Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

22 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Just watched our game winning OT drive against the Eagles to get some good vibes heading into training camp, and I gotta say watching our offense from last year for the first time in several months, it's so clear that the offense was in complete disarray even though we managed to pull that game out. Receivers were a mess, Marcus was missing throws (obviously not healthy), and our interior OLine was shakey at best. I say all that to say that I'm getting really excited to see how our offense can look with major improvements at all our weak areas, a healthy Marcus, and some continuity offensively. I think it could be an exciting year offensively, but a lot of that as usual depends on Marcus' long term health throughout the season. I am a lot more confident in Tannehill as our backup than I have been in any of the previous backups though, so if Marcus was to go down again I don't think our season would necessarily be completely lost like in years past.

Yeah, agreed.  I think we have an idea of Mariota's ceiling and floor already.  His ceiling is 2016, and his floor is 2017.  Even more, I think he's been pretty consistent at what he's good at and what he's bad at.  He's bad at getting rid of the ball quickly, worse at feeling pressure, holds the ball too loosely and is therefore prone to fumbles, and very, very prone to injury.  He's also an accurate passer, great on third down, plays well in the clutch, throws incredibly well under pressure, and is a legitimate running threat.

Healthy Mariota is an above average starting QB, and borderline top 10, IMO.  However, he's almost never healthy, which has to factor into the evaluation.  I really don't get the people thinking the Titans will be like 3-13 because of Mariota when his floor isn't that low, unless he's seriously injured, in which case we have Tannehill.  Of course, I think it's equally unrealistic to think he's going to suddenly be consistently healthy a whole season, or suddenly not be a fumble liability.

Dunno where else to put this, but I had forgotten all about how this game unfolded, which is unusual for me, as for whatever reason my brain dedicates a lot of memory to the Titans games over the years. Some dark times as a Titans fan back then, but this was certainly an entertaining watch to remember how it happened.

On 7/16/2019 at 5:39 PM, Daniel said:

Yeah, agreed.  I think we have an idea of Mariota's ceiling and floor already.  His ceiling is 2016, and his floor is 2017.  Even more, I think he's been pretty consistent at what he's good at and what he's bad at.  He's bad at getting rid of the ball quickly, worse at feeling pressure, holds the ball too loosely and is therefore prone to fumbles, and very, very prone to injury.  He's also an accurate passer, great on third down, plays well in the clutch, throws incredibly well under pressure, and is a legitimate running threat.

Healthy Mariota is an above average starting QB, and borderline top 10, IMO.  However, he's almost never healthy, which has to factor into the evaluation.  I really don't get the people thinking the Titans will be like 3-13 because of Mariota when his floor isn't that low, unless he's seriously injured, in which case we have Tannehill.  Of course, I think it's equally unrealistic to think he's going to suddenly be consistently healthy a whole season, or suddenly not be a fumble liability.

I somewhat agree but I think his ceiling is slightly above 2016 due to the fact we didn’t play to his strength at all, never spread it out fast tempo, he played behind a dual rushing attack & was an above average game manager. To me his rookie year was the only year we played to his strength however we didn’t have the OL to protect him. Whiz built a passing attack around Marcus strengths.

just a random thought but i’m excited to see our linebackers this year. this is the best, most athletic group of guys i can remember us having since the good old 4-3 days of keith bulluck and david thornton. loads of potential inside and on the edge.

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I’m still not comfortable with our interior DL talent, Robinson & Vrabel are in over their head. We can’t count on Simmons this season & god forbid Casey goes down we’re screwed we have 0 inside pass rush 

Eh, I'm not that concerned.  Every team has a weakness, and the Titans' is the interior pass rush.  When everyone is healthy, it will not be a problem.  That's about all you can ask for.

That said, they might make a go at someone that gets waived on August 31.  Til then, there's not much they can do without jeopardizing another position.  Locking down guys like Byard long term should be a priority over fixing a position that will be much worse if our best player can't play.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Eh, I'm not that concerned.  Every team has a weakness, and the Titans' is the interior pass rush.  When everyone is healthy, it will not be a problem.  That's about all you can ask for.

That said, they might make a go at someone that gets waived on August 31.  Til then, there's not much they can do without jeopardizing another position.  Locking down guys like Byard long term should be a priority over fixing a position that will be much worse if our best player can't play.

I understand that but in order to beat the Colts we must sack #12

1 minute ago, TitanRedd said:

I understand that but in order to beat the Colts we must sack #12

This is true, but if Landry meets the potential we thought he had as a prospect, him and Wake should be a solid duo on the outside, with Finch helping as No. 3.  Casey is still a beast, and we'll get sacks from linebacker blitzes too.  That's something that Brown is good at and Evans was good at in college.

Then our DB group should be excellent, and if they can cover well, coverage sacks will begin to come into play.

• Like 1