Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

34 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Was still hoping the Titans would change their mind and reach out to him but guess it’s not meant to be

On the bright side Texans Colts Jags are not on the list 

I feel like Houston is still going to get paid very well.  Maybe even $10 million per. 

16 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I feel like “played sparingly” really downplays his role. He played in half the snaps, which is really all you want out of a veteran situational pass rusher that you’re looking to keep fresh.

Admittedly, there’s no argument that he’s a more important signing than Saffold, but given the state of the roster, it’s tough to downplay how badly we needed an effective edge rusher, even if he’s not a three down player.

I don't care if he is 47 years old (not to far from it.lol)  But if he can still get pressure and get 7 sacks playing a few downs a game, I'm good with that. More than we got out of younger guys for years.  If his age is the biggest gripe, I can live with that.

I mean Brady/Brees are old and still produce. I doubt anyone would have batted an eye if we signed either on of those guys.  Production is production. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I don't care if he is 47 years old (not to far from it.lol)  But if he can still get pressure and get 7 sacks playing a few downs a game, I'm good with that. More than we got out of younger guys for years.  If his age is the biggest gripe, I can live with that.

I mean Brady/Brees are old and still produce. I doubt anyone would have batted an eye if we signed either on of those guys.  Production is production. 

Exactly I said the same thing damn how old you are can you produce. 

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I lol’d at the biggest acquisition being a 37 yr old guy who played sparingly last season. PFF always bringing the lols

That's because their little metrics show that Wake was a beast in the last five games of last season.  Something about the percentage of snaps he played that resulted in a pressure on the QB or something.

What it looks like to me is that they're really overvaluing someone who's now a situational pass rusher because he can still rush a QB.  It's important that we have that, so I'm glad they got him, but yeah, it ain't that good a signing.  Still, I think everyone needs to calm down about still having needs til after the draft.  If we go into the season with our pass rushers as just Landry, Wake, Correa, and Finch, then we've got reason to worry.

As far as Houston, I say leave him be.  He'll be expensive, and we don't need to be trying to get out of two old pass rusher contracts in two years.  With additional help on the interior D-line and another rookie added on the outside, we should have a sufficient pass rush.  Couple that with Butler going into his second year with the team, Adoree Jackson looking good,  and what should be a stellar group of linebackers, we can afford a mediocre pass rush.

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That's because their little metrics show that Wake was a beast in the last five games of last season.  Something about the percentage of snaps he played that resulted in a pressure on the QB or something.

What it looks like to me is that they're really overvaluing someone who's now a situational pass rusher because he can still rush a QB.  It's important that we have that, so I'm glad they got him, but yeah, it ain't that good a signing.  Still, I think everyone needs to calm down about still having needs til after the draft.  If we go into the season with our pass rushers as just Landry, Wake, Correa, and Finch, then we've got reason to worry.

As far as Houston, I say leave him be.  He'll be expensive, and we don't need to be trying to get out of two old pass rusher contracts in two years.  With additional help on the interior D-line and another rookie added on the outside, we should have a sufficient pass rush.  Couple that with Butler going into his second year with the team, Adoree Jackson looking good,  and what should be a stellar group of linebackers, we can afford a mediocre pass rush.

Adoree still scares me, he wasn’t bad but he didn’t show improvements on his weaknesses from his rookie yr. his play was pretty much the same. 

23 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Word is we actually have over 31 mill in available cap space 🤔.. mane if we don’t sign a nother DT or LB I’m be pissed

So that was before Vaccaro and Tannehill's contracts were on the books (Tye Smith as well, but he's probably getting the vet min of 720, so doesn't move the cap needle).

I just looked at Spotrac and they have updated us today... to 25M in cap room... still not accounting for Vaccaro (will probably end up being about 4M?).

Spotrac (and OTC now too) are accounting for Tannehill at 7M.  I know Schefter reported the Dolphins were taking 5M of that... but I hadn't seen it confirmed elsewhere... and why I mentioned a few times, "if Schefter's reports are true)

OTC has us at 23M... even less than Spotrac. 

So once Vaccaro's numbers are confirmed, it looks like we have about 19-21M or so (not the 24-25M or so we thought we'd have had Schefter's reports correct).

Having said that, I still understand the need for a proven backup, but I like the trade for Tannehill slightly less... and paying the backup 7M is more damning of Mariota than I originally thought (had we only been on the hook for 2M for Tannehill this year). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

So that was before Vaccaro and Tannehill's contracts were on the books (Tye Smith as well, but he's probably getting the vet min of 720, so doesn't move the cap needle).

I just looked at Spotrac and they have updated us today... to 25M in cap room... still not accounting for Vaccaro (will probably end up being about 4M?).

Spotrac (and OTC now too) are accounting for Tannehill at 7M.  I know Schefter reported the Dolphins were taking 5M of that... but I hadn't seen it confirmed elsewhere... and why I mentioned a few times, "if Schefter's reports are true)

OTC has us at 23M... even less than Spotrac. 

So once Vaccaro's numbers are confirmed, it looks like we have about 19-21M or so (not the 24-25M or so we thought we'd have had Schefter's reports correct).

Having said that, I still understand the need for a proven backup, but I like the trade for Tannehill slightly less... and paying the backup 7M is more damning of Mariota than I originally thought (had we only been on the hook for 2M for Tannehill this year). 

I want Muhammad Wilkerson damn it 😩

Tannehill could be getting 12 million and I still like it. Mariota is basically guaranteed to miss at least a half in 2-4 games. That's 2-4 losses with Gabbert starting guaranteed just because our QB isn't playing.

We absolutely have to have someone at QB who can play well enough to win.

Also, the biggest argument for possibly resigning Mariota, or even franchising him, if he doesn't make a major leap forward was "who are you going to replace him with". Well, now that guy is on our roster and is basically just Mariota's older brother as a player. If Mariota even closely resembles what we've seen the last two years, we let him walk and just go forward with Tannehill. 

If(when) Tannehill ends up starting because of injury, do we continue with him when Mariota comes back if he outperforms Mariota a couple games in a row? Potential lockerroom drama.

3 hours ago, TitanTuff said:

Maybe Mariota sees the writing on the wall and will take a pay cut. We could have QB by committee. Tannehill with the deep ball and Mariota with the rush. Instead of Smash and Dash, it would be Pass and Gas.

You do know Tannehill is 1 of the worst deep ball throwers in the game