GDT 2018: Wilcard Weekend - LA Chargers vs Baltimore Ravens - Sunday 1:05PM

drd23

36 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Apparently the Chargers knew what plays we were running based on formation and knew if we were passing/running based off of Stanley's feet. LOL that's high school level stuff.

I really thought that players in the NFL know how to mask that. I once covered a receiver where I could tell whether it was a run or pass play by the way his stance and hand placement. That should happen at an amateur level, not on the highest level. Think I saw something about the Chargers could see it from the olines stance.

3 minutes ago, Danand said:

I really thought that players in the NFL know how to mask that. I once covered a receiver where I could tell whether it was a run or pass play by the way his stance and hand placement. That should happen at an amateur level, not on the highest level. Think I saw something about the Chargers could see it from the olines stance.

Yup, it's in an Athletic article but somebody posted snippets on Russell Street forums. Makes sense because they were blowing up our plays before they even happened. That's inexcusable at the NFL level.

Yep. There was another line in the article where Chargers players said, "it was as if Baltimore changed nothing from the first game." Which is just inexcusable. All week we talked about how we needed to add wrinkles on both sides of the ball given the Chargers saw us so recently, and I think we all took it as a given that we would at least try some new things - with the real question being whether those adjustments/changes would work. But it looks like Harbaugh/Marty really just thought the same gameplan and were completely caught off guard when the Chargers were ready this time. 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:09 PM, berlin calling said:

i find it hilarious how everybody talks about how the Chargers are gonna adapt and learn from the recent game but act as if the Ravens will sit on their hands and do nothing and just trot out with the exact same game plan. 

So yeah, i agree with MR, there will be new looks on offense i am sure.

Buddy we did just that. Man, we really overestimated our coaching staff apparently.

4 hours ago, berlin calling said:

sorry guys thtey showed a stat that league wide an onside kick has somewhat of 25% success rate.
i understand that it is no gimme, but...

Tucker is 0 for 12.

Harbaugh is a former ST coach and Rosburg is good at his job also.
this is just unacceptable, independent from this specific game, simple mathematics tell me Tucker should have at least converted 1, if not 4, onside kicks throughout his career.
:|

Pretty sure they made a comment about this in the Seahawks-Cowboys game, and I believe that 25% number is actually prior to the recent rule change. With the recent rule change, the overall success percentage is at less than 8%. I honestly can't remember the last time ANY team successfully executed an on-side kick, so that's definitely not something I fault our coaching staff for.

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Yep. There was another line in the article where Chargers players said, "it was as if Baltimore changed nothing from the first game." Which is just inexcusable. All week we talked about how we needed to add wrinkles on both sides of the ball given the Chargers saw us so recently, and I think we all took it as a given that we would at least try some new things - with the real question being whether those adjustments/changes would work. But it looks like Harbaugh/Marty really just thought the same gameplan and were completely caught off guard when the Chargers were ready this time. 

The saddest part is, the chargers never once changed their defensive formation. Even when Jackson started to air it out towards the end of the fourth, they still remained in their single high safety/cover 1 look the entire game. They literally dared us to throw and we stubbornly stuck to the same exact game plan as last time and failed time and time again. At the very least I thought they would adjust at halftime, like they had shown to do this past year, but nope. I honestly have no clue what the coaching staff was thinking going into this game.

4 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

The saddest part is, the chargers never once changed their defensive formation. Even when Jackson started to air it out towards the end of the fourth, they still remained in their single high safety/cover 1 look the entire game. They literally dared us to throw and we stubbornly stuck to the same exact game plan as last time and failed time and time again. At the very least I thought they would adjust at halftime, like they had shown to do this past year, but nope. I honestly have no clue what the coaching staff was thinking going into this game.

Yup, if we're going to lose at least lose trying to attack their defense. We just kept ramming our head against the wall. Didn't open the playbook up until it was way too late.

3 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Apparently the Chargers knew what plays we were running based on formation and knew if we were passing/running based off of Stanley's feet. LOL that's high school level stuff.

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

Buddy we did just that. Man, we really overestimated our coaching staff apparently.

Couldn't agree more with you guys here. More indication to me that Marty simply must go. Inexcusable. 

On another note, the Chargers were in Dime formation (7 DB's) for basically the entire game, and Jeff Z. noted that our blocking TE's all played their lowest snaps of the season:

We were in 3 WR / 1 TE sets all game long and almost never went jumbo, despite LAC being in Dime and knowing what plays were coming and us already having those plays not work. Just....unbelievable that this was a professional coaching staff refusing to make SIMPLE adjustments.

42 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Going 3 wide then not passing the ball for 70% of the game is a bold strategy.

Classic "out thinking yourself" situation. And it's not even like we tried to run to setup the pass. We straight up ran to setup the run AND STILL tried to do it in 3WR/1TE/1RB personnel against a dime defense lol

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Classic "out thinking yourself" situation. And it's not even like we tried to run to setup the pass. We straight up ran to setup the run AND STILL tried to do it in 3WR/1TE/1RB personnel against a dime defense lol

I wonder if this really was a case of out-thinking themselves where maybe they did want to go more heavy to start, but when they saw all the DBs on the field, opted to try and spread them out to open up running lanes? I don't know lol

10 hours ago, berlin calling said:

sorry guys thtey showed a stat that league wide an onside kick has somewhat of 25% success rate.
i understand that it is no gimme, but...

The onside kick conversation rate used to be about 21%, however this year since the "no running starts" rule it is more like 8%  IIRC there have only been 4 successful attempts this year 

EDIT: As RTID already said. I probably should have just read the rest of the thread and saved myself the 20 secs it took to look it up for confirmation xD

This will deal a significant blow to our "The Team No One Wants To Play" moniker. Although if we ended up winning on that last drive, considering what the Charger's players said, then LA's staff would be due for some major overhauls themselves. Not taking advantage of such an inept approach by us would be horrifying as well.

All we can do is hope this embarrassment forces some positive change. Win or Learn.

Archived