Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

I think the biggest question left in the offseason is what Robinson will do at RG. Just about everywhere else we at least have a body.

WR, OLB, and D-line are all still weak, but I think we'd all agree RG is the biggest hole if the season started today.

Edited by dtait93
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

I think the biggest question left in the offseason is what Robinson will do at RG. Just about everywhere else we at least have a body.

I don't have Pamphille there.  He played well in relief last year. I think he will be given a chance to take that spot. But there is also Levin and Stienne. Developmental guys that will be given a shot.  
Mix in a draft pick and you should have a good player there when all is said and done. 

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I don't have Pamphille there.  He played well in relief last year. I think he will be given a chance to take that spot. But there is also Levin and Stienne. Developmental guys that will be given a shot.  
Mix in a draft pick and you should have a good player there when all is said and done. 

I'm fully expecting a rookie to come in and take the spot. No idea what to think about Conklin moving inside tbh...I know Robinson said he views him as a RT but some good arguments have been made here for trying him at guard. I just don't think Robinson does it. I think he thinks he was proven right for the trade up and keeping him at tackle when he earned all-pro honors considering there were a lot of people saying he's more of a guard. 

45 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I'm fully expecting a rookie to come in and take the spot. No idea what to think about Conklin moving inside tbh...I know Robinson said he views him as a RT but some good arguments have been made here for trying him at guard. I just don't think Robinson does it. I think he thinks he was proven right for the trade up and keeping him at tackle when he earned all-pro honors considering there were a lot of people saying he's more of a guard. 

I would tend to agree with KingTitan.  Between Conklin sliding over, Pamphile taking over, or a mid-round pick being able to come in and play quickly, I think you have quite a few options.

Interior D-line would be my pick for biggest need.  IIRC, Jurrell Casey was the only interior player with a sack last season, and you can't fix the outside pass rush with draft picks, period.  What you can do is bolster the interior to take pressure off the edge, and let the combo of Landry, Wake, Rookie, Correa and Finch do what it can.

In my mind, fixing the interior D-line helps with two weak spots, whereas right guard is literally the least important position on the Oline IMO and we have some options for it.

39 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I would tend to agree with KingTitan.  Between Conklin sliding over, Pamphile taking over, or a mid-round pick being able to come in and play quickly, I think you have quite a few options.

Interior D-line would be my pick for biggest need.  IIRC, Jurrell Casey was the only interior player with a sack last season, and you can't fix the outside pass rush with draft picks, period.  What you can do is bolster the interior to take pressure off the edge, and let the combo of Landry, Wake, Rookie, Correa and Finch do what it can.

In my mind, fixing the interior D-line helps with two weak spots, whereas right guard is literally the least important position on the Oline IMO and we have some options for it.

I would agree except I think we’re in a very unique situation. We need to do everything in our power to make sure the o-line is as strong as possible so Mariota has no more excuses. Levin wasn’t good when he was put in last year and I don’t think he’s any different than Kline tbh. Pamphile is interesting but Tampa let him walk for a reason, he’s awesome depth but not sure he’s a week in week out starter. Conklin’s never played guard so are we sure we want him playing guard for the first time in such a crucial season for our QB? All those are options but it’s important for this season in particular to find the best one and that’s likely in the first round of the draft.

Interior d-line is a big need but our defense overall last year was very good with it being so poor whereas our offense, especially o-line, was not. I’d elevate RG over d-line in terms of need as we currently stand, but if there’s talent on the d-line available that’s far and away better than what’s on the board for interior o-line I’m going with the former.

If it wasn’t such a critical season for us to figure out our QB I’d have d-line as the bigger need. Luckily for us, this draft class is deep in both interior o-line and d-line from what I’ve read.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

I would agree except I think we’re in a very unique situation. We need to do everything in our power to make sure the o-line is as strong as possible so Mariota has no more excuses. Levin wasn’t good when he was put in last year and I don’t think he’s any different than Kline tbh. Pamphile is interesting but Tampa let him walk for a reason, he’s awesome depth but not sure he’s a week in week out starter. Conklin’s never played guard so are we sure we want him playing guard for the first time in such a crucial season for our QB? All those are options but it’s important for this season in particular to find the best one and that’s likely in the first round of the draft.

Interior d-line is a big need but our defense overall last year was very good with it being so poor whereas our offense, especially o-line, was not. I’d elevate RG over d-line in terms of need as we currently stand, but if there’s talent on the d-line available that’s far and away better than what’s on the board for interior o-line I’m going with the former.

If it wasn’t such a critical season for us to figure out our QB I’d have d-line as the bigger need. Luckily for us, this draft class is deep in both interior o-line and d-line from what I’ve read.

That's a reasonable argument, but I'm more of the opinion that we build a team that can win when Marcus either isn't playing, or isn't playing at 100%.  You can only have an O-line be so good, and even then, he's still gonna get hit some, especially if he runs it ever.  I'd rather develop a great defense that won't demand a lot from him so when the pocket isn't there, we can just run it or allow him to throw away the ball more often.

Of course, another part of protecting him is giving him better dumpoff options for quick passes, which I think was what they were shooting for with Humphries.

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That's a reasonable argument, but I'm more of the opinion that we build a team that can win when Marcus either isn't playing, or isn't playing at 100%.  You can only have an O-line be so good, and even then, he's still gonna get hit some, especially if he runs it ever.  I'd rather develop a great defense that won't demand a lot from him so when the pocket isn't there, we can just run it or allow him to throw away the ball more often.

Of course, another part of protecting him is giving him better dumpoff options for quick passes, which I think was what they were shooting for with Humphries.

Well I mean every QB is gonna get hit no matter what but with a QB as fragile as Mariota I think it’s more important to build a dominant o-line to protect him from going down rather than it is to build a dominant d-line in case he goes down. We know we have the best chance of winning when he’s on the field so I think it’d be wise of Robinson to do everything in his power to ensure he stays on it for as many games as possible. He’s off to a good start with the Saffold signing and cutting Kline.

Keep in mind Tannehill is fragile too so it’s important we protect him as well if/when Mariota does goes out. If they both miss time we are screwed and I don’t think we’ll play it safe and rely on our defense and special teams to win games like we did last year with Gabbert if Tannehill is under center.