the defensive front pre-snap to see who is playing. 

The Chargers ran for 89 yards on 33 carries, good for 2.7 Y/C. I cannot fathom why anyone is bringing up our top run defender on a day like today. 

I think you're taking his comment a little too seriously....and Michael Pierce is our top Run Defender FWIW.

3 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I don't think Marty is anywhere near as good or creative as Nagy is

What we did today on offense didn't impress anyone, but lets see what they do going into a season where Lamar is the clear cut starter.

I think we all want to see a different offense where we play the game a little bit different. Mostly because what Lamar can do with his legs is something we want him to be able to do for a long time. The less hits he takes and the more he can use his scramble ability to extend plays, the more we will have an offense which is more difficult to defend.

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

Social media, where else?

Thought it might be at the press conference.

Lamar, the oline and Marty takes the heat today, and it is well deserved. I am still somewhat surprised that we never came up with a way to move the ball on the ground

4 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I think you're taking his comment a little too seriously....and Michael Pierce is our top Run Defender FWIW.

Disagree complete. If Pierce is the best run defender, why do they give Williams so much more responsibilities in the run game? 

Look at how they are lined up. Williams is surrounded by C, G, and T with no support. When Pierce is force to play that role, he is blown away. Pierce can't play gap control like Williams, not even close. 

Just now, AngusMcFife said:

Disagree complete. If Pierce is the best run defender, why do they give Williams so much more responsibilities in the run game? 

Look at how they are lined up. Williams is surrounded by C, G, and T with no support. When Pierce is force to play that role, he is blown away. Pierce can't play gap control like Williams, not even close. 

Literally none of that is true. 

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Literally none of that is true. 

Ok keep on bashing Williams if it makes you feel good, then.

But I've seen enough snaps to know the Ravens base defense, and how they play gap control on 1st and 2nd down. If you want to educate me, go ahead. 

Just now, AngusMcFife said:

Ok keep on bashing Williams if it makes you feel good, then.

But I've seen enough snaps to know the Ravens base defense, and how they play gap control on 1st and 2nd down. If you want to educate me, go ahead. 

cgzyk6g0l0syq9dbplcb.jpg

I'm fried right now, only got like 4 hours of sleep before the game, but I don't mind "educating" you later. I've got plenty of material I can send you that should clear things up. With the season over I'll prolly tag you in the "Raven Review" thread, so be on the look out.

I may be in the minority’s here, but I still think our number one, which is to say our first round, need heading into this offseason is JJ Arcega-Whiteside. He’s a taller, faster Crabtree, with great/elite hands. Crabtree tends to get open but doesn’t always finish plays how we need him. Just based off of our history, we’ve found Marshall Yanda in the 3rd, Orlando Brown in the 3rd, Edwin Mulitalo in the 4th (?), Ricky Wagner in the 5th, etc. Hurst was undrafted and Skura was undrafted. I’m confident that if we utilize a mid round resources on C and LG we can fix the positions.

Throw in the fact that the only elite center that was available (IMO) that would’ve made me consider going center first round, Tyler Biadasz, is returning to school and I’d much rather just wait until the third round to go for a guy like Elgton Jenkins.

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I may be in the minority’s here, but I still think our number one, which is to say our first round, need heading into this offseason is JJ Arcega-Whiteside. He’s a taller, faster Crabtree, with great/elite hands. Crabtree tends to get open but doesn’t always finish plays how we need him. Just based off of our history, we’ve found Marshall Yanda in the 3rd, Orlando Brown in the 3rd, Edwin Mulitalo in the 4th (?), Ricky Wagner in the 5th, etc. Hurst was undrafted and Skura was undrafted. I’m confident that if we utilize a mid round resources on C and LG we can fix the positions.

Throw in the fact that the only elite center that was available (IMO) that would’ve made me consider going center first round, Tyler Biadasz, is returning to school and I’d much rather just wait until the third round to go for a guy like Elgton Jenkins.

I am not priding myself of being a great talent evaluator, but I would say the Colts just proved that going oline early instead of betting on finding talent later is the way to go. Atleast I like that approach rather than having a receiver who is relevant for 30-40 percent of offensive snaps.

31 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I'm fried right now, only got like 4 hours of sleep before the game, but I don't mind "educating" you later. I've got plenty of material I can send you that should clear things up. With the season over I'll prolly tag you in the "Raven Review" thread, so be on the look out.

No worries. I'm a bit salty, as many other posters may be as well. But picking on Williams is a pet peeve of mine, because it's very hard to argue. He generates almost no stats, but many great DTs in NFL history had a similar statistical profile (Wilfork, Hampton).

However, now Williams is not playing NT and controlling A gaps like those DTs, but rather the alignment is shifted and Williams controls the A/B gaps on the weak side. So there is no good comp because he plays a pretty unique position, even in 3-4 alignments. Unlike NTs who are flanked by other D-Lineman, Williams is more exposed, and asked to cover more space. 

A fun discussion to have in the offseason, I guess. 

Archived