Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

So, I was listening to Dan Patrick this morning, and he was talking about how Miami would be the perfect landing spot for a guy like AB and Kyler Murray because their team is bland and there aren't any faces of the franchise that can create a buzz. I started thinking about our team, and it got me thinking are we in a similar position to a Miami where we're a bland football team with no real faces of our franchise that can generate a buzz or overall interest?  Do we need to make some kind of big splash this offseason to give our franchise a shot in the arm?

I've always stated that I don't really care what the media thinks of our team or if they pay attention to us.  I just want us to win, and if we win with no national media love so be it, and I actually prefer that because every time the national media takes notice we fall apart. I've also been a big component of building through the draft and developing our guys. I think that's really how Championship teams are built. However, the Dan Patrick thing got me thinking... Are we doing our team a disservice by not making bigger attempts at bringing in premium talents such as an AB, LeVeon, or whatever other "big name" ends up becoming available? 

We've rarely been a team that has gone "big game hunting" in the offseason. Our team has always been constructed as a sum of its total parts and not based around one or two "core" guys.  The last big name acquisition we had was DeMarco, and he was amazing for us that first year.  So, I'm starting to wonder after looking at the landscape of our team if now is the time to take a calculated risk on a big name guy like an AB that wouldn't necessarily be in the norm for us, but a guy that could instantly give our Franchise that shot in the arm and ultimately give us a premium level talent that we aren't really used to having.

I don’t mind bringing in big time players so long as they’re not big time diva’s like Brown, Bell, OBJ, and Ramsey for instance.

I think bringing in a big time player just for the sake of making a splash would be counter productive. They would need to fit a need, be a culture fit (we are not the Patriots, this isn’t like adding a Moss-like personality to a locker room occupied by Brady and Bill), and be on a deal that isn’t detrimental to our future.

4 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I don’t mind bringing in big time players so long as they’re not big time diva’s like Brown, Bell, OBJ, and Ramsey for instance.

I think bringing in a big time player just for the sake of making a splash would be counter productive. They would need to fit a need, be a culture fit (we are not the Patriots, this isn’t like adding a Moss-like personality to a locker room occupied by Brady and Bill), and be on a deal that isn’t detrimental to our future.

I don’t mind bringing in Divas I want guys that are selfish & high on themselves because all those guys you just name, have all has teammates say they work the hardest they want to be great, my thing is I wouldn’t trade for them because to me elite WR don’t win Super Bowls. Other than Jerry Rice & Michael Irvin the games top WR’s doesn’t win championships. I’m not saying I don’t want them or there’s no need, I’m saying I’m not trading 2-3 1st round picks for them.. I would do it in a heartbeat for Aaron Donald or Mack or Watt in his prime, Revis or Deion Sanders 

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Crabtree being released by the Ravens. His drops suck but I’d still take him over any receiver we have outside of Davis.

Rather pass, we need speed explosiveness we have 2 possessions WR in Davis & Tajae. I want a guy that adds another element to the offense. 

10 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Rather pass, we need speed explosiveness we have 2 possessions WR in Davis & Tajae. I want a guy that adds another element to the offense. 

I wouldn’t say Davis is a possession WR, he has some speed to stretch the field we just don’t use him in that way for some reason

I'd still definitely want to sign a top tier veteran FA WR even if we traded for Ross. I'd look at Ross the same as I'd look at a rookie we drafted in the 5th round. I've said it before, but I'd really like to double down on FA vets and just completely revamp our entire receiving core outside of Davis if we can.  Splurge on a bigger name top FA WR like a Tate or a Tyrell Williams and then circle back around to grab another vet receiver that's a good value pickup. I think Ross for a 5th on his rookie deal still would be good value, but also somebody like Jamison Crowder or Chris Conley could be nice additions on top of a more premium pickup to really enhance our offensive weapons.

He's due under 5M total for the next 2 seasons. While I no longer doubt think the Bengals are looking to move him, they won't give up on him for a 5th at this point. 

They definitely went get their 1st back and I'm sure they understand that. They'll probably push for a 2nd...but a 3rd would probably do it. 

6 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I fell in love with Ross's speed leading up to that draft. He's worth a 5th rounder...but I'd rather us try and sign a vet. We need a vet so damn bad.

That's the other aspect. We do need some veteran leadership at the position. Delanie coming back helps, but we need more of that, and can't rely on an older TE coming off injury to provide that exclusively. 

I don't think they will realistically expect a 2nd or 3rd for Ross. That would have been like us expecting a 3rd or 4th for Kevin Dodd. I think early day 3 is their optimistic price.

Just because you pay 30 thousand dollars for an '89 Buick Skylark doesn't mean you're going to be able to sell it for 25 thousand. You can stand firm on that price and hope someone buys it, but its value is only going to diminish lol.

@ragevsuall17, I'm seeing a 4.67m cap hit in 2019 and 5.45m in 2020. Are you not counting the other ~5m because it's part of the signing bonus and can't be avoided? I'm not sure how that works during a trade. 

8 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I don't think they will realistically expect a 2nd or 3rd for Ross. That would have been like us expecting a 3rd or 4th for Kevin Dodd. I think early day 3 is their optimistic price.

Just because you pay 30 thousand dollars for an '89 Buick Skylark doesn't mean you're going to be able to sell it for 25 thousand. You can stand firm on that price and hope someone buys it, but its value is only going to diminish lol.

@ragevsuall17, I'm seeing a 4.67m cap hit in 2019 and 5.45m in 2020. Are you not counting the other ~5m because it's part of the signing bonus and can't be avoided? I'm not sure how that works during a trade. 

Signing bonus has already been paid... That's where the trading team will have a dead cap hit. The new team will only assume unpaid portions of the contract (salaries and unpaid bonuses, if any). Ross only has those 2 years of manageable salary, and no addtl bonuses. 

Ross isn't an 87 Skylark though. He's a 2017 top 10 vehicle. Maybe they overpaid a little, maybe the polish has lost some of its shine... But that engine still goes 0-100 as fast as any. 

Regardless, Cincy doesnt have to trade him for cap purposes, there is nothing forcing their hand at this moment. They're open to trading him if he no longer fits his needs and they find return value for him. Compared to free agent contracts, he's an excellent value with top notch potential still. The limited FA market points to a sellers market. Tyrell will be going for 10+M a year, Humphries will be going for 8M a year. Ross' potential at 5M for 2 years looks intriguing from that aspect. 

He missed his rookie year but was able to put up 7 tds on only 21 catches last season. This was in spite Driskel taking over the last 5 + games and the Bengals not being able to utilize him properly (10 yards a catch?). 

I'd send a 3rd for him. It also wouldn't stop me from going after another FA. Thing is though, I haven't seen enough to know if Ross would be better suited in the slot. The Bengals only had him in the slot 8% of the time. Were they not using him properly or is he more like Taywan (and DJax), that in spit the size and quickness, appear to be better suited outside? 

Crowder is still my favorite under the radar FA target, but Tate and Cobb are also slot type guys...so it wouldn't make sense if Ross would also be a better fit in the slot.